anyone live in montreal/toronto/detroit

GREASYGREASY 3 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
I'm going on a two week road trip in feb and I need tips on where to hang out, where to eat and where to go diggin'.

Comments

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Unfortunately, no one lives in these cities. Perhaps you didn't notice, but when registering for your username, you accepted terms under which you agree to never live in any of these three cities. Raj had bad experiences in all of them and so now we're not allowed to go there or visit. Toronto is the worst. Anyway, please change your travel plans.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Unfortunately, no one lives in these cities. Perhaps you didn't notice, but when registering for your username, you accepted terms under which you agree to never live in any of these three cities. Raj had bad experiences in all of them and so now we're not allowed to go there or visit. Toronto is the worst. Anyway, please change your travel plans.

Oi! Dun slag my town. You know 1/3 of the board is from here...

Signed,

DOR
    The Screwface Capital

Myself included...

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    We have the best record stores here in Toronto.

J in Toronto

Myself included...

O'RLY?

Here I thought you were from Montreal all this time...

I moved to Montreal from Toronto. From Montreal I moved to Fredericton, which is really the only place to visit in Canada.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    Yeah, avoid Detroit at all costs, especially during the week of the Super Bowl. There will be no records, no celebrities and no imported whores.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    For the record
    montreal > toronto

I rep MTL to the fullest and am always down to help out wandering travellers
    Febuary may not be the best time to come to our fait city but asi son las cosas
    Hit me up on the PM

• sconesscones 434 Posts

J in Toronto

I liked toronto record stores, i only buy hiphop but that cosmos store down on queen i think had loads of stuff from every genre, quite $$ i rememeber though??

For the record
    montreal > toronto

Hit me up on the PM

Lawd.. Dun start...

*IMO* Montreal has gone downhill... It ain't like it once was.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    For the record
    montreal > toronto

Hit me up on the PM

Lawd.. Dun start...

For records you may be right

For the vibes I still like it

As far as the T dot/mtl rivalry I guess both stem from people not knowing the true essence of the city as the insiders.

It's just I was walking on Younge and after a few overbloated DKNY type stores and crappy restaurants the street turned residential

I'm sure its all good I'll have to revisit though

MTL is still the shit however and the music scene has stepped its game up

For the record
    montreal > toronto

Hit me up on the PM

Lawd.. Dun start...

For records you may be right

For the vibes I still like it

As far as the T dot/mtl rivalry I guess both stem from people not knowing the true essence of the city as the insiders.

It's just I was walking on Younge and after a few overbloated DKNY type stores and crappy restaurants the street turned residential

I'm sure its all good I'll have to revisit though

MTL is still the shit however and the music scene has stepped its game up

Yonge St. does not represent what the city is about tho. It only represents what the city wants tourist to think it's about (Think parts of St. Catherine's)

Hey, I really liked Montreal back in the 90's. And to be truthful, I've only been out there 4-5 times in the past 5 years. I use to do crazy business there and was almost talked into opening a shop in Montreal a few times. But in my last 5 visits, I just got the feeling that Montreal was headed downhill. Tho I still enjoy staying in old Montreal when there.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Toronto is amazing - especially if you have Miss B & Kev as your tour guides. Honestly, Montreal is cool, but it doesn't compare to Toronto. I mean, you guys have like 3 chinatowns. We've got a chinablock. We're small in comparison & live music might be cool but clubs are largely shitty, unless you're like those dudes in the Hotti thread. I can't front. It's too bad we've fallen off, but we're still cool. Its not like there's nowhere to eat, drink, shop in Montreal, but Toronto has many more choices.

peace

h

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

J in Toronto

Ahem, we have the best record stores here in Buenos Aires.

