Record Shops in Seattle?

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
Hey I'm going to Seattle for the first time this weekend and i was wondering what the best places to go for original jazz, funk, soul records are. any reccomendations?

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    speaking of... i'll be up that way april 15-19. what's up c town? yell at my pms.

• I don't know what spots the other Seattle strutters hit, but the place I fuck with the most is Respect Records. Their address is 1315 East Pine St. Real small with good prices. Hit it up for sure...

• Soul/jazz section at Respect is pretty thin nowadays... but they've got a ton of hiphop and reggae. They're good people, it's worth stopping by.

Jive Time is the local collector-oriented store. There's one in Fremont with more soul and jazz and one on Capitol Hill with rock and 12"s. It's not cheap but they usually have good stock.

Bop Street in Ballard: insane owner, kind of picked over, and yet things pop up. I haven't been over there in a minute.

Two indie rock stores with used vinyl, you might get lucky:
    Easy Street in lower Queen Anne (it's on Mercer)
    Sonic Boom in Fremont has a 'vinyl basement'.

The antique mall in Fremont (underneath Starbucks / Thai restaurant) has a bunch of stalls with records.

There's a few others, but the law of diminishing returns sets in pretty quick... I also like Wall of Sound on Capitol Hill. It's split with an indie magazine store and although it's mostly CDs and reissues, I usually buy a Steve Reich record or something.

• Joemoe

Sonic Boom vinyl basement is pretty much a waste of time

only dollar bin records at the antique mall.

Check out 45's room & basement at Bop Street

Georgetown Records is ok.

• Damn, homie came with the jpegs...

• Good call on Georgetown records, I forgot that one! I'd lump it in with Easy Street and Sonic Boom in the 'you might get lucky' category, but it's a nice shop and a cool neighborhood.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I'll be at Rubato records in West Seattle tomorrow til 5, theres an Easy St. records across the street too. I'll give you deals if you come in, bring some trade stuff if you'd like. Holler at Magic Jackson or myself on the PM's if you wanna get a drink later. I live right next to the Easy St. downtown, I'll dig with you there and take you to Underdawg records too if you'd like. Jive Time is your best bet though, super knowledgable and nice staff. No no records at Bop St. stay away...

• thanks to all who posted...those jpegs are much appreciated!!!

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Good start guys but your missing a few! There are numerous used shops on University ave., Golden Oldies on 45th, The Burlington Coat Factory in Edmonds, Various spots in Tacoma, private dealers, etc. Good luck.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

A few days ago I found good stuff at Zions Gate and Everyday Music on Broadway.
    Jive Time... ...slightly overpriced.

Everyday music overprices their rock. But has more resonabley priced soul records. Nothing raer but I got:
    Aretha- Young,Gifted & Black
    JJ Cale- Trubador
    Ramsey- Upendo whatever and Back to Roots
    Instant Funk- V
    Steve Miller- Macho City
    Bloodrock- USA
    Sopw/Camel- Miraculous Trip 2 moon

all for like 2 bucks each.

here's where someone chimes in & says I overpaid

lol

ps Im headed back to SF tomarow but Im going to stop by and try to meet LaserWolf @ JumpJump on my way. I'm excited as this will be my first real world encounter with a fellow stutter that I know of.

[quote Golden Oldies on 45th
    I thought I was the last person on earth that goes there. 3.99 new age and private folk burners that have been there for YEARS.

• [quote Golden Oldies on 45th

I thought I was the last person on earth that goes there. 3.99 new age and private folk burners that have been there for YEARS.
    Haha, I ran into Supreme there a few months ago while I was getting my oil changed at the Jiffie Lube next door...

• r.i.p. jam records

i know jimmy was goofy, but i pretty much went there everyday the month i was in seattle in 2003. first time i went in i found Odyssey and an armful of choice pepitas. all kinds of other things that month.
    i slept right outside the fremont flea market, so i was the first one there for a month too. caught a couple things, but no stark reality

definitely a good record town if you put time in

whahappenin joe?

• whahappenin joe?

Nothin' man... just got back from Brazil, trying to get out to Hawaii to hang out with my girl. Went to a party last night where a couple dudes were dressed like Napoleon Dynamite wearing Hamas scarves. Uhh right.

I'll send you a PM...

• chrischris 287 Posts
    The Burlington Coat Factory in Edmonds

your local burlington coat factory has records???

Shhhh!

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

NO records in Seattle and it rains all the time. You don't want to come here!

Theres one record shop all tourists should hit though, its in the Pike Place Market. hahaha

Theres one record shop all tourists should hit though, its in the Pike Place Market. hahaha

Holy Cow! That's the actual name of the store, not my response. It's hit and miss. I have found good shit in there but not in a long time.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

ps Im headed back to SF tomarow but Im going to stop by and try to meet LaserWolf @ JumpJump on my way. I'm excited as this will be my first real world encounter with a fellow stutter that I know of.

I just wanted to follow up and say that Dan is cool and I had a lot of fun checking out his shop. I want to make it to the next Night Owl show if I can.