Am I The Only Loser That Catalogues LP's

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
been redoing this since I lost my information.I'm up to about 550 LP's and on this last go-around I've removed about 75 LP's from the collection so far (bye bye John Abercrombie).Who else is as geeky as your boy?

Comments

• goatboygoatboy 371 Posts
    I'm actually working on creating an Access Database now.
    Should be finished soon, which is when the REAL work will start...

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    been redoing this since I lost my information.

I'm up to about 550 LP's and on this last go-around I've removed about 75 LP's from the collection so far (bye bye John Abercrombie).

Who else is as geeky as your boy?

My fiance keeps telling me to do this, but really I think I would find it boring as hell and I would rather work on a mix tape or something.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    been redoing this since I lost my information.

I'm up to about 550 LP's and on this last go-around I've removed about 75 LP's from the collection so far (bye bye John Abercrombie).

My fiance keeps telling me to do this, but really I think I would find it boring as hell and I would rather work on a mix tape or something.

Shit is more addicting than crack (no joke)

sometimes I got to force myself to stop

• been redoing this since I lost my information.

Shit is more addicting than crack (no joke)

sometimes I got to force myself to stop

Yeah, my fiancee kept bugging me to do it, and then one slow, cold Friday night I sat down with a crate and a bottle of wine, and went for 5 hrs. straight. Finished up the next day, doing the 600 that we live with. Its a great way to review your entire collection.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    i tried, but i fell behind and then they got all mixed up and I gave up. The importatn ones I posted on line.

• manchildmanchild 56 Posts
    Re: Am I The Only Loser That Catalogues LP's
    no. but that doesn't mean the key word still isn't loser. i did it but fell behind and never caught up

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I'm hoping to do this when I finally get a laptop... but its daunting as hell

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    I spent an entire day almost a year ago entering the names and titles of every lp I have (about 800). I'm a little behind since I've brought home so many more and sold some too. Here's to spending some quality time in the near future with my expedit

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I have tried this several times, but my hand washing OCD alert kicks in after I've gone back and forth between the records and keyboard a few times. Also known as, this will never actually get done.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I have tried this several times, but my hand washing OCD alert kicks in after I've gone back and forth between the records and keyboard a few times. Also known as, this will never actually get done.

Damn, I'm pretty OCD about handwashing too but you're worried about whats on your record sleeves?!?!

Unless its obviously nasty or came from someplace suspect I couldn't be arsed!

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    how much info are you using to catalog these? artist, title, label, songs, pressing, RUN OUT GROOVE INFO? how crazy are you getting with it? I have a couple thousand pieces (i really wish i had less), and i couldn't imagine catalogging them by more than artist, title, and genre (if that). I did try once, but in the process i realized i had a lot of records i thought were shitty so i got rid of a few hundred LPs and my list was basically fucked at that point. never went back. i just let my head do the catalogging. If it takes longer to catalog them than to actually listen to the worthwhile songs on LPs, then the caatalog work just isn't worth it to me.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Damn, I'm pretty OCD about handwashing too but you're worried about whats on your record sleeves?!?!

No, just the opposite. (white v. brown keyboard related)

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

That's what my assistant is for.

• dhrupickdhrupick 21 Posts
    i catalog my soul

• Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts
    I'd catalog my shit if I had a good way of doing it. I'm learning Access right now so I can try and set up my own database to keep track of my records and also my albums that are mp3 format. I don't really feel like paying $40 for some software or another and I know it ain't that hard to do your own database, I just haven't ever bothered to learn how yet.

• Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention... one of the main reasons I want to catalog my shit is so I can stop from buying multiple copies of things. I finally went through all my records in the past couple weeks to weed out all the stuff I don't want/need anymore to clear space and damn if I don't have multiples of a lot of stuff. I mean, do I need 6 copies of the Tom Scott album with "Sneakin' In The Back" on it? Do I need 4 copies of the "Outstanding" 12" by the Gap Band? I must have 3 copies of the first Zapp album, a couple copies of some of the Rare Earth albums... The record whoring has gotten to be too much. I have 5 or 6 copies of the "Amen Brother" 45! I think today, as a matter of fact, I bought my 3rd copy of the 12" for "Computer Game" by Yellow Magic Orchestra. I guess I'm collecting all these things for when I start sprouting more ears on my head that can hear things independently.

• I catalog everything I collect/care about. LP's, 12"s, MP3's, movies, autographs, my beats. All in excel.

For lp's: Artist Album Year Label Genre Where Obtained Notes

For 12"s: Artist Songs BPM1 BPM2 BPM3 Year Label Producer Acca? Doubles?