PEK in Buenos Aires

Toronto is amazing - especially if you have Miss B & Kev as your tour guides. Honestly, Montreal is cool, but it doesn't compare to Toronto. I mean, you guys have like 3 chinatowns. We've got a chinablock. We're small in comparison & live music might be cool but clubs are largely shitty, unless you're like those dudes in the Hotti thread. I can't front. It's too bad we've fallen off, but we're still cool. Its not like there's nowhere to eat, drink, shop in Montreal, but Toronto has many more choices.

peace

h

Agreed.

J in Toronto

PEK in Buenos Aires

I'm hoping to be back in BA next December. You're going to take me to all of those stores.

Heyyyyyyyyyy HAZ,

Next time ur out this way, we should make sure to get MissB to be a tour guide and she can treat us for lunch & dinners!!! Just dun tell her Kev and I will be there tho... She might not buy.. HA...

J in Toronto

PEK in Buenos Aires

Dun get me started with you sir...

When we hitting up some spots? Food is on me...

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

I'm hoping to be back in BA next December. You're going to take me to all of those stores.

No records in Buenos Aires. Montevideo is where it's at. I just came back. Toronto-Montevideo was quite a flight.

Romeo Gavioli y su Orquesta Tipica "Candombe"

• Yeah, avoid Detroit at all costs, especially during the week of the Super Bowl. There will be no records, no celebrities and no imported whores.

although i would agree to avoid detroit during super bowl weekend, if you'll be around besides that, i'd say to definitely come dig through the following places in and around the city: the record graveyard in hamtramck; street corner music in southfield; people's records in detroit. they can all be found on mapquest, though google maps is best. true dat! DOUBLE TRUE!!!

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

Dun get me started with you sir...

When we hitting up some spots? Food is on me...

Soon enough B - I have someone heading up north of the city to retrieve the Rumble & Strong cassette in question sometime this week...

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    Yeah, avoid Detroit at all costs, especially during the week of the Super Bowl. There will be no records, no celebrities and no imported whores.

although i would agree to avoid detroit during super bowl weekend, if you'll be around besides that, i'd say to definitely come dig through the following places in and around the city: the record graveyard in hamtramck; street corner music in southfield; people's records in detroit. they can all be found on mapquest, though google maps is best. true dat! DOUBLE TRUE!!!
    Dude... the city is going to be nuts.

I plan to get my lawn chair and electric blankets. I am going to post up on different spots on Woodward and just people watch. This shit's gonna be insanity.

Again, there are no records in the city of Detroit. We make some mean catsup out here though!

• Yeah, avoid Detroit at all costs, especially during the week of the Super Bowl. There will be no records, no celebrities and no imported whores.

whooooooa whooa! slow down nelly!!!! youre violating youre violating! you dont know what this beatdigging thing is a lla bout!!!!

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Tokyo got the best record stores greasy. Go to Tokyo instead of Detroit and Canada. Also better food.

Tokyo got the best record stores greasy. Go to Tokyo instead of Detroit and Canada. Also better food.

Dude... U dun got to go all the way to Japan... Just check out my boy Aki at Cosmos 4 rekords! It's almost like being in a great Japanese rackord store...

And as far as food goes.. If I ever goto Japan and ur there. You bettah take me to these wicked spots!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    what foods do you like to eat?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

MORE PLEASE

I had some great flying cat ones.. But have since went missing.

Here's a couple of old ones!

And I can't leave out Phill's eye of the tiger one!

Hey, wait a second.. Stop trying to get me off the topic! Tdot RoCks!!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

peace

h

Agreed.

I would tend to disagree with certain things. Clubs are a piece of shit but the lounges and bars (jell-o, blizzart, salla rossa, divan orange, cafe daomey) are amazing and thriving.

I just wanna throw in the mix that speaking french and partaking in Quebec culture also opens doors to some of the wonders of the city.

Montreal is smaller (cozy style) than t.o no doubt both are good imo

Any strutter making his way here never hesitate to hit me up glad to be a guide

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Also

what's the deal with toronto bar closing time.

here its 3AM

I heard 1AM for toronto?