DJ Premier speaks on Serato

PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
edited December 2005 in DJ Talk / Mixes
Here's what he says:"With Rane's Serato, there's a lot of microwave DJ's out there with MP3's. But Serato is, to me, something you have to earn. I'm like "have you dug in the crates? Do you have at least 2,000 records? Did you ever have to carry all your speakers and crates to a gig?" If you have, then you can graduate to Serato. Here's your medal."

Comments

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Here's what he says:

"With Rane's Serato, there's a lot of microwave DJ's out there with MP3's. But Serato is, to me, something you have to earn. I'm like "have you dug in the crates? Do you have at least 2,000 records? Did you ever have to carry all your speakers and crates to a gig?" If you have, then you can graduate to Serato. Here's your medal."

you've earned it

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Here's what he says:

"With Rane's Serato, there's a lot of microwave DJ's out there with MP3's. But Serato is, to me, something you have to earn. I'm like "have you dug in the crates? Do you have at least 2,000 records? Did you ever have to carry all your speakers and crates to a gig?" If you have, then you can graduate to Serato. Here's your medal."

you've earned it

hahaha nice!

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    what's a microwave dj?

• guess he means ready-made. like just heat n' serve. or in Danno's case: servin' heat!!!!

• what's a microwave dj?

I believe that it is similar to what Premier has previously referred to as a "microwave popcorn-ass ni**a."

I have over 2000 records, have dug in the crates, and have carried all types of shit to and from many, many gigs.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to return to digitizing my records for use with Serato.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    what's a microwave dj?

I believe that it is similar to what Premier has previously referred to as a "microwave popcorn-ass ni**a."

I have over 2000 records, have dug in the crates, and have carried all types of shit to and from many, many gigs.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to return to digitizing my records for use with Serato.

you've earned it

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    the international dj community was waiting to hear dj premier's feelings on serato and is now thrilled to know that he approves of "non-microwave" djs

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    ZING!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    "have you dug in the crates? Do you have at least 2,000 records? Did you ever have to carry all your speakers and crates to a gig?""

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Can we get a Microwave DJ graemlin?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    "WITH RANE'S SERATO, THERE'S A LOT OF MICROWAVE DJ'S OUT THERE WITH MP3'S. BUT SERATO IS, TO ME, SOMETHING YOU HAVE TO EARN. I'M LIKE "HAVE YOU DUG IN THE CRATES"? DO YOU HAVE AT LEAST 2,000 RECORDS? DID YOU EVER HAVE TO CARRY ALL YOUR SPEAKERS AND CRATES TO A GIG?" IF YOU HAVE THEN YOU CAN GRADUATE TO SERATO. HERE'S YOUR MEDAL, YOU FUCKIN ROBOTS."

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Can we get a Microwave DJ graemlin?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    hes totally right. Ive seen a rabid infestation of microwave popcorn ass dj's with dildo.

However, what others have said is true, if you suck without serato, you will still suck with serato.

Now i wonder what dj premiers soulseek name is.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    the international dj community was waiting to hear dj premier's feelings on serato and is now thrilled to know that he approves of "non-microwave" djs

• Here's what he says:

this same argument can be applied to cats rockin boots/ reish. Am i out to prove how stupid i am by bringing records out that i can not replace, only to risk further cue burn..etc. fuck the dumb shit

serato is the truth

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    I personally fuck with being totally bitter. Why the hell shouldn't he be? If I were Premier I'd probably be a lot worse to tell you the truth. But he's sorta right. For those that have been playing records for
    10 years plus - do you remember how fucking bitter you were when you saw sonny doos playing out with CDs? Them cats was....
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    Here's what he says:

this same argument can be applied to cats rockin boots/ reish.

That's exactly his point. Microwave in the sense that some kid can download a shit load of MP3's and load up Serato and become a DJ overnight. It's the fast track shit. The way I see it, unless you *OWN* the OG, don't play that shit in Serato or rock an MP3. I think that's his beef. The same way someone can come to the net, download a raer MP3 of some Russian record on MELODIA when dood don't even know that some local US record like Pot Liquor got drums or something. If you own all these OG's...hell ya, use Serato or rock a reissue. If you don't, you're a cookie cutter DJ. My sister can do what you're doing. It's like when people say "Shit, if I had crates like that I could make beats too"...shit, if I was 7"2 and weighed 340, I could be a centre in the NBA...what's you point? Crates are part of the game and so is the knowledge, and with MP3's fools can have instant collection without learning where the shit came from or putting in the work.

• he's obviously a really insecure dude

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    If you're rockin Serato at a house party for your friends, and everyone is having a good time, yet you're a mircowave popcorn DJ, I could give a fuckin shit less as long as I'm havin fun.

If you're playing big ass clubs, and you fucking suck as a DJ, you don't own a crates worth of records, and you're rockin Serato, you're a fucking herb chump.

Either way though, I could really give a fuck less. Everyone these days is out for fame, and personally it doesn't get my panties in a bundle. Its just music in the end. A herb can be spotted a mile away.

Y'all really need to just stop with your disrespecting of Primo. Really. It's becoming like some mob mentality schitt up in here. I think some of y'all are the ones who are insecure.

Dissing your hip hop legends = , but I guess that's not even important to some of y'all.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    If you're rockin Serato at a house party for your friends, and everyone is having a good time, yet you're a mircowave popcorn DJ, I could give a fuckin shit less as long as I'm havin fun.

