8 year old charged in shooting of a girl

roistoroisto 879 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
Maryland boy, 8, charged in shooting of girl, 7WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Maryland prosecutors have filed charges against an 8-year-old boy who shot and wounded a 7-year-old girl after threatening to rob her at a suburban day-care center, The Washington Post said on Wednesday.The boy's father, "a felon with a lengthy record," was arrested and charged with leaving a firearm within reach of an unsupervised minor and other offenses after the Tuesday shooting, the Post said.The third-grader had sneaked his father's .38-caliber revolver into the facility in his backpack on Tuesday, the paper said, quoting law-enforcement officials. He had been suspended in the past for bringing a weapon to school.Police had initially said the boy accidentally shot the girl, a second-grade student, as a group of six children were attending a before-school program at the For Kids We Care day-care center in Germantown, Maryland, a Washington suburb.But the Post said, "The sources said the boy threatened to rob the girl and then fired the gun once, striking her in the upper right arm."The girl was reported in stable condition in a Washington hospital on Tuesday night, the paper said.The boy "was charged as a juvenile with numerous counts that police declined to outline," it said. He was placed in the custody of the Maryland Department of Juvenile Services.

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    The story I read last night, or maybe it was the TV news since this is local news here in the DC/MD area, was that they needed to charge the boy so they could actually get him the required assistance from the county or state programs. This was before the account that he had actually threatened the girl came to light however. If it is true, I do think they need to get this kid in the system as a red flag, and some juvenille charges are the way to do it. As someone mentioned yesterday (the only thing I think I have ever agreed with out of this person's keyboard) "actions have consequences".

His Pops is in deep shit regardless. What a jackass. It's just a sad story that gets more and more pathetic. Good news is the girls injuries were not life-threatening. Small consolation.

• CaMKIIaCaMKIIa 269 Posts
    what the hell was he trying to rob her for?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

I was kinda wondering the same thing.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

every news station in these parts have shown countless segments on North Face jackets and Ipods being high theft items in the DC area. Possibly it was one of the two?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

every news station in these parts have shown countless segments on North Face jackets and Ipods being high theft items in the DC area. Possibly it was one of the two?

Them being 7 and 8 years old or so, is it possible he was "robbing" her without really being concerned if she had anything he actually wanted or anything period? I mean kids do say the darndest things. He had the gun, and I think even 8 year olds know that's what some people do when they have guns, ergo, he did what you do when you have a gun. I wouldn't read too much into it, but I have been wrong before.

• pretty weird to think they may have to set up metal detectors to get into elementary schools now

welcome to dick cheney's america...

• CaMKIIaCaMKIIa 269 Posts

welcome to dick cheney's america...

...where the second amendment guarantees our kids' right to have guns!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Last week some kids at the high school my girl works at were playing cards

Some dude got upset about the game and threatened to go get something from his car to take care of things

School officials searched his vehicle and found a loaded pistol as well as a couple knives