Nicola Conte Appreciation Post...

meikel_neitmeikel_neit 110 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
boy boy...just been listening over at ttl and tunes.co.uk to new released stuff that i missed in the past two weeks, and i stumble over two new releases from the italian king of latin... i like his old stuff, have the 2 lps and a newer 12", but the reworks he and his quintet do of old jazz tracks, boy boy boy... take a listen

Comments

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    His Blue Note album was a huge disappointment to me, but I really enjoyed his previous LP on Schema.

Dude is grumpy.

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    Welcome to Euro Strut!

Sorry but I can't join you here. I'm not into his stuff at all. All of his stuff that I checked sounded like an acid jazz update to me and I'm the biggest acid jazz hater out here.

• what a shame, oli

brought some nice acid jazz 12" back from diggin nijmegen.
    records are (as we venture deeper into eurostrut) quite cheap in the NL, lotsa eurobinheat to be found.

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    yeah, i'll second the shame on you olski statement.

nicola conte is the shit. fucking genius, anyone denying this fact is a HATER!! or someone who doesn't care about quality brasilian music. compare nicola's compositions to any of the other NU bossa competitors, he is soooo ahead of the game. haven't gotten down with the blue note release, but i tracked through it one afternoon and i liked the vibe for sure.

the dudes from jazzanova have the nerve to talk shit about nicola conte.... more hateration. most of this nujazz scene music is made for people to buy mall clothes to, but nicola's sound is that of jazz music and not trendy mall clothes music.

check his version of "mastered the art" by greyboy. also is newer "bossa ahead remix" 12". this stuff sets clubs on fire gentleman.

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts

• I second that. Too much Brazilelectro for suburban yuppies. But, Conte is fresh - my favourite track is his killer rework of Aldemaro Romero's Tema de la Onda... pure nu-bossa bliss. Jazzanova stuff for me is hit or miss, yes, they have some great tracks, but I find the nu-jazz genre to be overly saturated. BTW, I've yet to hear the original Tema de la Onda by A. Romero... anyone have the mp3?

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Utmost of Co-signs. Huge Nicola Conte fan over here. Buy all his stuff when I see it.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    hell yes a nicola conte thread!

nicola conte - il planeta x

i always loved this track for some reason. b-side of the jet sounds single, dont think it was on the album?

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    That JET SOUNDS album is dope. Nicola Conte on Gilles Peterson played a good jazz set recently (as I'm sure he's done many times) and talked about only playing original vinyl. Seems like a cool guy to me.