Joanna Newsome

dayday 9,612 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
I guess I'm feeling emo this morning, cause I'm really feeling this. http://www.myspace.com/joannanewsom I remember seeing her pop up here but I didn't know who she was (disconnected from the moder harpist streets). Anybody know what's up with her or anything I should check for?

Comments

• i have a rough time with her vocals sometimes, but yeah she is

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Pretty sure she's only got one album so I guess you should check for that

Her voice makes me want to vomit

May be even worse than Davendra

But remember I don't like Cat Power either

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Yeah, her vocals can be a bit grating, but overall i'm still

And somewhere, S***n is gagging in NYC.

• I like the album. I saw here live where I remember after a couple songs her asking if she could re-tune her harp which took over an hour. After which she jumped right back into the songs. It was a very understanding audience. A good show too.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    she was awesome in that movie.

• absolutely the most unlistenable voice i've ever heard. i couldn't even make it all the way through the LP, I think I sold it the next day. crap.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I downloaded some MP3 of hers and straight . That voice!
    Then I went to Roskilde and saw her on the sunday morning. And it was awesome. That voice is weird, yes, but take it for what it is. And her harp skills are straight !

• her voice reminds me of a baby talking edie brickell.

i like the instrumentation, i just can't hang with the baby voice most of the time

i dunno, maybe you would also like josephine foster, day

"hazel eyes, i will lead you" mp3

her voice is kinda hard too, but in a more spooky log cabin way.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    When you actually SEE the harp playing, it just so dope. I still haven't bought an album of hers, but go see her live if you have the chance. The only wack part was when she brought out Devandra and some hippies to sing about peace.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Yeah I like Josephine Foster better. And Georgia Kelly for that matter. Have you heard Linda Perhacs, Day?

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    I known naaaaaaaaaan about any of this stuff.
    Someone sent me a song by her and the musicianship and emotion in it won me over. Sometimes I find shitty voices endearing, but I can see how hers could get on your nerves. I don't mind it personally.
    I'll definitley check these other folks out, too. Keep em coming. I'm letting my inner woman roar this morning.

• Someone sent me a song by her and the musicianship and emotion in it won me over. Sometimes I find shitty voices endearing, but I can see how hers could get on your nerves.

seriously man, you gotta check out the j. foster track i YSI'd

• dayday 9,612 Posts

Someone sent me a song by her and the musicianship and emotion in it won me over. Sometimes I find shitty voices endearing, but I can see how hers could get on your nerves.

seriously man, you gotta check out the j. foster track i YSI'd

WHOA

That's definitley

I'm missing out on all kinds of stuff. Keep em coming por favor

*this is really dope, thanks A****y

I might have to sample my first MP3

• i like harp

• buy it

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Sorry, can't get with J. Newsom. My neighbor is an emo indie fan and he plays her a lot - LOUD. Because the walls in our building are really thin, I have involuntarily gotten to know her music quite well. Her pixie-voice just doesn't resonate with me. A live experience with harp action could change my mind, but right now she's definetely on my list.

• Fuck this neo-hippy bullshit. I love Tyrannosaurus Rex, fuck Devandra. All those new fuckers will be clotting starbucks counters, if they're lucky, but they won't really last that long. Joanna's voice is super irritating, and so is this 2-minutes-to-go genre. Thanks guy from the swans, for signing boring fucking artists and bands that help the transition of becoming your suburban parents more righteous.

• for signing boring fucking artists and bands that help the transition of becoming your suburban parents more righteous.

AWESOME!

• different, but i would not label this as being "emo," especially b/c of its folk connotations. to me, her vocals kinda sound like one of the girls in cocorosie, another band that tends to polarize listeners. http://www.myspace.com/cocorosie

my new favorite female singer/songwriter in this indie vain is (leslie) feist. http://profile.myspace.com/feist
    saw her live a few weeks ago, very charming, engaging, and attractive.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    she didn't used to talk in a fake british accent.

• big co-sign on feist. i actually wasn't blown away by her studio album, and then i heard a live set (black session #206) and have been a fan since. Girl Called Eddy is good too, in a modern day Karen Carpenter way. I'm sure aser has put you up on those though?

different, but i would not label this as being "emo," especially b/c of its folk connotations. to me, her vocals kinda sound like one of the girls in cocorosie, another band that tends to polarize listeners. http://www.myspace.com/cocorosie

my new favorite female singer/songwriter in this indie vain is (leslie) feist. http://profile.myspace.com/feist
    saw her live a few weeks ago, very charming, engaging, and attractive.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

this is fucking awesome!!!

oh and cosign on the CD RD posted. you calm loving folks need this in your life. proably destined to be an under the radar small release that will be loved by (non-hipster) people 25 years from now.

Nick Drake with ovaries.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Fuck this neo-hippy bullshit. I love Tyrannosaurus Rex, fuck Devandra. All those new fuckers will be clotting starbucks counters, if they're lucky, but they won't really last that long. Joanna's voice is super irritating, and so is this 2-minutes-to-go genre. Thanks guy from the swans, for signing boring fucking artists and bands that help the transition of becoming your suburban parents more righteous.

It's just a fucking chick with a harp.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Sorry, can't get with J. Newsom. My neighbor is an emo indie fan and he plays her a lot - LOUD. Because the walls in our building are really thin, I have involuntarily gotten to know her music quite well. Her pixie-voice just doesn't resonate with me. A live experience with harp action could change my mind, but right now she's definetely on my list.

she was great live. i bought her LP at the show. i never listen to it.

go see her if you get the chance?

• if bay heads are interested, josephine foster is playing at the hemlock tonite with plastic crimewave

• awallawall 673 Posts
    if bay heads are interested, josephine foster is playing at the hemlock tonite with plastic crimewave
    josephine is quite good live...i played a show with her about a year ago in my friend's living room and it was one of the most intimate live music experiences i'd had in a while, a whole packed house of people fell dead slient when she started playing. she kinda looks like a librarian.

• She's hot in that Lord Of The Rings kind of way.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

- spidey

• if bay heads are interested, josephine foster is playing at the hemlock tonite with plastic crimewave

OKAY now i'm not sure that she's playing. My friend told me she was based on info he got from Steve from Plastice Crimewave who is also her boyfriend and playing tonite. But I just saw the Flavorpill listing and her name isn't on there.