I would never have it any other way. I hiiighly recommend cataloging your shit.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    I wish I catalogged everything. Actually it's not such a big deal because I only have about 2k records... I'm not a super huge packrat.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I started doing this several years ago. I have all my records except the Hip hop cataloged in an excel file with artist, title, label, year. I also catalog all the songs by artist, song, album so if I need to find something but can't remember where it is I can look it up. I started a 3rd excel file to keep track of my purcheses for insurance reasons. Have the date bought, artist, title, label, year and price paid. About a year ago the house 2 down from mine caught fire and I swear to god I thought my house was going to go up in flames when I saw burning embers floating from their house to mine. After that I thought I better put down how much all these pieces of vinyl are worth in case of some disaster.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    I catalogue for insurance purposes. It's a nuisance.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I catalog my stuff on an excel spreadsheet, just artist & title. It was a pain in the ass at first & took me ages but now I'm pretty regular with the updates & it works well. It's real handy if you are bidding on auctions at work and can't remember if you have a certain album or not.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    i dont but i bet i would if i had more time.

heres a thought: if there was a database that listed a sku#/bar code with all known lp atists + titles etc (obviously the database would be ever growing as they were added in over time by all the subscribers), you could download/print a bar code sticker that equalled that records data, and stick it to that lp's bag in your expedit. as lots of info can be encoded in a few lines, it would have all the info and such in it, like label, cat# etc. then you have one of those bar code reading cat thingys plugged into your comp via USB to scan em in or out of your collection... sort of like having inventory of your collection without all the typing and spreadsheets. i guess some stores have just sort of a thing already.... er... yep, just reinventing the wheel over here, pay me no mind!

but still.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    i dont but i bet i would if i had more time.

heres a thought: if there was a database that listed a sku#/bar code with all known lp atists + titles etc (obviously the database would be ever growing as they were added in over time by all the subscribers), you could download/print a bar code sticker that equalled that records data, and stick it to that lp's bag in your expedit. as lots of info can be encoded in a few lines, it would have all the info and such in it, like label, cat# etc. then you have one of those bar code reading cat thingys plugged into your comp via USB to scan em in or out of your collection... sort of like having inventory of your collection without all the typing and spreadsheets. i guess some stores have just sort of a thing already.... er... yep, just reinventing the wheel over here, pay me no mind!

but still.

PUT STICKERS ON MY RAERS????

Fuck. I don't have raers anyways... lol.

I've been meaning to catalogue my shit for ages... I've only got a little less that 1K records so it shouldn't take me THAT long. I've always thought it would be a good way of keeping track of things I'd like to sample... cuz I'm not one of those people that just records clips of songs for future sampling. So if I had a nice database of records, with some sort of flag or switch for "To be sampled" or something... would work real nice. As mentioned it would also be great to trim about 100 records or so that I never listen to or won't ever sample. My pile of "not worth listening but perhaps worth sampling" stuff is getting out of hand.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    hells no. i cant even organize my mp3's

• hells no. i cant even organize my mp3's
    this is me to a T

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    i don't catalogue anything at all now, but when i was a little kid i did that shit with my g.i. joe figures. i wrote some program on our commodore vic 20 that would ask which figure you wanted to know about and then it would kick some shit at you. but then i programmed so much g.i. joe shit on there that the program was too big for the vic 20 to hold. that shit only had like 3K of memory y'all.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    i don't catalogue anything at all now, but when i was a little kid i did that shit with my g.i. joe figures. i wrote some program on our commodore vic 20 that would ask which figure you wanted to know about and then it would kick some shit at you. but then i programmed so much g.i. joe shit on there that the program was too big for the vic 20 to hold. that shit only had like 3K of memory y'all.

Nerd.

• Rich45sRich45s 327 Posts
    I do, I did the vast chunk of it when I was laid up from work which was the only plus point from that, It's in access by Artist, Title, Genre, Label, Release Date, Cat #, Format (Haven't done my cd's and can't see myself ever doing it), Value (the Rich45s made up book of values by and large), condition, Miscellanous stuff( coloured vinyl, etc) and Sample potential - I can't decide wether it's a clever move or I've sucked all the love out of my collection. I then import it into excel as well so you can sort it into ascending order so can alphabetise or by label / cat no etc, also Hotmail doesn't like whatever format Acess saves it in and keeps deleting in it, so it goes into excel so I can have a list of it stored in my Hotmail account so if I'm abroad I got access to what I have, haven't got. If I had a PDA I'd stick it on that too. It doesn't stop me being unable to find something but at least I know I got it somewhere

Once you break the back of it all, it's just a case of keeping it up, but that first hurdle is big.

I really think I need a woman.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    I do, I did the vast chunk of it when I was laid up from work which was the only plus point from that, It's in access by Artist, Title, Genre, Label, Release Date, Cat #, Format (Haven't done my cd's and can't see myself ever doing it), Value (the Rich45s made up book of values by and large), condition, Miscellanous stuff( coloured vinyl, etc) and Sample potential - I can't decide wether it's a clever move or I've sucked all the love out of my collection. I then import it into excel as well so you can sort it into ascending order so can alphabetise or by label / cat no etc, also Hotmail doesn't like whatever format Acess saves it in and keeps deleting in it, so it goes into excel so I can have a list of it stored in my Hotmail account so if I'm abroad I got access to what I have, haven't got. If I had a PDA I'd stick it on that too. It doesn't stop me being unable to find something but at least I know I got it somewhere

Once you break the back of it all, it's just a case of keeping it up, but that first hurdle is big.

I really think I need a woman.

Hey Rich, are you in Texas by any chance? I may have bought some stuff off ya in the recent past.