"Ten times far better than James Brown!

Firebird75Firebird75 35 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
You heard it. Straight from THE authority on what's hot.My man and I check out this ancient record store/exchange, with stuff in there since the 70's. An overly talkative Armenian guy owns the shop. I pick up a book, it'd usually cost $3 or so elsewhere: here, its $18. I fish through some records - wow, $155, $228, for unknown shit; Kinetic complains about the unrealistic prices, and the man indignantly responds: "This record worth LOTS! That price (ie, inflated) I put 20 years ago so now is probably worth more, maybe $50 more"I find some books I've been needing: the original price (for sale when it was new) was $12.95. He's put $26 on it 2ndhand. Inside the cover is a list of why this book is such a bargain:265 pagesplus 8 blank pages at backplus 6 extra pages at frontplus inside back and front cover=279 pagesWow, real value!I find a large mint copy of the Bhagavad Gita and ask the price just for a laugh. "I mark this $18 10 years ago, so now is worth maybe $28". Great sales tactic.Walking out while crossing this shop off my list, I find the best thing this shop has to offer. I find the signs this guy's put up, and realise how some correspond to the photos of Cosima (Australian Idol runner-up) plastered all over the front window. These are verbatim:"Cosima, the great diva the magnificent & brilliant & no other. WAKE UP AUSTRALIA! Don't be like snob generation LEGEND HAS BORN""Cosima, the female James Brown even ten times far better than James Brown. She is head rank of leading diva. One of the best smash hit of the century instant classic Cosima the great diva of the century messiah of all divas.""At the 3rd time you visit here you have to get something to buy not to spend time just for looking looking is for the new visitors"His BO made everything worse, but it was a great laugh!best smash hit of the century instant classic WAKE UP AUSTRALIA! Don't be like snob generation Cosima, the female James Brown even ten times far better than James Brown

Comments

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    At the 3rd time you visit here you have to get something to buy not to spend time just for looking looking is for the new visitors

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

I always wonder how stores like this make any money...

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

I always wonder how stores like this make any money...

They dont. They only stay around because the business usually owns the building. If rent was an issue, these places wouldnt really be there.

• mallardmallard 452 Posts
    i checked out some new shops yesterday. this one had some dope old casio's (the white ones) in the window. i walk in and ask dude (broken english) how much for the both of em, and the dialogue went as follows :

dude: "$70!!! 2 keyboards!!! $70!!! You, you take 6...maybe 7 batteries put them in the keyboards - THATS $10 JUST BATTERIES!!!"

me: "so they come with batteries??"

dude: "no"

....long awkward silence....

me: "well, do you have any records?"

dude: "oh...records...oh no....only one....only one record...records, they go fast...the people come in, THEY BUY ALL MY RECORDS!!...here, come, ill show you one record"

he takes me over to the corner of the store and lo and behold there's a minty copy of john denver and the muppets propped against his wall.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    That's awesome.

Was the record also $70?