protools mixes

lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
ok,making some mixes right now and i need some help. never did this before.here is how i am doing it:1: (from vinyl via technique 12 through numark mixer) record left and right balanced output from mixer to mbox via 1/4 inch cables to 2 seperate tracks. 2: bus the two tracks to one.3: create regions for each tune.4: bounce each tune to disk at file type- aiff/ format-stereo interleaved/ resolution- 24/ sample rate 48000/ set to convert during bounce.5: converting all aiff files to mp3.6: dragging mp3's into toast, burning cd.-------now, i am getting a small space inbetween each track on the cd. i don't want that, my goal is to have an indexed yet consistent flowing mix with no short stops. what am i doing wrong?any pointers?? i've gotten some proper mixes from heads on this board in the past, please break me off with some knowledge! i sure could use it now!thanks in advance!!!

Comments

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Pretty sure your problems are Toast related

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    where should i take the mp3's? just drag em onto a disc? itunes?

watcha say?

p.s. is that hasslehoff on your avatar, chunked up?

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    dont convert to mp3. do the bounce to disk at 44.1k and 16bit and burn those files to audio cd with toast.

the mp3 format puts a hair of dead space on the top of every track. so do the burn with uncompressed audio.. in the end, your mix will be more "hi-fi."

by the way, you can make a stereo audio track in protools so you dont have to do the bussing.

i'm taking "baby steps"

still a serious lil dude on the protools.

bigthanks for the help.

--

anyone who feels like they have something to say about making mixes on protools, feel free to drop some knowledge!!!

i could use some help o'er here. got many many mixes promised to the people. i'll submit something to soulstrut as well, to give a little back!

dont convert to mp3. do the bounce to disk at 44.1k and 16bit and burn those files to audio cd with toast.

the mp3 format puts a hair of dead space on the top of every track. so do the burn with uncompressed audio.. in the end, your mix will be more "hi-fi."

by the way, you can make a stereo audio track in protools so you dont have to do the bussing.

What he said.

No, that's not the Hoff, I just like jazz.

what is the significance of going 44.1 khz and 16 bit res? is this to split the difference in sound quality compared to mp3?

also....
    everytime i open pro tools one window opens asking "where is the waves plug in folder" i select cancel, then the same window opens with the same question, i select cancel, then i get the message "no plugin files were found WAVESHELL=DAE" i then select ok, then protools finally opens.

i'm assuming someone hooked me up with a plugin that i once installed and eventually trashed. but could you decifer what i need to do to once and for all stop this crappy pop up?

stellar vg-- version of "no no no"

que est qui cest? did i get that right?

I think that's Black Uhuru.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    burning a .wav (or separated .wavs for a mix) compared to an mp3 is desired for several reasons. converting to mp3 results in a loss of sound quality. if you are converting to something to mp3 in pro tools, you aren't even using the best encoder out there. also, when you burn to cd, your cd burning application has to then decode the mp3 back to wav in order to burn it and depending on what decoder it uses, it could introduce audio glitches or just result in more loss of sound quality.

16 bit 44.1khz audio is the standard for cd audio. i'm not EXACTLY sure on this (i'm sure someone else here can clarify this) but when recording at higher resolution, dithering needs to be applied when you bounce to 16 bit 44khz. depending on what is used for dithering, you could degrade the quality of the sound or some shit. someone else clarify this or tell me i'm completely wrong?

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    i think the problem is when you 'burning' your CD

you gotta burn it as 'disc-at-once' rather than 'track-at-once'

disc-at-once don't have the silence before each track starts

just checked toast and it was set to DAO. so must be the mp3 thing.

any help on my jackass pop up phenomena?

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    which version of toast are you using? I recall toast 4 had problems w/ gaps between tracks.

Toast is up to 7 right now

toast 6 titanium.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    in toast, up top, there's a menu "time between songs" or something. set that to zero.

it would me more advisable to make you mix on two or three stereo tracks in protools, create another auxilary track as "master fader" then apply a limiter plug in to that master track. this will give the mix a more even level throughout. when you're done, bounce it down as a 44.1 .aiff or .wav, then open that file in soundforge. In soundforge, normalize, create regions, and export by region. you'll be left with your separate tracks that you can burn in order in toast.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    iss there a reason your recording in prottols? ie making edis? blends, layering or something?

i would record the tracks in peak personally... no need for the seperate stereo tracks, bussing

and you can still use any vsts you'd like

in toast, up top, there's a menu "time between songs" or something. set that to zero.

it would me more advisable to make you mix on two or three stereo tracks in protools, create another auxilary track as "master fader" then apply a limiter plug in to that master track. this will give the mix a more even level throughout. when you're done, bounce it down as a 44.1 .aiff or .wav, then open that file in soundforge. In soundforge, normalize, create regions, and export by region. you'll be left with your separate tracks that you can burn in order in toast.

ok. so you're saying soundforge is superior to regioning in protools, plus the normalize is better.

why record to 2 or 3 stereo tracks in protools??

iss there a reason your recording in prottols? ie making edis? blends, layering or something?

i would record the tracks in peak personally... no need for the seperate stereo tracks, bussing

and you can still use any vsts you'd like

protools is my only audio in. i can't use the mbox with anythiing else. for some strange reason even my LIVE doesn't work easily with the mbox. frequent crashes. it won't open if the mbox is plugged in. maybe this stems from the crack i had of live a year ago. (does this mean i will have to wipe the hardrive at some point?)

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    that's what it's made for...multitracking. if you mess up, you can record over it in another track and edit out the bad part. if you make a master fader, which you should always do, you can compress all the tracks using a limiter. when you bounce the file and open the file in soundforge, you can normalize it to get it as loud as possible. soundforge is a post audio program, so it's made for putting all the finishing touches on your bounced files. definitely better for things like mp3s/regions/mastering. protools= recording/mixing soundforge= post audio

• lotusland-

Don't hit cancel when asked where the Waves folder resides. Instead click once on the appropriate button -- for me it's "plug-ins."

ProTools will open and you'll have full access to your Waves plugs.