Good records on the Kapp label

lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
edited November 2015 in Record Collecting
I recently got a copy of the Unifics lp "sittin' at the court of love", and was looking at the insert sleeve, when I spied the lone-wolf-of-coolness Silver Apples s/t among the labels other numerous easy listening releases. I got to thinking that this and the unifics are the only lps I have on the label, and the insert not giving me much direction makes me have to put the question to you guys. Other good Kapp stuff?

Comments

• 45 or Lp?

Freddie Butler on Kapp is really good, also Ruby & Romantics..

..plenty of nooooothu'n sowl on Kapp

/L

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts

..plenty of nooooothu'n sowl on Kapp

/L

As I suspected, but their inner sleeves give no indication (not even the unfics) that they had a soul branch.

thanks leo

• I recently got a copy of the Unifics lp "sittin' at the court of love", and was looking at the insert sleeve, when I spied the lone-wolf-of-coolness Silver Apples s/t among the labels other numerous easy listening releases. I got to thinking that this and the unifics are the only lps I have on the label, and the insert not giving me much direction makes me have to put the question to you guys. Other good Kapp stuff?

Hesitations - Soul Superman (Kapp)- Fantastic N. Soul. So much better than their later work.

Nightcrawlers - Little Black Egg (Kapp) - Awesome early garage record.

Freddy Butler - Dab of Soul (Kapp) - Don't have this one myself, but I hear it's pretty good.

• Freddy Butler - Dab of Soul (Kapp) - Don't have this one myself, but I hear it's pretty good.

As i said earlier, it is really good, his "they say i'm afraid" is the same backing track as "crying clown" by Billy Sharae which i love..

I really love Jaibi "you got me" aswell, deep soul perfection..

/L

• The Latin Souls two records are on the Kapp label. Their first LP is backed by Pete Rodriguez's band and smokes, the second one is hot too, but I don't know who played on it.

Cosign on The Hesitations, Soul Superman is the album to get. "Where we're at" is really mediocre imo. How's their Born Free LP?

I like Kapp, but don't see too many of their records around either.

• I was going to mention this one, but it almost seems like a Kapp's dying gasp. Am I the only person on the planet that thinks it's over-rated?

• I was going to mention this one, but it almost seems like a Kapp's dying gasp. Am I the only person on the planet that thinks it's over-rated?

Nope, i'm with you also, some good moments here but not really worth the "heat".. good guy who reissued it though

/L

• Jason, you need to wake up at 6 am, smoke one, snuggle with your lady and put this LP on.
    Over-rated the Perhacs is not, it is an exercise in the sublime.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Apostles: Six Pack

Which is a nice funk instro on 45

There's also some Vernon Garrett on 45 and I see a listing for "Harvey Clark and The Dawn Monet Singers" which I've never seen before...

• Some Kapp funk 45s:

Vernon Garrett ???We People In The Ghetto/ You Blew My Mind??? (Kapp K-2088)
    Vernon Garrett ???Little Black Woman/ Long Lonely Nights??? (Kapp K-2097)
    Shelly Fisher "I???ll Leave You (Girl) (For Somebody New)/ Saint James Infirmary" (Kapp K-2114)
    Jesse G. "A Two-Faced Friend Ain???t No Good/ Get In The Groove" (Kapp K-998)
    Harvey Clark and the Dawn Monet Singers "Holy Poly/ Do Your Own Thing" (Kapp K-980)

• I like el chicano---senor blues is way nice off their 'celebration' lp, and I like viva tirado off their other...I think there was even a 'best of' lp by them

• nrichnrich 932 Posts

I was going to mention this one, but it almost seems like a Kapp's dying gasp. Am I the only person on the planet that thinks it's over-rated?

not to turn this into a Perhacs thread, but I would tend to agree with you on this as well. It's good but I think tracks on that Window lp are much better than this album.
    Not to say this isn't good... just over-rated.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I don't understand this 'over-rated' concept - compared to what? 'SS approved status?'

her lyrics are obtusely 'of the period' on a few tracks, sure...

but "I'm seeing silences between leaves..."

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

Over-rated the Perhacs is not, it is an exercise in the sublime.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Nightcrawlers - Little Black Egg (Kapp) - Awesome early garage record.

