Lee Gagnon, the Jeremie OST, and Odub

Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
"That's what they mean by 'break'?"[/b] Today I spent the afternoon listening to music with Lee Gagnon (composer of the Jeremie OST, among other stellar albums). Now he finally understands what hiphop trainspotters mean when they talk about the 'Jeremie break'. It's a bizarre, humbling experience to listen to an album like Jeremie with its composer and learning that he more or less appreciates the same elements that we appreciate. Gagnon has wild stories about the ballet that the soundtrack accompanied; apparently it was as wild as the music. In what I've come to appreciate as the norm with people who made music that interests us, Lee's new idiom is smoothe jazz. It's better than Kenny G, but it's still smoothe jazz. In fairness, I bet there was some punk pisher like me in the mid-70's turning his nose at Jeremie and complaining that Lee lost it the moment he went electric. Lee's also recorded some excellent jazz suites that will hopefully get released in the future. Look for a preview on Waxing Deep.Finally, Odub should be pleased to learn that all Lee's promo CDs include his Soul Sides write-up of Jeremie ("this is a record out of the Quebecois-part of Canada"). There's always the Soulstrut connection.

Comments

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    what a schnozz!

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Cool! Also, look for his 12" singles on London Disco (?). He made lots of good music.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    His first lp on Capitol (Canada only) is a great straight ahead quartet set that can sit beside Miles and Cannonball.

Jeremie is absolutly great, and Lee seems like a super nice guy.

Dan

• Very cool to hear that came together Dan!

Does he have any pics of the ballet? (and not just for the ladies from the inside gatefold... OOF)

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    He's checking his archives to see if he has any ballet snapshots. I'd like very much for any future reissue to include more details about it.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Dan.

This is fucking rad. Are you trying to Re-ish this?

YOu gonna be around this weekend?