update on the European Soulstrut Meeting

GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
First Soulstrut Meeeting for Europeans and affiliates this summer[/b] When:[/b] August, 4th/5th 2006Where:[/b] Cologne, GermanyWhat:[/b] Friday night: Soulstrut club night at Scope's "Disco Diamant" with Soulstrut DJs. Saturday noon - afternoon: outside BBQ - meet, talk, trade (bring your rares), listen, drink, eat (tofu or meat or vegetables or fish), get free t-shirts (number one reason to come by)Saturday afternoon - night: inside/outside bar event - Soulstrut DJs play music (any Soulstrutter can DJ, 20-30 minutes each, you need to enter your name on a list on location), liquid refreshments, talk, hang-out, relax What I need from you: [/b]-A NAME FOR THIS EVENT. PLEASE MAKE SUGGESTIONS. -Tell me if and when you are coming by. No official invitations needed, but it would be nice to know how many people are going to attend the BBQ (main event for Soulstrutters) and bar night. My estimation: around 20-40 people Wanna DJ at the Soulstrut club night?[/b]Cool, but...no hip hop! Funk, Soul, Jazz only (hot club tunes!). Crowd must move all the time. No inside Soulstrut jokes (no Laffy Taffy, no Leo Sayer, no breakbeatraer). PM me if you are interested in DJing at the Friday event. MP3 mixes would be nice. I (we) need to know what and how you play. No need to scratch your raers.Further notes:[/b]I'm going to send out extensive Flyers to let you know about Saturday's BBQ and bar night. If you don't know where to stay in Cologne, please PM me. We could book a Soulstrut dorm room at a nearby youth hostel (ayo) or even offer you free accomodation at friend's places (double ayo). If you want to spend some more time in Germany and would like to go digging, feel free to ask some German Soulstrutters. I might be going on a trip to Frankfurt by car on Monday. Hot spots guaranteed.

Comments

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Who wants in on a North American soulstrut carpool to the gathering? Maybe we can all pitch in and charter a plane. That way we could stop in Australia and pick up Sheep, but he would have to pay for the extra gas.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    I forgot to say: I posted this on Vinyl Vulture too. I hope you don't mind.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Who wants in on a North American soulstrut carpool to the gathering? Maybe we can all pitch in and charter a plane. That way we could stop in Australia and pick up Sheep, but he would have to pay for the extra gas.

so you still wanna DJ at our party?

• Who wants in on a North American soulstrut carpool to the gathering? Maybe we can all pitch in and charter a plane. That way we could stop in Australia and pick up Sheep, but he would have to pay for the extra gas.

Soulstrut - International Playboy Edition

• Anybody knows how many europeans on soulstrut ?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Anybody knows how many europeans on soulstrut ?

now that you're asking... i have no idea. 3? 4?

uhm, what's up? wrong forum? wrong date? say something!

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    no hip hop! Funk, Soul, Jazz only (hot club tunes!).

This is very suspect, to say the least...who decided that? Private mind garden on autopilot? I want some HipHop, too....or will the stylepolice come after me and arrest me for not playing that kpmraer? Even if folks would play some laffy taffy (which i wouldn't) it would be fine with me...hell, as long as people have a good time, everything could get played...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    no hip hop! Funk, Soul, Jazz only (hot club tunes!).

This is very suspect, to say the least...who decided that? Private mind garden on autopilot? I want some HipHop, too....or will the stylepolice come after me and arrest me for not playing that kpmraer? Even if folks would play some laffy taffy (which i wouldn't) it would be fine with me...hell, as long as people have a good time, everything could get played...

There are so many hip hop clubs and DJs out there. I was just saying: please don't play a straight hip hop set.

Some people might get bored listening to hip hop at a Soulstrut meeting. Plus, we were invited by Scope. He's hosting this. Let him decide. But I bet the usual crowd at his club would be very dissapointed to hear hip hop sets by Soulstrut DJs. Playing one or two nice hip hop tracks is no big issue, but straight hip hop sets? I don't know.

It will be a Disco Diamant night on Friday. The club night DJs must be ready to play some danceable stuff that fits in.
    You can play some hip hop on Saturday. No problem. I like hip hop too. It's not about me. It's about the club crowd.

Keep making suggestions.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

This is very suspect, to say the least...who decided that? Private mind garden on autopilot? I want some HipHop, too....or will the stylepolice come after me and arrest me for not playing that kpmraer?

really mang. i knew some german would come up and say something like that. it's always the same...

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts

This is very suspect, to say the least...who decided that? Private mind garden on autopilot? I want some HipHop, too....or will the stylepolice come after me and arrest me for not playing that kpmraer?

really mang. i knew some german would come up and say something like that. it's always the same...

i thought it was strange aswell, hiphop is usually what keeps the crowd moving. the djs better sneak in a couple of proto hiphop tunes.

the date is perfect for me, i thought this would collide with my trip to finland (august 12). i just hope i have enough cash!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    sigh!

I'll ask Scope about the Hip Hop. You're right. The crowd dances to R&B and Hip Hop most. Maybe we can add a Techno and House DJ too.

I'll ask...

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

A NAME FOR THIS EVENT. PLEASE MAKE SUGGESTIONS.

WE FUCK EVERYTHING

don't get me wrong, grope...i hear what u sayin'...I just wanted the night to be fun and not fall into this too nerdy thing (oh, which one was that? Oh, let me see, i have this pressing blablabla) too much...of course it is part of the game and i like it, but not too much...same with the hiphop...i would get bored if we had only hiphop of course...and if you ever attended a disco diamant party, there is all kinds of music mixed up, not just one style...apparently i might spin there on the first friday of april if it all works out...and i knew some German would complain about Hiphop

------------
    "Disconnected from the streets" is the norm in Germany.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

WE FUCK EVERYTHING

I see. Very encouraging. Thanks a lot! Thread over. Fuck you too, turd-boy.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    sigh!

