FUNK LEXICON PICTURES

HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
I bet everybody heard about the Funk lexicon. Peter Wermelinger from Switzerland is working on this book for over 20 years now. Not every picture in his book is from his own collection. He scanned the collection of diffrent collectors. And because a lot of people on this board consider themselfs as collectors here is your chance to become part of this legendary book.Peter is looking for scans of the following records. Picture-Scan Contributions for the Funk Lexicon ??? Wanted! (http://www.funk.ch/funk-lexikon.htm)I'm looking for some high-quality scans...Quality Scans means:- Scanned with at least 600dpi, in color- Size at least 520x520 pixel- Content should show the label plus about 1cm of the black vinyl surrounding it- Format: not compressed, TIFF or BMP of JPG- File-Format for PC (not MAC)- File-Size, no problem to send files of 1-5 MB to my mailbox [email]p.wermelinger@bluewin.ch[/email]Scans needed from the following 45s, (underlined side or both sides) and add information where missing, the bold ones are the most important ones, for me to add. 1st Priority Updated: 07.10.2005100 Years Time Merrecca MM8236 Woman of soul color of coal/Put your hand in yo..4th Coming Alpha ? Come to the feast/Cruising sunsetBall Billy & The Upsetters S.B.I. 517 African suspense/Come on homeCampbell George K Five North Carolina Super Star 7094-20 Wear it out part 1+2Carter Earl & The Baccus Expression ? Funky splat/?Davis Barbara ? ? Rated R (why is it a sin)/?Domino Renaldo Twinight 147 You need to be loved on/I'm a good manDr. Walkers Soul Medicine Sideways SR000 Funky prescription/Let it beFamily Tree Anada ADA101 Family tree/(disco version)Franken Rob Organ-ization RCA Victor 74-15137 Black jack/Green swampHall Barbara Tuska 106 Broken hearted/Big manHamilton Movement Look-Out LOR009 Love man/We're gonna partyHankins Sam & The Ho-Dads Ho-Dad W4KM9216/17 Song for my father/ShotgunJ.J.&The Groovy Funk Band Groovy Funk GF303 Something sweet/Everybody's gonna PartyJ.J.&The Groovy Funk Band ? ? Get it good/Pocket lintJessie & The Mel-O-Tones Long Production 206224 What's going on part 1+2Johnson Betty Mid-Way HU10?0 Can't help myself/Opportunity knocks only onceLos Masters EMI-Odeon MSOD-5134 Cissy strut/Sueno electricoLynne Gloria Acetate ? Honey machine/?Major & The Lieutenants H JS1516 Love peace and soul/CommunicatingMeasures Despenza 503 Can you handle it/Girls are evilMitchison Leon & Orchestra Mitchitone 8024 What cha need/I'll take you thereMugo United World 1490 Organize/Space travelNash Sunny (or The 3rd Movement) BRC ? 110 ? The third movement/`?Playboy Experience Sun Sound - Hot pants "smokin"/(instr.)Randy & The Soul Citizens Barry! BRY1026 Meet me at the pool part 1+2Satisfiers Metro-East 16793 Gene/Big bariSpence Wayne & Smiling Faces Peace 304334 Thank god for peace/Love's stronger than hateSpraggins Liz LuL L1003 The dance man/Give it all you gotStovall Brothers ? ? I don't mind/?Taylor Gloria House Guests 101 Brother less than a man/Blue glass...Varnado Lynn Gator (multicolour label) G1202 Tell me what's wrong/Wash and wear loveVise Chocolate Mama 1763 We tried it we tried it/Baby, I love youWheatley Marvin & The Communicators SAS 3 Asphalt jungle part 1+22nd PriorityBasic Sounds of Pittsburgh Baso S203952 Lonely little girl/Down beatBlack Horizon Black Horizon 7607 Black horizon part 1+2Blue Atmosphere Jewel 7608 Blue disco (instr.)