DUNGEN - ta det lungt :LATE PASS

tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
I know this is so 2004, but I really slep on this record???? Psychedelic swedish folk rock - so Apparently dude is a bit of a crate digger?http://www.dungen-music.com/ramar/index_EN.htm

Comments

• slushslush 691 Posts
    though i am not a fan of the album, its interesting to read that the came to the throwback vibe from digging and sampling. I wouldn't have thought that would have been in the equation. i guess i have a little more appreciation for the approach now... no i still dont care

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    This record is THEE complete and total SHIT!

• I think the music is OK, but I'm not a fan of this guys vocals and the accent guy he's singing with.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

The guy who produced/assisted the band is Stefan Kery well known vinyl collector of the weird and incredbly strange and the guy behind the Xotic Mind label that put out some great psych LP's in the 90's.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    yo hcrink i will give it a second chance only cos i respect your opinion on musical stuffs

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    When I first heard this (playing in a record shop) I thought it was some pakora euro psych thing. I asked what it was and found out it was new, so I asked if they had it on vinyl. they said yes, but it's kinda expensive, like 20 bucks. I was all like that's fine that's like $680 less than I was expecting. haha!

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts

SexyBNyce photo raer

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    bands that make you go

along with Avarus and SHOTM and Joanna Newsom just about all the other "new weird" bullshit that's hot right now.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

GREAT record.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    though i am not a fan of the album, its interesting to read that the came to the throwback vibe from digging and sampling.

my theory is that he bought a copy of "ja da a da" (which i'm assuming is readily avaible in sweden) for it's sample content but fell in love with what lay beyond break, using it as a blueprint for the direction of his music career

ta det lungt was recorded with cubase

• awallawall 673 Posts
    bands that make you go

along with Avarus and SHOTM and Joanna Newsom just about all the other "new weird" bullshit that's hot right now.

how is it "weird"? if by new weird you're refering to the whole "new weird america" thing pushed by wire magazine i don't see any connection

• HamHam 872 Posts
    like at least a fourth of all the swedes i know kinda grew up on pugh rogefeldt and ja d?? ?? d??, so yeah that record was probably in the equation

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

GREAT record.

Not only that, but the live show is a beautiful thing... the record may contain samples, but you can see a live band recreate the thing perfectly right before your very eyes... and if he came through your town already and you missed it be ashamed- it could be a long time before you get another chance.

Dungen is also noteworthy for being one of VERY few instances where soulmarcosa and I's taste in new rock meets... its just that good.

• co-sign on all the good things being said here. this album is incredible and has been in constant
    office and whip rotation for a hot minute.

can we get a lady sovereign "this one's a banga!" graemlin?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

can we get a lady sovereign "this one's a banga!" graemlin?

now ask yourself the same question[/b]

damn, that would be a hot graemlin too. Get to work mike!

• chrischris 287 Posts

SexyBNyce photo raer

hah!

i am in this photo:

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    hah!

i am in this photo:

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

SexyBNyce photo raer

it is bugging me, this photo, I am like "I have seen this view of people before..that wall..."...is that the empty bottle by chance?

• chrischris 287 Posts
    hah!

i am in this photo:

recent developments have inidicated that i actually may not be in that photo at all....

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    I love this damn record.

Has anyone heard that vinyl only EP that he released recently????
    White label with a plain black die-cut sleeve? I have been staring at a copy in a store for a month but I want to know if it holds a candle to the album and if I should pick it up.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Actually, the fact that Dungen broke onto the international market is a bigger shock to me than anything else. And Pughs "Ja, d?? ?? d??" was BIG in Sweden - my dad told me that everybody was going crazy for it at the time because noone had done that kind of music in swedish before. But the fact that "Ta det lugnt" is a hit with the Other music crowd (and the strutters of course) is pretty crazy.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    I love this damn record.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i admit to late pass on this too.. i heard the first Dungen record (which is more flutey and jammy) and was like "eh... i have this record, its by a dude named Pugh"

then this came out and again i didnt really dig it.. then sometime over the summer it just KICKED THE FUCK IN...

shit is really strong.. and the first record is HOT too...

dudes drumming and fiddling is fucking sick...

i likes

• leolyxxxleolyxxx 446 Posts
    I really like this, fantastic lp and the guys in the band are utterly super nice guys all of them, true nice guys that are nothing but sincere and real in every way also i can tell you that Gustav (singer) is learning and is supposed to be starting to get pretty good on the turntable, sweet!

/L

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    the live show is a beautiful thing...

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    ... the record may contain samples,

Really ? what tracks?

I'm glad to see other strutters agree that this swedish dude is

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    [it's_good][/it's_good]

• Yeah, I've been bumping on this for a minute... and it still stands, I heard the new one as well... not quite the same impact overall. but pretty good (ps: I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it, but there is an English version of the 2nd LP as well... and it just sucks). But the live show was really incredible.... 10 minute flute solo intro in tight clothes for 2005= hard as hell / I don't give a flying shit mayne!

my late pass for 2006 is the Black Mountain shit.
    8 minute version of druggernaut is my shiiiiiit.
    Anyone got some ups on these doods?

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    black mountain IS THE BEST ROCK BAND OUT THERE... PERIOD

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    the live show is a beautiful thing...

this was not my experience at all. after the intial fun feeling that i was at a 1975 European art school jam - i thought they sounded pretty thin live. dude's singing does not translate live at all. i liked the piano and flute tracks, but just when things got good, the song ended.

i heart the records though.