Avant garde/psych/free jazz monster

progbeatzprogbeatz 451 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
So a local collector/acquaintence of mine recently spent about 60 bucks on this record-refer to popsike.com(Interestingly enough this "collector" is a 14 yr old drum student of mine who is seriously addicted to krautrock)He bought this record off e-bay based on the fact that it was described as "avant garde/psych/free jazz" and is an "unknown" German raer. He lent me the record just so I could hear how bad it was.This record is nothing but German church music,each song followed by some literd gical spoken word stuff-in german of course.My point is,there is nothing psychy,jazzy or avant garde about-at all. AT ALL!! I've seen hundreds of dull pop/singer-songwriter/lounge/whatever records described as psych/acid etc... we've all seen them.But this is by far the worst example of over-hyping a terd I've ever seen.A close second would be Ashley Johnson (Records Around the World) listing a record called The Wax Wizards for $150(which actually sold!)He described it as "rare 70's sounding hard prog". A more accurate description would be "early 80's Billy Ocean sounds" Ashley knows his records,that's just a blatant hype job.There are so many examples out there it's endless.I'm curious to hear some other extreme examples.And btw,don't buy the Cogwheel record from Germany unless you like "weather channel" music.Rasputin and the Monks is not psych btw...I could go on and on.Please share some doozeys.

Comments

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    the dealer ought feel guilt that if he learned that he actually mis-hyped a record to a 14 year old exploring free jazz.

the cover actually does look more like church organ, though.

• If you gave that kid a copy of Ameson on BYG his head would probably pop off.

• Hmm...I have a Cogwheel album from the late 70's that I think ain't bad. Then again, I like some of that weather channel synth shit. If memory serves correct, it has some decent breaks (if that's your thing).

• Hmm...I have a Cogwheel album from the late 70's that I think ain't bad. Then again, I like some of that weather channel synth shit. If memory serves correct, it has some decent breaks (if that's your thing).

That's probably the one I'm refering to.Was it put out by an eyeglass company? Yeah it does have breaks and bubbly synth stuff,but the same poor kid got conned into buying it cause it was described as "cosmic" krautrock.

Come on I know y'all have seen some records described as "funk" that don't even have drums on them.

Examples please

That's probably the one I'm refering to.Was it put out by an eyeglass company? Yeah it does have breaks and bubbly synth stuff,but the same poor kid got conned into buying it cause it was described as "cosmic" krautrock.

Come on I know y'all have seen some records described as "funk" that don't even have drums on them.

Examples please

Yep, that's the one...I didn't like all the classical influences when I first played it but bottom line, it's a pretty experimental, creative record with lots of ideas (especially considering who financed it). Not classic by any means, but could be way worse. Does have some nice moments. But again, bottom line...you are all too right about people overhyping records as things that they are not. Or just plain using terms that they don't even understand..."Northern Soul" by people who have no clue what the fuck northern is...probably the most misused term on soul records.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    RURAL

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    your avatar is more gangster than mine somehow

• but at least they're described as "obscure folk and country",probably pretty accurate.Now,if they were described as " bent,acid folk madness" that'd be along the lines of what I'm talking about.

I've got insomnia and i wanna see some disgusting examples.Thanks

No,I'm not drunk just bored and can't sleep

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

I can't believe that went so high, makes me want to start picking those up from the dollar bins myself!

Its hard for me to feel sorry for this kid- spending RIDICULOUS loot on records due to ebay descriptions EVEN AFTER already getting burned doing this... he's practically timmy digalot. I got burned buying a $10 record off ebay I didn't like one time and never did it again!

Seriously, if he's such a fan he should already know a lot of records that are LEGITIMATELY good that he could spend $60 on easily...

• yeah I mean it sucks when sellers pretty much blatantly lie, but in the end you are responsible for knowing what you're buying...

