HOUSTON FOR DUMMIES - DJ AYRES JD

ayresayres 1,452 Posts
edited December 2005 in Announcements
Here it is, 80 minutes of Houston (and Port Arthur) rap joints from 1988 - 2005 mixed by your boys Urrrs and JDeez with a bonus CD of new Houston joints mixed by DJ Eleven. http://www.djayres.com/mixtapes/store.htm#h4d Houston for DummiesSnippet MP3: http://djayres.com/MP3/houstonfordummiessnippets.mp301 Geto Boys ??? Balls And My Word (1988)02 Scarface & Devin the Dude ??? Southside: Houston, Texas (1998)03 UGK ??? Front, Back and Side to Side (1995)04 Big Mike - Playa Playa (1994)05 Scarface ??? Money and the Power (1991)06 Slim Thug & Chamillionaire - Still Tippin (2003)07 Z-Ro, Paul Wall & Lil Flip - From the South (2005)08 Lil Keke - Southside (1998)09 DJ DMD & Fat Pat ??? 25 Lighters (1998)10 Paul Wall & Chamillionaire ??? The Other Day (2002)11 Wreckshop Family ??? Power Up (2001)12 UGK ??? Murder (1996)13 Fat Pat - Tops Drop (1998)14 E.S.G. & Slim Thug - Getchya Hands Up (2001)15 Lil O ??? Back Back (2000)16 Tela & Devin the Dude - Drugs (2000)17 Raheem - 5th Ward (1992)18 Odd Squad ??? Fa Sho (1994)19 Scarface, Too Short & Devin the Dude - Fuck Faces (1998)20 Hawk (Screwed Up Click) ??? U Already Know (2003)21 Z-Ro, Juvenile & Devin The Dude ??? The Mule (2005)22 Slim Thug & Young Jeezy ??? Diamonds (Mannie Fresh Remix) (2005)23 UGK - Diamonds and Wood (1996)24 DJ DMD ft Al B & DJ Screw - So Real (1997)25 DJ Screw & Lil Keke - Pimp The Pen (2001)26 Paul Wall & Chamillionaire ??? N Love Wit My Money (2002)27 Bun B & Mddl Fngz - 4 In The Morning (2001) Bonus CD: Houston Rocks ItPaul Wall & Bun B - They Don???t KnowMike Jones - Screw DatLil Flip - Youz A TrickDavid Banner & Lil Flip - Like A PimpChamillionaire & Killer Mike - Southern TakeoverFrayser Boy & Paul Wall - Got Dat DrinkPaul Wall - I Got The Internet Going NutsPaul Wall - Sippin The BarrePaul Wall - Riding DirtyChamillionaire & Devin The Dude - Back Up PlanMike Jones & Bun B - Know What I???m SayingSlim Thug - Live From The LonestarSlim Thug, T.I. & Bun B - 3 KingsWebbie, Bun B & Fat Joe - Give Me ThatBun B, Scarface & Young Jeezy - PushingPaul Wall - Go PeachesPaul Wall & Jay-Z - Sitting SidewayzMike Jones & Jay-Z - Back ThenSlim Thug - Click ClackChamillionaire & Lil Flip - Turn It UpPaul Wall - March N StepThree 6 Mafia & Lil Flip - Riding Spinners Slim Thug - Like A BossKanye West & Paul Wall - Drive SlowE-40 & Lil Flip - Sick Wit The FlipZ-Ro & Scarface - Snitch N----sPaul Wall & Bun B - G CodeSlim Thug - Do It For YouGeto Boys - I TriedMike Jones - Some Shit Goes Down8Ball, MJG & Bun B - The StreetsPaul Wall & Freeway - State To StateBiggie, Slim Thug & T.I.- Breaking Old HabitsSlim Thug & Jay-Z - I Ain???t Heard Of ThatChamillionaire - My DownfallDevin The Dude & Dru Down - Something Like A PimpBeanie Sigel & Bun B - Purple RainBun B & Paul Wall - Drank In Your SystemLil Flip - Game OverSqad Up & Lil Flip - Beatin Up The BlockChamillionaire & Lil Flip - TrueBun B & the H-Town All Stars - Draped Up RemixPimp C, Bun B, Young Jeezy, Jay-Z & Z-Ro - Get ThrowedZ-Ro, Paul Wall & Lil Flip - From The Southhttp://www.djayres.com/mixtapes/store.htm#h4d

Comments

• REAL BIG.

For really real, though. I've had an "advance" copy of this mix for about a month and I've listened to it about 30 times. Just over and over. The selection, the mixing, the drops--oh my god, when's the last time drops were something you could listen to more than once?

They do it real serious on this mix. I can't wait to get my official copy because this shit is banoodles (b-a-n-o-o-d-ulz).

This gets nothing short of a Texas-sized endorsement from a Port Arthur native. That real schitt to ride to, if yadadadiggamajig.

- Hogg

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yup.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    song selection is absolutely pristine. quality.

good job fellas.

12 UGK - Murder (1996)

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    Ayres, ya killin me. I am working on a very similar mix. Seriously, half the track list is the same. Can't wait to hear yours though, your shits always top notch.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    ya killin me.

12 UGK - Murder (1996)

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    17 Raheem - 5th Ward (1992)

I was just listening to this and thinking "if i were a dj i'd want to drop this in houston"

i think i need to cop this.

