So I broke my ankle in math class (SIR)

canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
Let me start this off by saying that this is my second math injury[/b]. The first happened about 3-4 years ago when I was working for a math professor testing some new integration techniques. After doing a back-breaking proof for over 2 weeks straight, I got up and collapsed. Fucked up my back from all the penciling and had to walk with a cane for 3 weeks. So today, I'm in class and I'm getting hyped 'cause this girl was asking me to borrow some comics, asking me what I'm listening too, etc. During the convo I casually toss my Nutri Grain??? wrapper into the garbage. Being the uber mathlete I am, I naturally miss. Now, between me and the wrapper was a row of tables about 1.5' wide and 4' high. I think, "Why don't I just hop over this shit, I can do it".I landed on the flat side of my ankle, rolled it, and subsequently broke it[/b].So I yell "fuck, ow!" and the girl is asking me "why'd you do that?" When I try to explain "I just thought I could do it" she responds with:"You're so interesting![/b]"I don't give a fuck if I'm interesting, I'm in pain batch! At this point, I didn't think I had harmed the ankle that bad so I just sat in class. At the end I say to the girls "yo, man, I think I really hurt this" and they thought I was joking so they just peaced. I hobbled to my next class, which was across the campus. By the end of that class I tried to get up and leave and I couldn't move. Phoned my friend who came and gripped me in a wheelchair. The doctor said it's either broken or sprained very badly, I haven't heard back from the X-Rays.Now I'm at home on friday with a broken ankle and I'm bored as fuck.I got a nice setup beside the couch though. I think that's the best usage of the portable outside of digging.Plaese to tell me your "stupid injury" stories. I gots no hubris, dawg.Clown away.

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Here's some stupid injury related stories from my friend:

Bike related

I got a stupid injury story for you:
    I was riding urban assult with this guy on campus, riding down a double flight of stairs at the physical activities building. It was fun, but I wanted to get a little air off the second set of stairs. So I gradually increased the speed with which I went down the first set. I increased it too much, unfortunately, and completely cleared the second flight of stairs, which must have been 6-8 feet off the ground. I landed with my front-wheel first and the bike just crumpled. I hit my ass on the ground so fucking hard it ripped my pants apart and my underwear. It also tore my partially-properly-attached kneepads off and ground a big fuckin' hole in my knee-flesh. The bike was fine, and I slowly biked back to my dorm room with blood on my leg and ass, and my butt hanging out of torn up jeans. It took over a month for my knee to heal, and it still has an enormous scar that feels kinda funny when I poke it.

High-Voltage Related

I got a high-voltage stupidity story for you:
    I was playing around with some capacitors in my dorm room. I had a 20,000 volt transformer hooked up to a VARIAC to limit the output voltage. I thought I'd hook it up to a big HV capacitor to see if I could turn it into DC. I made a little spark-gap to see if it was working, and I expected it to take a few seconds to charge, and then make a nice big pop. So I slowly cranked the VARIAC up, but wasn't seeing anything. So I turned it off, discharged the cap, and moved the gap a little closer together. After doing this a few times with nothing happening, I unconsciously started moving my face closer and closer to the gap, to see if I could hear any incipient breakdown. Dude, when it finally broke down, it was ____SO FUCKING LOUD___ and sounded like a thousand people slamming rulers onto desks all at once, continuously. I screamed something like, "fucking jesus christ", and flew back from the setup. I was so frightened and ran into the hallway and yelled to everyone who certainly heard the calamity that I was allright and not dead.

I did my masters with that guy and he was crazy. He was all about computing transformations on a rubix cube and trying to find out the maximum number of moves certain combinations would take. He was a crazy fucking genius.

He would memorize moves so that it took him 1 minute to

---->

• Wow, sorry to hear that. I broke mine in 3 places a few months ago and had all kinds of metal put in. Shit hurts, mayne!!!

Have fun with the pain pills but don't get carried away.

Shit hurts, mayne!!!

Sayin!

I broke mine in 3 places a few months ago and had all kinds of metal put in.

Damn, how did you manage that? I hope that whatever steal they put in you [saigon]was as real as you[/saigon].

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

read seven soldiers

• Options
    So today, I'm in class and I'm getting hyped 'cause this girl was asking me to borrow some comics, asking me what I'm listening too, etc. During the convo I casually toss my Nutri Grain??? wrapper into the garbage. Being the uber mathlete I am, I naturally miss. Now, between me and the wrapper was a row of tables about 1.5' wide and 4' high. I think, "Why don't I just hop over this shit, I can do it".

