What records do I need?

Comments

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    What records do I need?
    The Teachers

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    What records do I need?
    The Teachers

I honestly don't keep any James Moody. I had "Teachers," but just got rid of it. There's usually only one track I like on the albums I've heard of his - "Unchained" on the aforementioned album. "Sax and Flute Man" on Paula has a couple nice moments.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    James Moody is great. No heavy Funk, but fantastic Jazz. You need to recognize. He's a fantastic flute player. He played on many great records.

I like the Teachers LP on Perception most. He plays with The Albert on that one.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    James Moody is great. No heavy Funk, but fantastic Jazz. You need to recognize. He's a fantastic flute player. He played on many great records.

I like the Teachers LP on Perception most. He plays with The Albert on that one.

I kind of do recognize what's up about James Moody; full albums of his material is just not for me.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    pffffttt.... dude has like one drum break. Pass.

• maybe it would help to say iam not after breaks, but albums with one or two good tracks, or even an album's worth of good material

• the song "Moody's Mood for Love" is indispensable. and easy to find. version w/ Eddie Jefferson is great.

oh and cats who are disrespectfellatin:
    Moody's a national f*kking treasure.
    but i guess you guys would say "Charlie Parker? pfft. no drum breaks." but whatever, i realize its not your bag. that's cool. but i can't sit idly by watching Moody get dissed. peace all.

(edit: co-cosine on The Teachers for jazz-funk or -rock Moody. great album)

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    the song "Moody's Mood for Love" is indispensable. and easy to find. version w/ Eddie Jefferson is great.

oh and cats who are disrespectfellatin:
    Moody's a national f*kking treasure.
    but i guess you guys would say "Charlie Parker? pfft. no drum breaks." but whatever, i realize its not your bag. that's cool. but i can't sit idly by watching Moody get dissed. peace all.
    Yes. All of you who are hatting on James Moody, please stop.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I will co-sign on "the Teachers".

• but i guess you guys would say "Charlie Parker? pfft. no drum breaks."

HA!

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    pffffttt.... dude has like one drum break. Pass.

...The Teachers, CHUUCH.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    please excuse, i didn't want to say that anyone was hating on James. But Jazz is often getting the these days. no need for that.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Great version of 'Freedom Jazz Dance' on

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Word. Check his cover of "World is a ghetto" too. Forgot the album name.

• Word. Check his cover of "World is a ghetto" too. Forgot the album name.

sax & flute man

• general concensus seems to be accurate:

these 2 albums aren't as jazzy as the majority of his material, though. that's probably why they stand out. Moody plays great jazz too.

• 'beyond this world' lp on vanguard, 'you follow me' is one for the nucleus fans. fortunately an instrumental, i say that because if you've heard one of the vocal tracks off the album, I doubt you've picked it up.

'if you grin (you're in)' from 'running the gamut' on scepter sounds like a groovy lalo schifrin party tune.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    some nice mellow jazzfunk off moody's vanguard albums:

stefanie
    funky jazz walk
    a funky aura
    nairobi to soulville
    you follow me
    sun journey

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Check out the Argo LPs. I have 'Last Train From Overbrook' & it is awesome.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    He also plays on Dizzy's Perception LP's.

Dude recorded solid material for some of the best labels over
    the course of decades. Skilled & soulful.

• "feelin' it together" on muse has a s dope version of jobim's wave with kenny barron on rhodes