/What is love without a loverBradley John & His Swinging Soul Seekers Josey J1002 I got my life straigt/Doing your doBryant Rusty Prestige (blue label) 750 Fire eater/The hookerCalloway Nelson Vangee V305 Funky horns/Soul meetingCarlisle Bill & Mary Rhone Kris K8086 Steppin' up/(instr.)Castro Antonio Universal International U.I.1001 W.E.L.F.A.R.E./Why can't I have youEnchanting Enchanters BenMoKeith 685 Boss action/No one in this worldEquasions Pac Sounds PAC5001 World of loneliness/It's so hard to say so longHarris Jackie & The Champions B & P 7715 Work your flapper part 1+2Hitchikers featuring The Mighty Pope Heart H62442 Mr. Fortune/I may have been a foolHodges Ricky Palos 1208 Save me part 1+2Houston Outlaws Westbound W179 Uncle Ed's backyard/Aint' no tellingJ. Willi & Co. Ki Ki - Boogie with your babyLittle Buck Seven B 7031 Little boy blue/Whisper my nameManzel Fraternity 3422 Sugar dreams/Midnight themeMartells A la carte M283 In the mornin/Broadway exitSaunders Merl Suemer-Tone 69 Mighty whitey/Right onSonics Black Beauty 302 Funky wolf/ChaseSoul Avengers Clear Joy 1110 I'll be funky 'til I die part 1+2Soul Men World Wide WW102 I remember/There was a timeTraffic Jam Toeholt 14708 Traffic jam/I can't get over youUptown Syndicate Fat City 101 Bloated/Just be yourself (Thanks to: Dante)Williams Frank & The Rocketeers Lloyd 0010 It's all over/Show me what you gotAdditional 45s Scans and Full Detail Information (incl. deadwax markings) Wanted (sound-files appreciated as I've not heard some of them and I'm not sure it'sworth to add them to the lexicon):􀂃 Soul Crusaders: Soul cruise/Big nickel ??? Dialee 1002􀂃 Sam Baker: Do right man ??? Saadia 9160􀂃 Sargent Kelly: I like it ??? Ckeilko C7􀂃 King Louie: Broadway up tight ??? Mockingbird 1007􀂃 Nola & The Soul Rockers: Reach down and get it ??? Goldleaf 010􀂃 Reflection Rhythm Section: The puzzle ??? Cotton 102􀂃 Robbie Robinson & The Show Stoppers: Hip slip ??? Mockingbird 1018􀂃 Barbara Stant: Baby I love you ??? Shiptown 202932􀂃 Degree of Freedom: Vegetable Soup ??? DCI 1001􀂃 Reno Expedition: Ain't nothing but a party ??? Tri-It 001􀂃 Roc-Kays Band:Roc-kays afro ??? Nairobi 2501􀂃 Swingmasters: Boogie on down ??? Guess 001􀂃 Vernon Young: Make love tonight ??? Music-Go-Round 1004􀂃 Ebonystic: Ain't it good to you ??? Scream 101􀂃 Nathan Wilkes: Strange feeling ??? Tragar 6817􀂃 Big T & The Peace Makers: Tighten up tighter ??? Nasco 030􀂃 Soul Unlimited: Rise everybody ??? Atomic Power 1001􀂃 Bettye Scott & Del-Vetts: Good feeling ??? Teako 1000􀂃 Gregory Washington: Pamla lamour ??? Brainstorm 169􀂃 LaShawan Collins: Girl choose the boy ??? Sincere 1004􀂃 Daytown Sidewinders: Let's go down to funksville/Slippin into darkness ??? Carlco 105􀂃 Andy Aaron: Right on time ??? CRS 000002 (only Information and soundfile)􀂃 Countdowns: Creative soul ??? Apollo 71669􀂃 Deacon Witherspoon & The Sons of Soul: Mandingo ??? Inner-Soul 1001􀂃 Pride: Come on, get dancing- Disco 206􀂃 Apollos Show Band: Peace still is with us ??? Apollos 1007􀂃 Black Fur: Feel the shock ??? BarTone 76129􀂃 Brass Horizon: We just want to play ??? Minda Mark􀂃 Co-Real Artists: What about you ??? Jordan 1012􀂃 Embracers: Latin blood ??? Spectrum 1􀂃 Miles Grayson: Stuck in the mud ??? Respect 101􀂃 Natural Resources Unpolluted: Funky with my stuff ??? Dore 854􀂃 Standards of Living: Cut up ??? Pacific 58210􀂃 Theodis Ealy
: This is my life ??? Chelan 1001􀂃 Gate: Streetman ??? Violetville Musice 41216􀂃 Ramsey & Company: Love call ??? Ramco 001􀂃 Future Shock: Jive cootie ??? Woogie 1Thanks in advance for any contribution.PeterYou got everything you need. Holla at your boy Peter and move your funky ass mofu !!!!PeaceHawkeye

Comments

• TobiTobi 187 Posts

100 Years Time Merrecca MM8236 Woman of soul color of coal/Put your hand in yo..

4th Coming Alpha ? Come to the feast/Cruising sunset

Ball Billy & The Upsetters S.B.I. 517 African suspense/Come on home

Campbell George K Five North Carolina Super Star 7094-20 Wear it out part 1+2

Carter Earl & The Baccus Expression ? Funky splat/?

