Batman Jazz?

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
I was watching the Animated series vol 3. A couple of episodes had jazz soundtracks that were clearly referencing the 60 tv show. Are there any jazz albums from the 60's era that resemble that sound. Omitting the SUN-RA guitar Lp.

Comments

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    This man put out a mellow jazz piano trio in the 60's. It's a private press. I could upload it in Real Headz if somebody needs it.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Neal Hefti has a couple LP's from the 60's that
    might fit the bill, although they are more swingin' mod
    instro pop than straight "jazz" - still, they are probably
    close to what you want:

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Neal Hefti has a couple LP's from the 60's that
    might fit the bill, although they are more swingin' mod
    instro pop than straight "jazz" - still, they are probably
    close to what you want:

Swingin Mod...........Exactly.

Good lookin out.

But what other artists were doing that at the time? I'm sure the musical landscape had to be similar.

Film Noir-ish maybe?

• the marketts did a batman record in the mod/pop vein too
    but my favorite (and probably the jazziest) is the nelson riddle one ...

the marketts did a batman record in the mod/pop vein too
    but my favorite (and probably the jazziest) is the nelson riddle one ...

oh shit!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have that on cassette.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Damn! Please, upload 'em in the :Real Headz: !!!!! Please

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

60s mod swing intertwined with some beat meat.

• I know what you mean, Batmon. I like that kind of music a lot.

Here's a weird version of Batman by the Liverpool Scene. It's great IMO.

Batman Theme

The Neal Hefti stuff really helps but I'm not talkin about literal bat-songs.
    I meant artists who created similar music during the 60's. That pop-jazz-mod shit that played when Batman would be drinkin' milk up in the club.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    The Neal Hefti stuff really helps but I'm not talkin about literal bat-songs.
    I meant artists who created similar music during the 60's. That pop-jazz-mod shit that played when Batman would be drinkin' milk up in the club.

this is pretty close... soundtrack by quincy jones featuring mulitple covers of Monkees songs done in a jazzy big band arrangement with a funky undercurrent and plenty of go go energy... def some music for playboys...

What year?

What year?

69, but it really sounds more like 66-67...

• puppup 133 Posts

Omitting the SUN-RA guitar Lp.

• puppup 133 Posts

Omitting the SUN-RA guitar Lp.

Swingin Mod...........Exactly.

Good lookin out.

But what other artists were doing that at the time? I'm sure the musical landscape had to be similar.

Film Noir-ish maybe?

hmmm, if this is what you're looking for, there is tons of dope stuff... lounge shit, music that hugh heffner motherfuckers would put on their "hi fi"... a personal favorite of mine that i've never been able to track down for cheap is:

the OST to "johnny cool"... done by Billy May, one of Sinatra's arrangers, this is very smooth, orchestrated shit... def. not quite crazy mod stuff, but on the edge... obviously Lalo Shifren's early 60's stuff falls in this ballpark, as does John Barry's stuff... that smartly orchestrated shit that still has some swing/soul underneathe the sophisticated charts... most of quincy jone's 60's shit has this vibe... also, there are tons of "music to au go go" type LP's like Ray Anthony's "c'mon and swim", that are more on the pop side of it, but still have the jazz touch in 'em...

basically anything with "discotheque" or "au go go" in the title from 60-66 is gonna have what you want...

can't forget Henry Mancini either...