Genre question - Country Joe and the Fish

gambitgambit 906 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
I see listings on ebay for C.J. and the Fish as psych, but I have one of their LPs from 1970 that doesn't have much psych elements to it. Then again, in '75, on the Together[/b] LP, psych elements come into play. Are they considered a psych rock band?I don't know much about the band and have been doing research on them. I just wanted to prod and see if anyone could clarify this for me. I only have 3 of their LPs. I dig them a lot though.Oh, here's a clip of the Together[/b] LP to jog your memory:Click here doggy.

Comments

• I see listings on ebay for C.J. and the Fish as psych, but I have one of their LPs from 1970 that doesn't have much psych elements to it. Then again, in '75, on the Together[/b] LP, psych elements come into play. Are they considered a psych rock band?

I don't know much about the band and have been doing research on them. I just wanted to prod and see if anyone could clarify this for me. I only have 3 of their LPs. I dig them a lot though.

Oh, here's a clip of the Together[/b] LP to jog your memory:
    Click here doggy.

Classic psych:

Check out the title.

I like this even more:

After these two albums

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    I see listings on ebay for C.J. and the Fish as psych, but I have one of their LPs from 1970 that doesn't have much psych elements to it. Then again, in '75, on the Together[/b] LP, psych elements come into play. Are they considered a psych rock band?

I don't know much about the band and have been doing research on them. I just wanted to prod and see if anyone could clarify this for me. I only have 3 of their LPs. I dig them a lot though.

Click here doggy.

I have them filed under rock braeks near Savoy Brown. Def not psych, but maybe I haven't heard the right LPs.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    I see listings on ebay for C.J. and the Fish as psych, but I have one of their LPs from 1970 that doesn't have much psych elements to it. Then again, in '75, on the Together[/b] LP, psych elements come into play. Are they considered a psych rock band?

Click here doggy.

Classic psych:

Check out the title.

I like this even more:

After these two albums
    Word, I'm trying to cop that second LP. I came across all of the ones I had for really cheap out in Lansing, MI. I've been trying to find who had them to see if they'll let go the other ones.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    File under: "TAKE A BATH, YA DAMN HIPPIES!!!"[/b]

• File under: "TAKE A BATH, YA DAMN HIPPIES!!!"[/b]

Aka PSYCH[/b]

Aka PSYCH[/b]

well, let's just say, I wouldn't waste a tab listening to Country Joe...

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

Together[/b] is one of my favorite albums by them, even though apparently a lot of Country Joe fans have said otherwise. But you have the studio version of "Rock & Soul Music" on there, the "Good Guy/Bad Guy Cheer", "The Harlem Song", "The Streets Of Your Town".

I think Country Joe McDonald's political side slightly moves them out of what is considered "psych rock", because while they did songs like "Marijuana", they also mixed things up, as a lot of bands of that era did, like a heavier Turtles.

Loosely, they would be called "psych rock", just as much as Jefferson Airplane I guess.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    Rgeir performance at woodstock is pretty nice. You might wanna check that.

- J

Aka PSYCH[/b]

well, let's just say, I wouldn't waste a tab listening to Country Joe...

Maybe not, but if I was on a long trip I would certainly put on "Eastern Jam" and let it spiral into "Colors For Susan."

are we beefing yet???

"and, I will work you, son!"

• are we beefing yet???

"and, I will work you, son!"

You supply the acid.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Aka PSYCH[/b]

I consider the line between hippie rock and psych to usually be a solid and easily definable one

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,084 Posts
    "There's about three hundred thousand of you fuckers out there and I want you all to start singing!!!"

"Gimme a 'F'...Gimme a 'U'...Gimme a 'C'...Gimme a 'K'...What's that spell?!?...What's that spell?!?"

- J

Aka PSYCH[/b]

I consider the line between hippie rock and psych to usually be a solid and easily definable one

Well, let's hear it then...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

its a lot better than that rambling instrumental they did in MONTEREY POP

That was so-so. I had been a Woodstock fan for years before I ever saw Monterey Pop[/b]. However, the 3DVD Criterion box set for Monterey Pop[/b] is hard to top. They'd have to come out with a 10DVD Woodstock[/b] box set, which I would buy. I would like to see the original 8 hour edit of the film.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    CJ&F were a Berkley band. They were decidedly more folk and political than their bretheren across the bay. Electric Music For The Mind And Body lets you know that psych is where they were coming from.

CJ had a song on his solo lp about hitchhicking and getting high that I really liked back when I was 16. I remember it being pretty sikeadelic, but who knows what it would sound like today.

Dan

That was so-so. I had been a Woodstock fan for years before I ever saw Monterey Pop[/b]. However, the 3DVD Criterion box set for Monterey Pop[/b] is hard to top. They'd have to come out with a 10DVD Woodstock[/b] box set, which I would buy. I would like to see the original 8 hour edit of the film.

I thought Monterey Pop was hipper than Woodstock, hands down. Monterey had more diversity. Never again would you be able to see the Grateful Dead and Lou Rawls on the same program.

• SexyBNyceSexyBNyce 371 Posts

you know what-I'm actually feeling that! I recently saw some deleted performances from the montery pop film. they are so clearly on acid!

the deleted mike bloomfield clip is insane too.

you know what-I'm actually feeling that! I recently saw some deleted performances from the montery pop film. they are so clearly on acid!

the deleted mike bloomfield clip is insane too.

So was this a performance with the Electric Flag? I'd like to see that.

In the movie, the only time you see Bloomfield is during Ravi Shankar's set, when the camera zooms in on Bloomfield's face, obviously impressed.