DJ Insurance???

FrequencyFrequency 115 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Can someone help me with this or tell me what the hell it is?I have an opportunity to do a fairly big event but they are requiring that I am insured, as a DJ. I guess its for liability issues, like if someone walks into my speakers or something, but is it even worth it? I'm assuming its just regular insurance any business would have, but I'm not a DJ busines, its just a side gig.any thoughts?

Comments

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    I think it means you need corp or DBA status but I could be wrong. If it's short notice you might have to find someone with an ad/talent agency who's cool enough to put you on their books where you won't get taxed. If it's a one-off they might be able to work something temporary that won't involve a lot of paperwork.

I will consult the legal-eagle missus and let you know if I get some info.

• Can someone help me with this or tell me what the hell it is?

I have an opportunity to do a fairly big event but they are requiring that I am insured, as a DJ. I guess its for liability issues, like if someone walks into my speakers or something, but is it even worth it? I'm assuming its just regular insurance any business would have, but I'm not a DJ busines, its just a side gig.

any thoughts?

DJ insurance is a racket. When is it useful? When the grandpa of the bride has a heartattack on the dance floor after doing the humpty dance. Or their aunt Edna trips over your speaker stand. Or you scratch the fancy elevator on the way out with your equipment. Its bullshit. But what happens is when people sue, they sue everyone, the space, the DJ, the caterer, etc...so with fancier 'spaces' and/or events they sometimes require you to have insurance to cover thier asses. America, land of lawsuit, where someone can get millions from mcdonalds over hot coffee.

I've NEVER had to use it, but I did do this one private party on this cruise boat where the staff was completely psycho and claimed I fucked up their staying alive-like dance floor by moving my equipment over it. Nothing came of it but that's the only possible incident it would have come in handy in the 6-7 years I've had it.

The cost is like 2 bills a year, plus you have to join some DJ organization to get it, which is another 50-100 bucks. Sounds expensive (it is!) but if you get one job that's worth a G or more and you need insurance, well, you gotta do it. I have commercial brokerage services, they're out of the midwest, and have it thru wedj.com. There is also N.A.M.E., or nat'l association of mobile entertainers, but their annual fee is a bit higher so I recently switched to Wedj. I've also known DJs who have typed up fake forms and sent that out to spaces...a little risky for me, but that's another option.

Yes, I'm a wedding DJ from new jersey. Sounds , and often can be, but beats shovling shit, and affords you some rekkids/gear here and there. Besides, the way clubs are these days (at least in NYC), there's not much difference.

$??

• thanks for the info guys, i'm gonna look into it. it's going to pay pretty well so I might just have to eat that couple hundred.

• thanks for the info guys, i'm gonna look into it. it's going to pay pretty well so I might just have to eat that couple hundred.

forgot to mention that the insurance is good for a year, if you get other gigs...

$??