cd making 90 minute dilemma

tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
dear soulstrut,there was a 90 minute cassette once and it got cut to 76 minutes to fit on a cd.if it was to come out again, how could the original 90 minute format be accommodated in cd format? suggestions plaese.thank you,trickleduffel

Comments

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Release it as two CD's.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    thanks john.
    would that be a lot more expensive to manufacture?
    im talking runs of 500 to a 1000, nothing big baller levels

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Not really, unless you're doing the full glass master thing. I'm not sure who you've worked with before in making CD's, but with a project like that, I would think fans would want to hear the whole thing instead of it being edited. Kind of like an old album that is reissued with two or three less songs.

I say if it's within your budget, go ahead and release it as a double CD.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    dear soulstrut,

there was a 90 minute cassette once and it got cut to 76 minutes to fit on a cd.
    if it was to come out again, how could the original 90 minute format be accommodated in cd format? suggestions plaese.

thank you,
    trickleduffel

Does this have anything to do with the 752 minute "rough" copy of AEIOU 2 that I was fortunate to get prior to it's whittling down?

Herm

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    I think you should bring back the cassette tape.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    while we're on topic, I have a mix I recorded on two 6-hour VHS tapes. What would be the best way of releasing this '12 hour power mix' to the masses?????

any help is greatly appreciated
    -sketcheronehourtimestwelvepowermix

while we're on topic, I have a mix I recorded on two 6-hour VHS tapes. What would be the best way of releasing this '12 hour power mix' to the masses?????

Laserdisc.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

Laserdisc.

do people still have laserdisc car stereos these days???

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    aren't most cdr's 80 minutes these days !?! the ones I get seem to be ..

one other point, personally I find that 65-70 minutes is about the optimal length for a CD/mix .. dunno about others

MP3 files might be an option !? esp for you castillo .. ninjatune releases monthly compilations of their solid steel shows as MP3 files .. that said I believe they're only available at the monthly club nights, which are in London

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    there was a 90 minute cassette once and it got cut to 76 minutes to fit on a cd.
    if it was to come out again, how could the original 90 minute format be accommodated in cd format? suggestions plaese.

Release as an mp3 CD. Most car/home/computer players these days play mp3s so this is very realistic. Not to mention, you'll save people the time of having to rip it before uploading it to the internet.

You could release a standard length CD and then have the extra audio on a website as a bonus for people who bought your CD. It's different and people like the Internet.

You could also release it as a double or triple LP album. That's cost effective, right? :P

You could release it on a videocassette and add in video. Put that baby on LP and let it go.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Double CDs, add a little extra new "bonus" track to each cd, sell for more money. Viola. That's what I did for a couple of my World Of Beats tapes when I transferred them to cd.
    I guess you could edit them down, but folls NEED that full AEIOUness. Real headz know.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    Does this have anything to do with the 752 minute "rough" copy of AEIOU 2 that I was fortunate to get prior to it's whittling down?

Herm
    Thanks for sharing ya rat bastard!

Release as an mp3 CD. Most car/home/computer players these days play mp3s so this is very realistic. Not to mention, you'll save people the time of having to rip it before uploading it to the internet.
    Please don't release an mp3 CD. Sound quality is not as good. Just double disc it and revel in the excesses.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Double CDs, add a little extra new "bonus" track to each cd, sell for more money. Viola. That's what I did for a couple of my World Of Beats tapes when I transferred them to cd.

I guess you could edit them down, but folls NEED that full AEIOUness. Real headz know.

That's it right there.

If you have any live recordings DJing the stuff throw in an extra 30 minute live track at the end of each CD.

Up the suggested retail to $14 or somthing and boom.

That's it right there.
    If you have any live recordings DJing the stuff throw in an extra 30 minute live track at the end of each CD.
    Up the suggested retail to $14 or somthing and boom.

soulstrut= most thorough thinktank
    mp3 thing sounds interesting, but since i dont have mp3 player, not going to go there.
    looks like double cd is the move. p**l, like when you put the worlofbeats 2 + 3 out doubled? cost didnt balllooon?

herm, you heard some raggedy ass shit on that cdr. cutting room floor. give that shit to the mad hatter to rest his wine cup on.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    ill! AEIOU 1 coming out on CD finally!... I'm hocking my orig cassette complete with frozen pepperoni's and Tempo For Tots!

"We can make it, we can make it if we tryyyyy..."

Marge Simpson "Memphis Soul Stew"
    ill "Dizzy" covers...

herm, you heard some raggedy ass shit on that cdr. cutting room floor. give that shit to the mad hatter to rest his wine cup on.

SHHHHH!!! You're gonna ruin my eBay auction!!!

Herm

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Do it on a DVD man. Very cost effective too.

• ive never had the pleasure of hearing AEIOU

Do it on a DVD man. Very cost effective too.
    how does that work? how much music can go on it and can you get video on it with the music?

definitely dated but still a fun time. but right now im just concentratng on getting these 90 minute 2nd grade piano recitals on cd.