I'll ask Scope about the Hip Hop. You're right. The crowd dances to R&B and Hip Hop most. Maybe we can add a Techno and House DJ too.

I'll ask...

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

WE FUCK EVERYTHING

You don't remember that webpage called blackmusic.de that had a title on the top of the page that said "WE FUCK EVERYTHING"? It was all over the board a while ago. There were a bunch of JPEG's.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

don't get me wrong, grope...i hear what u sayin'...I just wanted the night to be fun and not fall into this too nerdy thing (oh, which one was that? Oh, let me see, i have this pressing blablabla) too much...of course it is part of the game and i like it, but not too much...same with the hiphop...i would get bored if we had only hiphop of course...and if you ever attended a disco diamant party, there is all kinds of music mixed up, not just one style...apparently i might spin there on the first friday of april if it all works out...and i knew some German would complain about Hiphop

what game? what nerds? who said anything about playing rare stuff only? pressings?

i don't know what to say.

what game? what nerds? who said anything about playing rare stuff only? pressings?

i don't know what to say.

right...it will all be about beautiful ladies, dancin to nice music and havin a good time and talkin about the football worldchampion and all that...i forgot...no record talk, no vinyl analism! I can live with that...

btw...will hawkeye do his camerathing?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

WE FUCK EVERYTHING

You don't remember that webpage called blackmusic.de that had a title on the top of the page that said "WE FUCK EVERYTHING"? It was all over the board a while ago. There were a bunch of JPEG's.

Blackmusic.de? Uhm, no. Never heard of it. My bad.

i believe it was realgangsta.de

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

btw...will hawkeye do his camerathing?

He's going to be in Chemnitz at the Splash! hip hop festival on that weekend.

What can I do?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

WE FUCK EVERYTHING

That website was hilarious and instantly added the phrase "WE FUCK EVERYTHING" to the soulstrut vernacular.

• It sounds very chillin'! but the distant is probably too far. How far is Cologne from the border between Germany and Denmark? If I'm out traveling and came near then I would definitely try to make it through.

mcdee.....: did you get my PM/e-mail?

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Why doesn't the whole board just meet on bizzo's island?

• A NAME FOR THIS EVENT. PLEASE MAKE SUGGESTIONS.

WE FUCK EVERYTHING

don't get mad homey ....it's not easy organizing a (international ?) gig especially when it's unknown how many people are interested

how many europeans on here ....????

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

WE FUCK EVERYTHING

don't get mad homey ....it's not easy organizing a (international ?) gig especially when it's unknown how many people are interested

how many? how are we supposed to know. maybe 100? 150?

i just don't get how people are always complaining about the silliest shit. posting inaproppriate stuff. i'm trying my best to set up a meeting for people that are interested in good records. people that have something to talk about. nice people. record people. please don't get me wrong. one fourth of my collection is hip hop. i used to be a fan.

i am a little upset. you're right. maybe because i get the feeling that people don't appreciate my thread. how come the first reply is a complaint? what's the big deal? no hip hop? come on! people are going to play hip hop anyways. regardless what i say. i just don't want to have yet another hip hop club night. of course, people move to r&b and hip hop easily. i'm just thinking: maybe we could stick to funky soulful music that people can dance to. i heard most hip hop over and over again at clubs. maybe we could surprise each other with unknown (no need to be expensive or rare) stuff. stuff that people don't know. but stuff that still keeps a crowd moving.
    if we can't do it, who can?

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    [ What I need from you: [/b]
    -A NAME FOR THIS EVENT. PLEASE MAKE SUGGESTIONS.

- Dont hate the humperdinck

- Il Strutoria

- soulstrut.de

- SchnitzelStrut

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    [ What I need from you: [/b]
    -A NAME FOR THIS EVENT. PLEASE MAKE SUGGESTIONS.

- Dont hate the humperdinck

- Il Strutoria

- soulstrut.de

- SchnitzelStrut

uhm, no thanks. we should try to find a name that we can stick to over the years.

COLOGNE:

maybe we could stick to funky soulful music that people can dance to. i heard most hip hop over and over again at clubs. maybe we could surprise each other with unknown (no need to be expensive or rare) stuff. stuff that people don't know. but stuff that still keeps a crowd moving.

• A NAME FOR THIS EVENT. PLEASE MAKE SUGGESTIONS.

WE FUCK EVERYTHING

how many? how are we supposed to know. maybe 100? 150?

i just don't get how people are always complaining about the silliest shit. posting inaproppriate stuff. i'm trying my best to set up a meeting for people that are interested in good records. people that have something to talk about. nice people. record people. please don't get me wrong. one fourth of my collection is hip hop. i used to be a fan.

i am a little upset. you're right. maybe because i get the feeling that people don't appreciate my thread. how come the first reply is a complaint? what's the big deal? no hip hop? come on! people are going to play hip hop anyways. regardless what i say. i just don't want to have yet another hip hop club night. of course, people move to r&b and hip hop easily. i'm just thinking: maybe we could stick to funky soulful music that people can dance to. i heard most hip hop over and over again at clubs. maybe we could surprise each other with unknown (no need to be expensive or rare) stuff. stuff that people don't know. but stuff that still keeps a crowd moving.

the more they see you tryin hard the more they enjoy come out and post ironic jokes ...

....I'm with you, I prefer good old funk and soul over hip hop but it seems too many hip hop heads are on line right now to face them

and anyway you can't get in rush, cause maybe the people that could be interested may could be offline now