Subotnick in San Diego 5/14

DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
Spotted this in the San Diego Union-Tribune today. I won't around but it sounds pretty cool. ELECTRONIC MUSIC: San Diegans will have the rare opportunity to hear electronic music pioneer Morton Subotnick discuss his illustrious career when he participates in a live oral history interview May 14 at the Museum of Making Music in Carlsbad. Now 71, Subotnick rose to prominence with his groundbreaking 1967 album "Silver Apples of the Moon." The arsenal of drones, bleeps and otherworldly pulses and tonal clusters he created have since influenced several generations of electronic musicians, as well as such techno and hip-hop mavericks as Autechre and J-Kwon. Still active as a teacher each fall at the California Institute of the Arts in Los Angeles, Subotnick is hard at work using laptops and the Internet to achieve his long-held goal of flawlessly playing music on a variety of instruments by remote control. He also is the founder of a class for Pasadena grade school students called Making Music Through Technology, for which he created special software to help children develop skills as composers and listeners. The interview with Subotnick will be at 7 p.m. at the Museum of Making Music, 5790 Armada Drive, Carlsbad. Admission is free, although the museum is suggesting a donation of $5 at the door. For more information, call (760) 438-5996. ??? George Varga

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    why were you reading the UT??

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Neville is in S. He was spotted scooping up raers from under my nose this morning.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    you're kidding! dang neville, way to be anti-social!

how was kobeys anyways? i'm bout to head there in a little bit in search of easy...

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    influenced several generations of electronic musicians, as well as such techno and hip-hop mavericks[/b] as Autechre and J-Kwon[/b]. [/i]

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    you're kidding! dang neville, way to be anti-social!

how was kobeys anyways? i'm bout to head there in a little bit in search of easy...

Sorry man. Doing family stuff and sneakin in digs here and there. Nice city you got here.