I was going to list this one, but since it already got mentioned,
    let me just massively co-sign - one of my favorite albums of all time.
    Awesome folk rock/garage with a real rootsy feel to it.

Here's a track from it, " Who Knows "

• I have that Unifics Sitting in the Court of Love and I like that album a lot, do they have any other good albums? Or is that it?

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    I don't understand this 'over-rated' concept - compared to what? 'SS approved status?'

her lyrics are obtusely 'of the period' on a few tracks, sure...

but "I'm seeing silences between leaves..."

compared to how I hear most other folks rave about it (not only here), that's all.
    I think it's good, just not 'slap-your-grandmother' good.

no hatt, carry on

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

This is the single most dangerous LP ever recorded.......it stands as the benchmark of "Mellow Female Soft Psych" LP's and there really aren't more than 2-3 other LP's within that genre that even come close to being as good......HOWEVER.....collectors have tried to build a collection around the Perhacs LP and have been suckered into buying 100's of lame/bad/awful female folk LP's.......that Vashti Bunyan LP sounds like Alice & The Chipmunks on barbituates.

Gimme Nancy Priddy....that good Cheryl Dilcher LP and a few others and shut that whole genre down!!

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    Vernon Garrett ???Little Black Woman???

Great track, this is on a Kapp Records comp called "Golden Soul Vol.1". And co-sign on the El Chicano, especially "Viva Tirado".

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Beat me to it. You and everybody else, I see.

Oh - how is this?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Just picked up that Karen Dalton this weekend - quite good.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Ruthann Friedman "constant companion" is that real schitt.

• Good records on Kapp? Can't forget the Searchers, the Brit Invasion band who had a string of hits ("Needles & Pins," "Don't Throw Your Love Away," "Needles & Pins," etc.). And on Kapp's Congress subsidiary, Shirley Ellis ("The Name Game," "Nitty Gritty").

Congress also released that J.J. Jackson album, The Greatest Little Soul Band In The Land, if you care. Maybe I would, 'cept that it looks to be a Blood, Sweat & Tears horn-rock kinda thing, and the album cover (with Jackson conducting an "orchestra" of little kids) is too cheesy to even think about buying.

• TNGTNG 234 Posts
    Jaibi's "You Got Me" single is fantastic. Godin comped it on Deep Soul Tresures 1 and I immediately scooped one up. If you can find it for less than $100, jump on it. LA heads: Kapp was in your backyard, bought by MCA in 67 who subsequently deleted almost every title. Stock was sold for pennies on the dollar. It's out there... hundreds of sealed Perhacs LPs stacked up in a warehouse in Corona or Riverside or some other awful place.

Avoid Budgie.

• LA heads: Kapp was in your backyard, bought by MCA in 67 who subsequently deleted almost every title. Stock was sold for pennies on the dollar. It's out there... hundreds of sealed Perhacs LPs stacked up in a warehouse in Corona or Riverside or some other awful place.

You're missing part of the story. The Linda Perhacs would have come out while MCA owned Kapp - they kept the label going for a few years (until early '73), they didn't just dump the whole catalog willy-nilly.

Avoid Budgie.

Then sell me your copy of their LP, 'cause the 45 I have isn't bad! Good pseudo-Sabbath hard rock (and I'm not even a Sabbath fan).

Another classic Kapp record to look out for: the Good Rats' self-titled LP from '69, the missing link between 60's garage and 70's metal (even with the occasional horn section!).

• slushslush 691 Posts
    burnin question: is the karen dalton albums that hard to come by? ive had a heck of a time trying to get 'its so hard to tell whose gonna love you best'--- i figured id have seen it by now, its on capitol and shit. talk about an exercise in the sublime. no knocking perhacs i love her to pieces but damn, karen got that lonesome vibe that is rarer that the parallelograms lp

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Just picked up that Karen Dalton this weekend - quite good.

See, I found this album 3 times last year and sold it every time. I just couldn't get into it. I somehow found her voice really grating. Now the Perhacs, on the other hand, is something I will ride for 'til I die.

Anybody not convinced that the Perhacs album is indeed the "unquestioned queen of the hill of female psychedelic albums" should read the review below:

http://lysergia.com/LamaReviews/reviews6.htm

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Budgie is the shit, I forgot their early material was on Kapp in the US

A friend of mine had the suited birdman tattooed on her upper arm