If you're playing big ass clubs, and you fucking suck as a DJ, you don't own a crates worth of records, and you're rockin Serato, you're a fucking herb chump.

Either way though, I could really give a fuck less. Everyone these days is out for fame, and personally it doesn't get my panties in a bundle. Its just music in the end. A herb can be spotted a mile away.

absolute 100% money on the table co-sign.....

Y'all really need to just stop with your disrespecting of Primo. Really. It's becoming like some mob mentality schitt up in here. I think some of y'all are the ones who are insecure.
    Dissing your hip hop legends = , but I guess that's not even important to some of y'all.

man i'm not saying anything about primo, but all the rules and regulations are corny as fuck

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    Here's what he says:

That's exactly his point. Microwave in the sense that some kid can download a shit load of MP3's and load up Serato and become a DJ overnight. It's the fast track shit. The way I see it, unless you *OWN* the OG, don't play that shit in Serato or rock an MP3. I think that's his beef. The same way someone can come to the net, download a raer MP3 of some Russian record on MELODIA when dood don't even know that some local US record like Pot Liquor got drums or something. If you own all these OG's...hell ya, use Serato or rock a reissue. If you don't, you're a cookie cutter DJ. My sister can do what you're doing. It's like when people say "Shit, if I had crates like that I could make beats too"...shit, if I was 7"2 and weighed 340, I could be a centre in the NBA...what's you point? Crates are part of the game and so is the knowledge, and with MP3's fools can have instant collection without learning where the shit came from or putting in the work.
  • 'you can`t polish a turd'

there will never be an instant mix for being a great dj..that shit comes with experience.

primo paid his dues.thats his opinion.

man i'm not saying anything about primo, but all the rules and regulations are corny as fuck

Yeah, I agree with that to some degree. But some of the schitt is not really rules, it's just common sense. Everything has become easier for the new generation of dj's / diggers, etc. Some dudes can't even imagine what it was like back when you didn't have the internet, didn't have all this record knowledge at your fingertips at the press of a button and so on. Soon you're gonna have dudes who can't remember what it was like when you couldn't just download any music that you want, from the common to the mega-rare. Primo's just saying that people need to pay those real dues and not just do it the easy way if they want to be considered real dj's. But I guess in this day and age people don't even care about if they're true to their trade or not- everybody's happy and dancing, I'm getting my money, f--k the rest. Whatever, man.
    I'm not even a dj so guess I really have no business even getting into that part of the discussion. I'm just tired of so many people on this board piling on with their criticism of a dude who's meant so much to hip hop music. It really makes those people look bad more than it makes him look bad,

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Yeah, I agree with that to some degree. But some of the schitt is not really rules, it's just common sense. Everything has become easier for the new generation of dj's / diggers, etc. Some dudes can't even imagine what it was like back when you didn't have the internet, didn't have all this record knowledge at your fingertips at the press of a button and so on. Soon you're gonna have dudes who can't remember what it was like when you couldn't just download any music that you want, from the common to the mega-rare. Primo's just saying that people need to pay those real dues and not just do it the easy way if they want to be considered real dj's. But I guess in this day and age people don't even care about if they're true to their trade or not- everybody's happy and dancing, I'm getting my money, f--k the rest. Whatever, man.
    I'm not even a dj so guess I really have no business even getting into that part of the discussion. I'm just tired of so many people on this board piling on with their criticism of a dude who's meant so much to hip hop music. It really makes those people look bad more than it makes him look bad,

AMEN!!!

• Here's what he says:

That's exactly his point. Microwave in the sense that some kid can download a shit load of MP3's and load up Serato and become a DJ overnight. It's the fast track shit. The way I see it, unless you *OWN* the OG, don't play that shit in Serato or rock an MP3.[/b] I think that's his beef. The same way someone can come to the net, download a raer MP3 of some Russian record on MELODIA when dood don't even know that some local US record like Pot Liquor got drums or something. If you own all these OG's...hell ya, use Serato or rock a reissue. If you don't, you're a cookie cutter DJ. My sister can do what you're doing. It's like when people say "Shit, if I had crates like that I could make beats too"...shit, if I was 7"2 and weighed 340, I could be a centre in the NBA...what's you point? Crates are part of the game and so is the knowledge, and with MP3's fools can have instant collection without learning where the shit came from or putting in the work.

That is patently ridiculous. You might as well say that if you didn't buy the record the month it came out, you're a know-not herb and you shouldn't play it.

This implies that being a good DJ requires nothing more than access to music. Instant collection does not equate to having skills. I know guys with unbelievable collections AND mixing skills who are horrible DJs. A good DJ has to come prepared, read a crowd, know when and how to play the right songs, and so much more.

And no disprespect to your sister, but no fucking way can she do what I do.

Now, guys who floss their mp3s? That's another story entirely.

• B>PRIMO'S /B> collection does not equate to having skills. I know B> PRIMO /B> has an unbelievable collection B> AND LAZY /B> mixing skills B> AND IS A /B> horrible DJ. B> PRIMO /B> has to come prepared, read a crowd, know when and how to play the right songs, and so much more.

B> P-P-P-P-P-PREMIER PREMIER. /B>

Pretty sad actually.
    cue up..B> "Y'ALLS VIOLATIN'" /B>

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    he's obviously a really insecure dude

Phil,

I really think a lot of these comments stem from the disappointment of people who always looked up to the guy seeing how corny and bitter his attitude has become in recent years. I don't think it's about any kind of insecurity.