Banned Songs!!! Attn: DJ's

JoshDJoshD 215 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
New Year is a month away. Like certain slang is banned every new year, DJ's should also ban songs for the new year.1. Hall and Oats - I can't go for that (with the rare exception of covers)//I banned this one in 2005 as wellanyone have any to add.-JoshD

Comments

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    I imposed a ban on 'Superstition', the Stevie OG, for 2005.

Still played out the Shirley Scott or Southside Movement versions every now and again though.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts

1. Hall and Oats - I can't go for that (with the rare exception of covers)

oh man!

I can see why you would ban that! BUt I love the song! It has been a guilty pleasure of mine for years! Then it got really popular, and I got really sick of hearing it soo damn much.

ok ban!

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    New Year is a month away. Like certain slang is banned every new year, DJ's should also ban songs for the new year.

//I banned this one in 2005 as well

anyone have any to add.

-JoshD

Why, man?... That song is fucking awesome. Maybe it's because I don't go out to clubs at all, but I can listen to that song on repeat 24 hours a day. It's also one of the few 80s pop songs I can stand these days (that and Electric Avenue).

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

oh man!

I can see why you would ban that! BUt I love the song! It has been a guilty pleasure of mine for years! Then it got really popular, and I got really sick of hearing it soo damn much.

ok ban!

Hall & Oates in general... do not feel guilty about liking these guys. They are legends.

Hall & Oates in general... do not feel guilty about liking these guys. They are legends.

I honestly dont know anything about them other than "I cant go for that" and "Man-Eater"

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

I honestly dont know anything about them other than "I cant go for that" and "Man-Eater"

Don't sleep on "Out of touch"

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    New Year is a month away. Like certain slang is banned every new year, DJ's should also ban songs for the new year.

//I banned this one in 2005 as well

anyone have any to add.

-JoshD
    Yeah, you're the reason I used to really be into it. And you're also the reason I didn't want to hear it at one point. I'm okay now. It's still the jam. Hall & Oates are cool with me.

But in '04, that was you and Houseshoes' signature song!

Wow... Dunny on the internet... weird.

• JoshDJoshD 215 Posts

Why, man?... That song is fucking awesome. Maybe it's because I don't go out to clubs at all, but I can listen to that song on repeat 24 hours a day. It's also one of the few 80s pop songs I can stand these days (that and Electric Avenue).

I'm not hatting on Hall & Oats (the most successful pop duo of all time!) I'm not even trying to hatt on the song. It's just for me, every DJ has seemed to slip this one into their routine, at least in Detroit, in 2002/2003 it quickly went from "I forgot how much I love that song!" to a real "eye-roller" That's why it's banned, let's bring it back in 09 so fools can once again say "I forgot how much I love that song!"

P.S. Electric Avenue SO NOT BANNED
    b side Time Warp

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    i finally stopped playing Back Dat Azz Up at my local underground hip hop show openers.

• i won't play stevie's "superstition".

what about outkast's thing...that one that was on all the time?? hey ya

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    I can't believe "Superstition" and "I can't go for that" are getting banned. When people go out--believe it or not--they want to hear songs they know and like. At least those two songs are good great songs! Why don't you ban some terrible ish like "I think they like me?"

-e

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    Why don't you ban some terrible ish like "I think they like me?"

-e

WHOA. Slow your roll. I Think They Like Me is a great good song.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    I can't believe "Superstition" and "I can't go for that" are getting banned.

Because it's been plaayyyyyyyyyeed.

Go anywhere - here a Stevie jammy. Come to my house, the fish stop swimming.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Scenario and Choice is Yours.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    Scenario and Choice is Yours.

I Got It Made. Top Billin. DWYCK.

• Cosign Scenario, Choice is Yours..
    Add T.R.O.Y. please, and please 93 till infinity. 21 year olds were born in 1985! They don't want to party to no god damn shit big upping when they were 8.
    underground hip hop get over it for chrisake. good morning.

• JoshDJoshD 215 Posts
    Come to my house, the fish stop swimming.

• ayoayo 44 Posts
    i wouldnt ban anything because i believe anything mixed in right no matter what can hit... but to keep the thread going i will say: Ray Charles--->Kanye "Gold digger" transition. everyone and their mother is using this transition.

• welcome to the board josh!

i'd like to ban hypnotize, but know it'll never happen. i can't even keep myself from playing it.

• Wow... Dunny on the internet... weird.

Yeah, and I actually got a call from the dude the other day... Josh, did you break up with yor girl or something?

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Cosign Scenario, Choice is Yours..
    Add T.R.O.Y. please, and please 93 till infinity. 21 year olds were born in 1985! They don't want to party to no god damn shit big upping when they were 8.
    underground hip hop get over it for chrisake. good morning.

yes.

Except maybe T.R.O.Y. at the right time.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    Man, on the real, if the songs come in the right context, they will always be hot.

If you see the same DJ playing sets over and over and it keeps coming up, that's when it gets a little played.

The thing I hate most in Detroit is all the cats that copy the same records that one DJ made popular. Buy some more records fuckas! Cats play that same Phat Kat/SV/Dilla shit that one man broke new. So. damn. tired.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    This thread is kind of pointless.

All of these songs (except for They Like Me) are CLASSICS. We can all go on forever about classics we've heard too many times.

It would not be cool to hear Scenario played into Choice into DWYCK (and, yeah, that happens), but it is always cool to hear classics mixed into more thoughtful, less played selections. The average patron (god if this hasn't been talked to death on SS) wants to hear what they know, so the DJ gives it to em.

I mean, if I hear Zane one more time, I think I'll hurl, but that brings the girls onto the floor every time. Same with H&O.

Most people going to the club are weekend warriors, not djs talking on internet message boards and spending half their week in the club.

How about, rather than the same old list of "I think this or that is played out," people post the records they would play IN PLACE of those records, the ones that aren't eye-rollers? I would be that in a lot of instances, one person's secret weapon is another's eye-roller and vice versa.

your post is pointless.

piss off.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts

your post is pointless.

piss off.

wow. never thought someone would be SO CLEVER to reply with that. whatever dude.

whatever dude.

wow. never thought someone would be SO CLEVER to reply with that.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

b side Time Warp

• Add T.R.O.Y. please

Never. That song is always pleasing to hear.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    How about, rather than the same old list of "I think this or that is played out," people post the records they would play IN PLACE of those records, the ones that aren't eye-rollers? I would be that in a lot of instances, one person's secret weapon is another's eye-roller and vice versa.

This is a good idea. Change the canon.

Hall and Oats - I can't Go For That___ Hall and Oats - Out of Touch
    Stevie Wonder - Superstition___ Shirley Scott - Superstition
    Outkast - Hey Ya___ Outkast - Bombs Over Baghdad
    A Tribe Called Quest - Scenario___ House of Pain - Jump Around (Pet Rock Remix)
    Black Sheep - Choice is Yours___ Black Sheep - Strobelight Honeys
    Special Ed - I Got It Made___ Special Ed - The Mission
    Audio Two - Top Billin___ MC Lyte - Cha Cha
    Gangstarr - DWYCK___ Gangstarr - The ? Remains
    Souls of Mischief - 93 till Infinity___ Casual - Who's It On?
    Ray Charles--->Kanye "Gold digger" transition ___ Willie Hutch ---> Three 6 Mafia "Stay Fly" transition
    Notorious BIG - Hypnotize___ Notorious BIG - Juicy remix
    Zhane - Hey Mr DJ___ Groove Theory - Tell Me

• Willie Hutch ---> Three 6 Mafia "Stay Fly" transition
    paging Hotsauce...