I landed on the flat side of my ankle, rolled it, and subsequently broke it.

So I yell "fuck, ow!" and the girl is asking me "why'd you do that?" When I try to explain "I just thought I could do it" she responds with:

"You're so interesting!"

You gonna tap that at least?

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    is that a barcelona (knock off) chair I spy in ze corner.

is that a barcelona (knock off) chair I spy in ze corner.
    Yeah, my roommate/landlord got some dollars after getting his face mashed in a car accident (not enough to buy a real barcelona though, but enough to decorate this place decently). He was kind enough to let me live in his huge condo for VERY cheap.

Sween: Believe that. I might even pull some pity moves. The problem is there are three girls in that class who are about it. I love being grown and sexy and back in undergrad

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    I'm finishing my math degree in May and I hope I don't have any math related injuries. I do feel the sudden feeling that my brain is going to explode every once and a while.

Get well soon!

I don't have any math related injuries.
    GETDEDICATED

You think grad schools wanna take some fany record nerd who's afraid of math injuries?!?#!@

PS - Good luck

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    [email]a@ron[/email], you hairy... like an ape, mang!

hope you get better... i barfed in my sleep on thursday, woke up with a rotten beard.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    I don't give a fuck if I'm interesting, I'm in pain batch!

---------------------

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    hope you got some hydrocone dude

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts

"You're so interesting![/b]"

This made me laugh out loud. How random!

• canonical,

that entire story made me CRACK T_F_UPP
    and yes, the "you're so interesting" quote is pretty unbeatable.
    When i saw the pix, and the neil gaiman, i just about lost it.

anyway, i don't have any major injury stories worth telling, but earlier this week my pc laptop fell on the top of my bare foot (the corner of it BOOM) which meant no break practice, limping around everywhere loose shoe style, and basically i couldn't drive the first day because now i have a stick shift and pushing in that clutch hurt like a mofo.

last year i put a q-tip in my ear and nothing came out, just an empty stick. i freaked out, went to work all day and told everyone i couldn't hear because my ear was full of cotton, and finally left to go to the emergency room. i went to highland hospital which is this horrible, dingy, gross hospital in oakland and spent the ENTIRE NIGHT going from one room to the next in hopes to get closer to a doc. finally, i got one and he took one look in my ear and said there WAS NOTHING IN THERE. i could tell he was trying his best not to just laugh in my face and i had to turn around....

and leave....

GHOST Q-TIP???????????

anyway, going back to your injury...i never knew math could be so dangerous.

• also...arrowroot?????

WHAT ARE YAH? A BABY??

• So today, I'm in class and I'm getting hyped 'cause this girl was asking me to borrow some comics, asking me what I'm listening too, etc. During the convo I casually toss my Nutri Grain??? wrapper into the garbage. Being the uber mathlete I am, I naturally miss. Now, between me and the wrapper was a row of tables about 1.5' wide and 4' high. I think, "Why don't I just hop over this shit, I can do it".

I landed on the flat side of my ankle, rolled it, and subsequently broke it.

So I yell "fuck, ow!" and the girl is asking me "why'd you do that?" When I try to explain "I just thought I could do it" she responds with:

"You're so interesting!"

You gonna tap that at least?

seriously.

and tjats too bad, rest-up and take it easy, seriously

and see me that "me and the biz" 12''-seriously.

• Damn, how did you manage that? I hope that whatever steal they put in you [saigon]was as real as you[/saigon].

Riding the stunt wood in the pool.

last year i put a q-tip in my ear and nothing came out, just an empty stick. i freaked out, went to work all day and told everyone i couldn't hear because my ear was full of cotton, and finally left to go to the emergency room. i went to highland hospital which is this horrible, dingy, gross hospital in oakland and spent the ENTIRE NIGHT going from one room to the next in hopes to get closer to a doc. finally, i got one and he took one look in my ear and said there WAS NOTHING IN THERE. i could tell he was trying his best not to just laugh in my face and i had to turn around....
    Haha, that's the shit right there. When you started the story all I thought was

Oakland + plugged ear == No WOOOOOOOOOO WOOOOOO == good

I ran out of food today. Did you know you can order pizza online? Word!

• HamHam 872 Posts
    when i was like 13 i was doing dreads with a crochet hook on my friends hair, and i accidentaly stuck it in my finger..couldnt get it out so i finally had to go to the emergency room cause this was like 2 am, and i had to sit there while everyone almost couldnt keep from laughing cause i had a crochet hook in my finger.
    when i finally left this one guy was like "take it easy while crocheting!"