CARRBORO show report

soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
After DJing last night, I got 4 hours of sleep then awoke bright & early to schlep 14 boxes of records out to the town center for the Carrboro record show. I made about $300 and blew about $90. The other dealers' pickings were slim, but my interesting cops included a mint YOJIMBO soundtrack LP on MGM, and three soul & garage 45s from a dealer's "NC music" section, only one of which turned out to be from NC. A recordbreaking THREE dealers from Japan showed up, toting armfuls of wax out the door every 30 minutes (see above "pickings were slim" comment). Not to be outdone, a recordbreaking TWO hot girls were in attendance: one passed the time giggling at my motel lounge band private press records for sale, the other bought mid-nineties Papas Fritas and Woggles 45s.----------------------Quotable quotes:----------------------Old rock dude #1:"Got any picture discs?"Old rock dude #2 picking up Ruben & The Jets album:"Hey does this..." ME: "No, it's not Zappa-related.""Oh okay." (puts it back)Young return customer from last year:"Do you have any breakdancing music? Old stuff. I'm looking for the soundtrack to that movie BREAKIN." (No can do, so he buys "Genius Rap" and his girlfriend buys Sergio Mendes STILLNESS)"Is Gil Scott-Heron on this?" (dude with beard referring to Last Poets 1st LP - he buys it anyway)Salty classic rock dealer (with $1 box of shitty 12"s):"I hate 12-inches. Nobody buys them."Salty classic rock dealer (with $1 box of shitty 12"s, at my table 30 minutes later):"I hate 12-inches. Nobody buys them."Two out of three of the Japanese dealers:"Do you have any hiphop? Are there any stores with hiphop? Anywhere with twelve-inches?" ----------------------Interesting top-sellers:----------------------Rod McKuen: Live at Carnegie Hall $2Patty Duke LP $3Two copies of "Amen Brother" 45 to two separate people for $3/eaFinal summary:CARRBORO RECORD SCENE: NOT A THREAT TO AUSTIN