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    questions of differring tastes are one thing, but blatantly lying is

stuff gets described as 'psych' or acid-folk & it's just some christians strumming kum-bai-yah & warbling offkey.

I still plan on listing all shitty indie lounge acts doing Bacharach covers as "Rare private press soft psych" - and raking in the dough, yo!

AND YOU CAN'T STOP ME!!!

MmmmmWAHAHAHA!!!

• :

Seriously, if he's such a fan he should already know a lot of records that are LEGITIMATELY good that he could spend $60 on easily...

So I Suppose when you were 14yrs old you knew every record world-wide in your genre of interest? He's definitley learned his lesson by now.

So I Suppose when you were 14yrs old you knew every record world-wide in your genre of interest?

When I was 14 I was buying Van Halen and Beastie Boys records like I was supposed to!!

eBay didn't exist and you couldn't get me hyped by using 'buzzwords' either!

So I Suppose when you were 14yrs old you knew every record world-wide in your genre of interest?

When I was 14 I was buying Van Halen and Beastie Boys records like I was supposed to!!

HAHAHA!!!!

yeah, the good old days - like, if yer friend recommended something and it was wack you could just like beat him up or something.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    it's just some christians strumming kum-bai-yah & warbling offkey.

have you ever tripped to kumb-bai-yah?

yeah dude, part of "acid folk" should involve the taking of acid.

• So I Suppose when you were 14yrs old you knew every record world-wide in your genre of interest?

So what is this kid "supposed" to be buying? Look I didn't start this post to get into a pissing contest.This kid has a genuine interest in "cosmic" music.He's not part of a "scene",he's not trying to be hip.He's a shy loner who loves drums and cosmic records.he's just looking for good music.He got into this shit when he found a Fever Tree record in his Dad's collection,and it snowballed from there.He's not part of the "hey Justin have you ever heard of Kraftwerk or Gary Numan" crowd.

My whole point of this post was to see other examples of overhyped terds.I thought it would have been funny and interesting.I'm fully aware that in the end we are all responsible for our own purchases.

Don't worry next time I see him I'll remind him that he's "supposed" to be listening to Green Day and Eminem.

And,no I'm not mad doggie.I just haven't had any coffee yet and yes this is a silly post.Sorry.It's all good.

My whole point of this post was to see other examples of overhyped terds.I thought it would have been funny and interesting.I'm fully aware that in the end we are all responsible for our own purchases.

A few years ago during the peak of 'breakz mania' clueless old heads were listing Readers Digest boxed sets and Percy Faith records as BREAKS/FUNK/SAMPLES/LATIN HEAT etc

I doubt they got away with much even then, but dudes still occasionally get one over by listing an auction as 'secret squirrell'

Tell the kid to post here. Sounds like a cool tyke.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

pedophile

pedophile

haha!

really though, we need a new little brother here. has fallen off as of late.

• My whole point of this post was to see other examples of overhyped terds.I thought it would have been funny and interesting.I'm fully aware that in the end we are all responsible for our own purchases.

A few years ago during the peak of 'breakz mania' clueless old heads were listing Readers Digest boxed sets and Percy Faith records as BREAKS/FUNK/SAMPLES/LATIN HEAT etc

I doubt they got away with much even then, but dudes still occasionally get one over by listing an auction as 'secret squirrell'

That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about.

Or like when and aussie dealer described the Captain Matchbox-Smoke Dreams record as progressive rock.

'PSYCH' 'NORTHERN' and 'FUNK' are gonna keep getting abused as descriptors until they stop selling records, unfortunately

'MOD' was up there briefly but that was a fast fad

Oh the big new one is definitely 'PRIVATE'... any record on a label smaller than Atlantic will be listed as 'PRIVATE' now

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    little dudes shouldn't try to go for the super rares until they have all their ELP and Stevie Wonder records bought, listened to and sold. they'll deservedly get burned.

hence, littleness

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    any record on a label smaller than Atlantic will be listed as 'PRIVATE' now