Official midnite new years eve thread (DJ/RR)

sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
I am currently preparing my sets for all the christmas and new years eve parties and all the time I struggle with which record to play at midnite on new years eve? All dj's in this place that spin at new years eve, what will you play @ midnite? With which song should the new year start? Any suggestions would be highly appreciated...and all nondjing strutters are welcome to add their suggestions, too

Comments

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    Im planning on getting them all depressed with Daivid Grays This years love.

• One year, peacefulrotation dropped "First Of the Month" by Bone at midnight.

That still makes me laugh.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    What about Prince 1999?

• what will you play @ midnite? With which song should the new year start?

I'm going with, as usual the funky version of 'auld lang synne' by Honey & the Bee's

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I usually drop that joun that starts with "Don't stop, get it get it, pop that pussy doo doo brown..."

• Five years ago I dropped the Deodato version of 2001. Last year I played "I Just Want to Celebrate" by Rare Earth. This year I'll be kissing my girlfriend and hoping the DJ plays something I like (first New Years in eight when I won't be DJing).

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    What about Prince 1999?

Is this still allowed? Thought about that one too....or maybe something that deals with 2006? Is there a song? "Get your kicks in 2006", ha! What else is there? Robbie effin Williams with "Millenium"?

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    I'm not spinning nye parties. I didn't enjoyed any of the once that I did. But that's just me, I guess.

• I'm DJing a rock show on New Years Eve...so I will play Jimi Hendrix "Auld Lang Syne" at midnight...cant think of any better than that.

• I'm DJing a rock show on New Years Eve...so I will play Jimi Hendrix "Auld Lang Syne" at midnight...cant think of any better than that.

that's what i usually play, as everybody clinks glasses, hugs and kisses, etc.

then i hit them with some jumpoff-type jernt.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    are there really people in the club at midnight in the us? around these parts of the world, everyone goes outside to watch fireworks at that time.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    around these parts of the world, everyone goes outside to watch fireworks at that time.

that sounds dope!

i usually drop this cool, off-key version of 'auld lang', chug a minibottle of champagne and then hit 'em with the heat. dropped 1999 in 2000 and 2001, only to be ice grilled by the dancefloor.

hey sticky: what kind of party is your nye jump off? hiphop, house, rock etc...?

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    who let the dog's out. It kills at kindergarden!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Whenever possible, I always try to fuck-in the new year. To hell with a club.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    we were talking about this last night.

i was saying at The Rub, probably Welcome to Jamrock right quick (intro/verse/first chorus) then something fast like Don't Stop Til You Get Enough. for a regular hip-hop crowd, I would do Stay Fly or Lose Control. if it is a corny white crowd it would be Kelly Clarkson or Black Eyed Peas or Gwen Stefani.

• What about Prince 1999?

Is this still allowed? Thought about that one too....or maybe something that deals with 2006? Is there a song? "Get your kicks in 2006", ha! What else is there? Robbie effin Williams with "Millenium"?

i can't front in this song actually - i think they lyrics/melody are pretty damn good, and i like the reworking of 'you only live twice'

but i constantly get told i have "terrible taste in music"... so there you go.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    hey sticky: what kind of party is your nye jump off? hiphop, house, rock etc...?

It probably will be some mostly white hipster crowd who will enjoy alot of Disco and some 80's type of steez and a bit of HipHop (no rock, that comes later at 3 at the other party i'm spinning at). I probably go for some Jacksonstuff as well like the Rubguys...and yeah, it's true what Mcdee said, most people will probably be out to watch the fireworks, however, they will return quickly to dance (I hope so)...and yes, Robbie Williams "Millenium" is a nice popsong, nothing more, nothing less...dude was performing at "Wetten Dass", biggest Tv show in Europe. In the same show they got Fitty too...whatever, I think some nice discoclassic would be best. But i love the idea of playing Hendrix at midnight...and of course the "No party, just Fuck into the New Year" is also one of the better options...`

who else is spinning and preparing their sets? What will you play? What got you an icegrill and which records totally worked in the last years?

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    Stay Fly

yup

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    i gotta figure this out as well. i am not sure if my set will be going on at midnite or not. guess i need to figure that out as well.

i think stay fly might be a good bet.

my girl just said "no, i hate that song." hmmm.

maybe i will ask the host of the party?

"rock with you" or "dont stop..." is probably going to be the safe bet. i do not want s.

i can picture it now: drop some jam nobody is feeling, then serato crashes, then some drunk bitch falls into the decks and breaks a bunch of shit, then....

whew, what did i get myself in to?

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    i gotta figure this out as well. i am not sure if my set will be going on at midnite or not. guess i need to figure that out as well.

i think stay fly might be a good bet.

my girl just said "no, i hate that song." hmmm.

maybe i will ask the host of the party?

"rock with you" or "dont stop..." is probably going to be the safe bet. i do not want s.

i can picture it now: drop some jam nobody is feeling, then serato crashes, then some drunk bitch falls into the decks and breaks a bunch of shit, then....

whew, what did i get myself in to?

yeah last new years is the reason im getting a new mixer for christmas. it got filled with beer.

• Stevie Wonder- Another Star
    Not for every crowd...but you would be surprised how open this gets hispters and hip hop heads alike.

Also:

Aretha Franklin-Rock Steady

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    "rock with you" or "dont stop..." is probably going to be the safe bet. i do not want

If I was going to go with M.J., I think I would drop "Off the Wall."