NYC thrift store finds (RR)

spivyspivy 866 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
i would have tacked this on to the weekday finds but that shit was getting a little too long so i started a new thread! here we go:the gal costa is nice and breezy. the leon dimanche looks amazing but is only good...nice open drums though. the dionne warwick is something that everyone should know...because its dope. high fashion is a great modern soul record.this kano 12" is sick!!! this shit sounds like the group change.and finally...i can't believe i found this in NYC! i got this record at my spot. i found it under a pile of decent early 80's disco records buried in a pile of clothes...i still can't believe it! ORIGINAL vg++75 cents...

Comments

• I recently scooped up that Gal Costa. I like "Que E Baiana",
    its the only album I've got from her. I know she has got to
    have some other good stuff.

• i saw that gal costa along with a bunch of other brazillian records from the same era at the salvation army in park slope.

is that chocolate star an original? so many of those boots floating around nyc...but then i've been finding a good amount of sealed og disco too. if that's og...obviously that's quite a find!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I want that Chocolate Star. That's an old school Philly classic.

Shit, I'll take an MP3. Hollur.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    went to TSL today and looked at the re-ish...mine is original. it was with about 50 early 80's 12" and it was crammed in a cardboard sleeve with Kano-I'm ready. luckily it was nice and clean! it also was in an aged paper sleeve and has the look and smell of a long life. The gal costa is from the flatbush ave salvation...was there any other brazillian stuff?

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    the bootleg re-ish sounds and looks crappy...the label also looks different.

• RezRez 164 Posts
    i would have tacked this on to the weekday finds but that shit was getting a little too long so i started a new thread! here we go:

the gal costa is nice and breezy. the leon dimanche looks amazing but is only good...nice open drums though. the dionne warwick is something that everyone should know...because its dope. high fashion is a great modern soul record.

this kano 12" is sick!!! this shit sounds like the group change.

and finally...i can't believe i found this in NYC! i got this record at my spot. i found it under a pile of
    decent early 80's disco records buried in a pile of clothes...i still can't believe it! ORIGINAL vg++

75 cents...

...looks a little from my puter stool...those pesky boots certainly look right - please to type matrixes and feel for label/deadwax meeting point - raised or flat?

Deep groove label press looks in good order tho...

Lez

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    who's got the info on this? my run out tag says cs 1554 a for the run out tag on the a side and cs 1554b for the b side. i feel like the run out groove info isn't a science on this one. i found this in the cut away from the hipster/downtown world...and not in bk. it was with no other reissues and alot of disco 12". the spot i found it at doesn't carry reissues because i've never seen any there. like i said...it was stuffed with a bunch of non reissue stuff like the high fashion lp and the kano 12". they were all in the same condition and hidden under a pile of shit. what are the differences between the reissue and an og? 411 please!

• spivyspivy 866 Posts

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    went to TSL today and looked at the re-ish...mine is original. it was with about 50 early 80's 12" and it was crammed in a cardboard sleeve with Kano-I'm ready. luckily it was nice and clean! it also was in an aged paper sleeve and has the look and smell of a long life. The gal costa is from the flatbush ave salvation...was there any other brazillian stuff?

Bastard!

I have some NYC thrift scores from today... went looking for some particulars (Baretta and Mongo from Acad $5 ea.) and then hit the thrifts and ended up with something totaly different.

plus a 45 pic sleeve of Roxanne Shante - Go On Girl, but you know what that looks like.

• for some reason a lot of sealed disco records are turning up at sal's these past couple weeks.

if there were a bunch more earlly-80s 12"s...please tell me where this is!

yes, you didn't see all the other brazillian records at the flatbush sal's? there were 30 or so. i only bought one but it's a doozy...pepite or something like that...brazillian percussion raers.

• i saw that gal costa along with a bunch of other brazillian records from the same era at the salvation army in park slope.

which one? The one on 5th Ave closed down a while ago...

I'm assuming he means the one on Flatbush around the corner from Bergen Bagels?

i saw that gal costa along with a bunch of other brazillian records from the same era at the salvation army in park slope.

Jesus H Christ! What happened to talking in c*de?

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

75 cents...

...looks a little from my puter stool...those pesky boots certainly look right - please to type matrixes and feel for label/deadwax meeting point - raised or flat?

Deep groove label press looks in good order tho...

Lez

The label on my re-boot looks exactly like that. Don't have my camera with me now, unfortunately. Label/deadwax meeting point is raised. Matrix # SH-002 A/SH-002 B.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    went to TSL today and looked at the re-ish...mine is original.

dude, if that's the real deal, that's a killer score.
    speaking of Change

just received this

great tune, I was considering selling it, but I think it's a keeper

Jesus H Christ! What happened to talking in c*de?

B*g *ff y** bl**dy s*d!!! D*n't *s* th* l*rd's n*m* *n v**n!!

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    Paging Breakself...

I picked up A**** from the train station when he got back from NYC. All he had was one back-pack and a trash bag full of some dope records he said he found in thrift stores around town. Man straight looked like a hobo with full scruby beard and a glaze over his eyes from looking at too many records as well as a 14(?) hour train ride.

Back to it.

Looks like we have another Shaft cover - or Shaft Etc as it's called on here. Nice pins on the ladies. Bon Bon Vie is in my wedding set. Is that wrong? The Messengers is some heavy acid klezmer recorded live in Corona Park. I shit you not. They shout out Borough Pres Marty Markovitz and it says that the audience was so hyped that they played their best set evar.

Of course this is the shittiest condition 12 I take home.

Sealed and highly suspect looking but prolly later press.

As just featured in my mp3 mix. Whadda koinkydoink sp?