Making pops a SOUL CD (Suggestions?)

DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Furr-real, dudes been into soul ever since I can remember but has since gotten over music in general (damn always wondered what happened to his records). Anyways, would like to make him a cd of some cool soul shit and have some examples but need to expand a little - so please Chime IN! Thanks...Shit Pops would play and listen to:- Sam & Dave "I Thank You" - Mel & Tim "Groovy Situation" - James Brown (Pretty much everything) - Beginning of the End - King Floyd

Comments

• Furr-real, dudes been into soul ever since I can remember but has since gotten over music in general (damn always wondered what happened to his records). Anyways, would like to make him a cd of some cool soul shit and have some examples but need to expand a little - so please Chime IN! Thanks...

Shit Pops would play and listen to:
    - Sam & Dave "I Thank You"
    - Mel & Tim "Groovy Situation"
    - James Brown (Pretty much everything)
    - Beginning of the End
    - King Floyd

I've done a couple myself to pops last couple of years, started out with me stealing his Booker T, Otis, Four Tops and Drifters lps and him telling me some stuff about it, now he's mind boggled when he looks at the stuff that i get in the post, expecting to recognize stuff, hahaha...

Some stuff that i featured that should work:

Gloria Walker "my precious love"
    Miracles "if your mother only knew"
    Fascinations "just another reason" (beats the hell out of Donnys version )
    Temptations "girl (why you wanna make me blue?)"
    Deon Jackson "love makes the world go round"
    Gloria Lynne "thank you early bird"
    Jerry Butler "never gonna give you up"

Also i on the last one i featured Guitar Ray on Shagg which he liked and the Bees "punchbag" to add something that wasn't oldie

Please post the tracklist when you're done, always fun to see..

/Leo

• My dad's loving Cat Parsons - "Free"

He comes and chills on my windowsill when i play it, and when its finished he does the circling finger "play it again" sign

nice dude underneath all the bravado.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I say do a mix of stuff that would be familiar to him, instead of raers. Curtis Mayfield, Al Green, Marvin Gaye, Sam Cooke, Bill Withers, Temptations, Aretha etc...

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    I say do a mix of stuff that would be familiar to him, instead of raers. Curtis Mayfield, Al Green, Marvin Gaye, Sam Cooke, Bill Withers, Temptations, Aretha etc...

Well I didn't mention raers (I think). Ideally I'd like to do both, some stuff he knows and some stuff he doesn't, in other words nothing too Raer. Plus last year I bought him a comp with most those artists you mentioned and I'm kind of trying to find stuff thats in between a hit record and raer, something that may be familiar though...

Side note: he's from the midwest (Kansas) so I'd be curious in some Kansas City Soul if possible (I know nothing when it comes to this)...

Thanks for the replies... I'll check those songs out...

• Harold Melvin & the Bluenotes - Hope that we can be together soon

Dramatics - In the Rain

Three Degrees - Love Train (Live Version maybe?)

Staple Singers - Sitting on the dock of the bay

New York City - Sanity

Marvin Gaye - Here my Dear

just some songs that came to my head...

btw: i bought my dad the Arthur Verocai CD for Christmas. Hope he likes it as much as i do.