Davis Barbara ? ? Rated R (why is it a sin)/?

Domino Renaldo Twinight 147 You need to be loved on/I'm a good man

Dr. Walkers Soul Medicine Sideways SR000 Funky prescription/Let it be

Family Tree Anada ADA101 Family tree/(disco version)

Franken Rob Organ-ization RCA Victor 74-15137 Black jack/Green swamp

Hall Barbara Tuska 106 Broken hearted/Big man

Hamilton Movement Look-Out LOR009 Love man/We're gonna party

Hankins Sam & The Ho-Dads Ho-Dad W4KM9216/17 Song for my father/Shotgun

J.J.&The Groovy Funk Band Groovy Funk GF303 Something sweet/Everybody's gonna Party

J.J.&The Groovy Funk Band ? ? Get it good/Pocket lint

Jessie & The Mel-O-Tones Long Production 206224 What's going on part 1+2

Johnson Betty Mid-Way HU10?0 Can't help myself/Opportunity knocks only once

Los Masters EMI-Odeon MSOD-5134 Cissy strut/Sueno electrico

Lynne Gloria Acetate ? Honey machine/?

Major & The Lieutenants H JS1516 Love peace and soul/Communicating

Measures Despenza 503 Can you handle it/Girls are evil

Mitchison Leon & Orchestra Mitchitone 8024 What cha need/I'll take you there

Mugo United World 1490 Organize/Space travel

Nash Sunny (or The 3rd Movement) BRC ? 110 ? The third movement/`?

Playboy Experience Sun Sound - Hot pants "smokin"/(instr.)

Randy & The Soul Citizens Barry! BRY1026 Meet me at the pool part 1+2

Satisfiers Metro-East 16793 Gene/Big bari

Spence Wayne & Smiling Faces Peace 304334 Thank god for peace/Love's stronger than hate

Spraggins Liz LuL L1003 The dance man/Give it all you got

Stovall Brothers ? ? I don't mind/?

Taylor Gloria House Guests 101 Brother less than a man/Blue glass...

Varnado Lynn Gator (multicolour label) G1202 Tell me what's wrong/Wash and wear love

Vise Chocolate Mama 1763 We tried it we tried it/Baby, I love you

Wheatley Marvin & The Communicators SAS 3 Asphalt jungle part 1+2

2nd Priority
    Basic Sounds of Pittsburgh Baso S203952 Lonely little girl/Down beat

Black Horizon Black Horizon 7607 Black horizon part 1+2

Blue Atmosphere Jewel 7608 Blue disco (instr.)/What is love without a lover

Bradley John & His Swinging Soul Seekers Josey J1002 I got my life straigt/Doing your do

Bryant Rusty Prestige (blue label) 750 Fire eater/The hooker

Calloway Nelson Vangee V305 Funky horns/Soul meeting

Carlisle Bill & Mary Rhone Kris K8086 Steppin' up/(instr.)

Castro Antonio Universal International U.I.1001 W.E.L.F.A.R.E./Why can't I have you

Enchanting Enchanters BenMoKeith 685 Boss action/No one in this world

Equasions Pac Sounds PAC5001 World of loneliness/It's so hard to say so long

Harris Jackie & The Champions B & P 7715 Work your flapper part 1+2

Hitchikers featuring The Mighty Pope Heart H62442 Mr. Fortune/I may have been a fool

Hodges Ricky Palos 1208 Save me part 1+2

Houston Outlaws Westbound W179 Uncle Ed's backyard/Aint' no telling

J. Willi & Co. Ki Ki - Boogie with your baby

Little Buck Seven B 7031 Little boy blue/Whisper my name

Manzel Fraternity 3422 Sugar dreams/Midnight theme

Martells A la carte M283 In the mornin/Broadway exit

Saunders Merl Suemer-Tone 69 Mighty whitey/Right on

Sonics Black Beauty 302 Funky wolf/Chase

Soul Avengers Clear Joy 1110 I'll be funky 'til I die part 1+2

Soul Men World Wide WW102 I remember/There was a time

Traffic Jam Toeholt 14708 Traffic jam/I can't get over you

Uptown Syndicate Fat City 101 Bloated/Just be yourself (Thanks to: Dante)