• i think i need to cop this.

Copping is non-optional.

Copping is mandatory.

"This is Houston for dummies,, Ni**uh. DJ Ayres and JD, what the fuck you know 'bout that?"

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    i will be copping this.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    i will be copping this.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I've had an "advance" copy of this mix for about a month

• I've had an "advance" copy of this mix for about a month

You see, Cashless:

I'm not on that bullshit rare kick like most snobbery DJs are.

I've had an "advance" copy of this mix for about a month

You see, Cashless:

I'm not on that bullshit rare kick like most snobbery DJs are.

I guess... I'm gonna hang out with Planet now.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    love ya, cash.

hope you and your fam had some happy holidays.

I'll get you a copy, as soon as you call me and give me an address.

acting like you don't know me anymore and shit.

love ya, cash.

hope you and your fam had some happy holidays.

I'll get you a copy, as soon as you call me and give me an address.

acting like you don't know me anymore and shit.

all good. I'm doing good. It's so impersonal getting up in here, I'll call you.

Don't worry about sending one. I'm gonna buy it. Gotta support sometime, especially fam.

You better be working on a part II to this.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    You better be working on a part II to this.

you know this. there is so much quality shit that has come out out of the space city that is often overlooked.... we could only put so much on the mix.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    Now available at Turntablelab: http://www.turntablelab.com/index1.html

"Ayres told me he was working on this mix a while back, and it kinda slipped into the back of my mind until a few months later, when Eleven said that he'd just finished up a Houston-themed CD. How could such a thing happen? Was there miscommunication in the Rub camp? No, friends - it was all part of a larger plan, unveiled here for the first time. Headlining the show is Houston For Dummies, a retrospective that spans 15+ years of Houston history, from Geto Boys to UGK, Scarface to Slim Thug. Mixed by Ayres and TX native JD, and hosted by big Bun B himself, it's a top-notch lesson in a regional sound that's only come to the attention of most people in the last few years. It's also a perfect primer for the second CD, tucked away as a 'bonus' in the back of the case. DJ Eleven's Houston Rocks It offers a 40+ track survey of Houston as we know it today - Cham, Paul Wall, Flip, etc. - all masterfully mixed by the big homie. Cop this double-pack, crank the heat in your apartment and think warm thoughts."

http://www.turntablelab.com/index1.html

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    Been listening since it came in the mail last week, and I've just gotta say that the hype is warranted, congrats guys, straight heat.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    Release party in NYC is tonight, and we'll be on the Fader Radio show on Friday from 6-8. (www.eastvillageradio.com) Also check out JD writing about all the records we used here: http://www.thefader.com/blog/articles/2006/01/09/still-mixin

Monday, January 9
    Houson for Dummies CD release party
    DJ Ayres & JD
    Hosted by Roxy
    Sway
    305 Spring St.
    (btwn Greenwich & Hudson)
    10pm-4am
    FREE!

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

yeah man, that write up brought back some memories. For part 2, plaese to include "thug it up", I will kill you if you do not.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    this cd is dope. cop it if you havent.

• congrats y'all.

some prolific DJ batches you all be.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    we are? dude you are killing em out there!

• 18 Odd Squad ??? Fa Sho (1994)
    19 Scarface, Too Short & Devin the Dude - Fuck Faces (1998)

I just want to say that the above blend from tracks 18 to 19 is nothing short of perfect. In an era when many mix CDs sound like they were made with one turntable (if that), this moment alone makes Houston for Dummies stand out in the crowd. Kinda like DJ Eleven.

If you haven't bought this yet, then you're one of those hidin' on the island like LOST motherfuckers.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    thanks hoggy...

i'm a little partial to these particular sections myself:

05 Scarface ??? Money and the Power (1991)
    06 Slim Thug & Chamillionaire - Still Tippin (2003)

10 Paul Wall & Chamillionaire ??? The Other Day (2002)
    11 Wreckshop Family ??? Power Up (2001)

15 Lil O ??? Back Back (2000)
    16 Tela & Devin the Dude - Drugs (2000)
    17 Raheem - 5th Ward (1992)
    18 Odd Squad ??? Fa Sho (1994)

22 Slim Thug & Young Jeezy ??? Diamonds (Mannie Fresh Remix) (2005)
    23 UGK - Diamonds and Wood (1996)
    24 DJ DMD ft Al B & DJ Screw - So Real (1997)

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    18 Odd Squad ??? Fa Sho (1994)
    19 Scarface, Too Short & Devin the Dude - Fuck Faces (1998)

I just want to say that the above blend from tracks 18 to 19 is nothing short of perfect. In an era when many mix CDs sound like they were made with one turntable (if that), this moment alone makes Houston for Dummies stand out in the crowd. Kinda like DJ Eleven.

If you haven't bought this yet, then you're one of those hidin' on the island like LOST motherfuckers.

So thorough.

For a minute I was on the fence about picking this up, thinking "well, I do have a lot of those cuts already," but it's really thoughtfully put together, which makes all the difference in the world. Everybody should cop... including those that already know the lyrics to "Diamonds & Wood" by heart.

• Hey Urrrrrrrrrrs, are you in town? Cosmo was 'posed to bring me copies of this and Love Break for Le Shoppe but uh... well yeah, planet Cosmo. Sheeyit, I'll go pick em up.

Love youse guys!