Williams Frank & The Rocketeers Lloyd 0010 It's all over/Show me what you got

Additional 45s Scans and Full Detail Information (incl. deadwax markings) Wanted (sound-files appreciated as I've not heard some of them and I'm not sure it's
    worth to add them to the lexicon):

􀂃 Soul Crusaders: Soul cruise/Big nickel ??? Dialee 1002
    􀂃 Sam Baker: Do right man ??? Saadia 9160
    􀂃 Sargent Kelly: I like it ??? Ckeilko C7
    􀂃 King Louie: Broadway up tight ??? Mockingbird 1007
    􀂃 Nola & The Soul Rockers: Reach down and get it ??? Goldleaf 010
    􀂃 Reflection Rhythm Section: The puzzle ??? Cotton 102
    􀂃 Robbie Robinson & The Show Stoppers: Hip slip ??? Mockingbird 1018
    􀂃 Barbara Stant: Baby I love you ??? Shiptown 202932
    􀂃 Degree of Freedom: Vegetable Soup ??? DCI 1001
    􀂃 Reno Expedition: Ain't nothing but a party ??? Tri-It 001
    􀂃 Roc-Kays Band:Roc-kays afro ??? Nairobi 2501
    􀂃 Swingmasters: Boogie on down ??? Guess 001
    􀂃 Vernon Young: Make love tonight ??? Music-Go-Round 1004
    􀂃 Ebonystic: Ain't it good to you ??? Scream 101
    􀂃 Nathan Wilkes: Strange feeling ??? Tragar 6817
    􀂃 Big T & The Peace Makers: Tighten up tighter ??? Nasco 030
    􀂃 Soul Unlimited: Rise everybody ??? Atomic Power 1001
    􀂃 Bettye Scott & Del-Vetts: Good feeling ??? Teako 1000
    􀂃 Gregory Washington: Pamla lamour ??? Brainstorm 169
    􀂃 LaShawan Collins: Girl choose the boy ??? Sincere 1004
    􀂃 Daytown Sidewinders: Let's go down to funksville/Slippin into darkness ??? Carlco 105
    􀂃 Andy Aaron: Right on time ??? CRS 000002 (only Information and soundfile)
    􀂃 Countdowns: Creative soul ??? Apollo 71669
    􀂃 Deacon Witherspoon & The Sons of Soul: Mandingo ??? Inner-Soul 1001
    􀂃 Pride: Come on, get dancing- Disco 206
    􀂃 Apollos Show Band: Peace still is with us ??? Apollos 1007
    􀂃 Black Fur: Feel the shock ??? BarTone 76129
    􀂃 Brass Horizon: We just want to play ??? Minda Mark
    􀂃 Co-Real Artists: What about you ??? Jordan 1012
    􀂃 Embracers: Latin blood ??? Spectrum 1
    􀂃 Miles Grayson: Stuck in the mud ??? Respect 101
    􀂃 Natural Resources Unpolluted: Funky with my stuff ??? Dore 854
    􀂃 Standards of Living: Cut up ??? Pacific 58210
    􀂃 Theodis Ealy: This is my life ??? Chelan 1001
    􀂃 Gate: Streetman ??? Violetville Musice 41216
    􀂃 Ramsey & Company: Love call ??? Ramco 001
    􀂃 Future Shock: Jive cootie ??? Woogie 1

• BeaverBeaver 164 Posts
    I got a few of those, I already sent Peter the Castro scan, will sort others as and when I get time, is it urgent?

• i got a few...i'll hit peter w that...thanks for posting this up here...i'd have never known!!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I got a few of those, I already sent Peter the Castro scan, will sort others as and when I get time, is it urgent?

Me, too. Peter, If you're reading this, I'll send you one or two of these tonight.

• Thank you for the effort to support me with contributions. As some of the above listed 45s I've already got the scans/information now, I've posted below an updated list. In the new year I will provide a much easier way to contribute on my website. All contributions will be available as an update in 2006, not yet defined in what form but these and many more will extend the new b&w edition. I will also add a list with LP-covers of which I need quality pics. As this is only my hobby please understand that I can not always answer on all emails fast enough, so thanks in advance to all previous and futur contributors. Peter

SCANS AND INFORMATION (Details incl. deadwax-information) WANTED
    (If there is a question-mark I even need to listen them) Updated: 29.11.2005
    100 Years Time Merrecca MM8236 Woman of soul color of coal
    Ball Billy & The Upsetters S.B.I. 517 African suspense/Come on home
    Carter Earl & The Baccus Expression ? Funky splat/?
    Davis Barbara ? ? Rated R (why is it a sin)/?
    Domino Renaldo Twinight 147 You need to be loved on
    Dr. Walkers Soul Medicine Sideways SR000 Funky prescription
    Franken Rob Organ-ization RCA Victor 74-15137 Black jack
    Hall Barbara Tuska 106 Broken hearted/Big man
    Hamilton Movement Look-Out LOR009 We're gonna party
    Hankins Sam & The Ho-Dads Ho-Dad W4KM9216/17 Shotgun
    J.J.&The Groovy Funk Band Groovy Funk GF303 Something sweet/Everybody's gonna party
    J.J.&The Groovy Funk Band ? ? Get it good/Pocket lint
    Jessie & The Mel-O-Tones Long Production 206224 What's going on part 1+2
    Johnson Betty Mid-Way HU10?0 Can't help myself
    Los Masters EMI-Odeon MSOD-5134 Cissy strut
    Lynne Gloria Acetate ? Honey machine/?
    Major & The Lieutenants H JS1516 Communicating
    Measures Despenza 503 Can you handle it
    Mitchison Leon & Orchestra Mitchitone 8024 What cha need/I'll take you there
    Mugo United World 1490 Organize
    Playboy Experience Sun Sound - Hot pants "smokin"(instr.)
    Randy & The Soul Citizens Barry! BRY1026 Meet me at the pool part 1
    Spence Wayne & Smiling Faces Peace 304334 Thank god for peace
    Spraggins Liz LuL L1003 The dance man/Give it all you got
    Stovall Brothers ? ? I don't mind/?
    Taylor Gloria House Guests 101 Brother less than a man
    Varnado Lynn Gator (multicolour label) G1202 Tell me what's wrong (MULTI-COLOR ISSUE)
    Basic Sounds of Pittsburgh Baso S203952 Down beat
    Black Horizon Black Horizon 7607 Black horizon part 1
    Blue Atmosphere Jewel 7608 Blue disco (instr.)
    Bradley John & His Swinging Soul Seekers Josey J1002 Doing your do
    Bryant Rusty Prestige (blue label) 750 Fire eater (BLUE LABEL)
    Calloway Nelson Vangee V305 Soul meeting
    Carlisle Bill & Mary Rhone Kris K8086 Steppin' up
    Enchanting Enchanters BenMoKeith 685 Boss action
    Equasions Pac Sounds PAC5001 World of loneliness
    Harris Jackie & The Champions B & P 7715 Work your flapper part 2
    Hitchikers featuring The Mighty Pope Heart H62442 Mr. Fortune
    Hodges Ricky Palos 1208 Save me part 1
    Houston Outlaws Westbound W179 Uncle Ed's backyard
    J. Willi & Co. Ki Ki - Boogie with your baby (instr.)
    Little Buck Seven B 7031 Little boy blue
    Manzel Fraternity 3422 Midnight theme
    Saunders Merl Suemer-Tone 69 Right on
    Sonics Black Beauty 302 Funky wolf
    Soul Men World Wide WW102 There was a time
    Traffic Jam Toeholt 14708 Traffic jam
    Uptown Syndicate Fat City 101 Just be yourself
    Williams Frank & The Rocketeers Lloyd 0010 Show me what you got

Additional 45s Scans and Full Detail Information (incl. deadwax markings) Wanted (sound-files appreciated as I've not heard some of them and I'm not sure it's worth to add them to the lexicon):

?? Soul Crusaders: Soul cruise/Big nickel ??? Dialee 1002
    ?? Sam Baker: Do right man ??? Saadia 9160
    ?? Sargent Kelly: I like it ??? Ckeilko C7
    ?? King Louie: Broadway up tight ??? Mockingbird 1007
    ?? Nola & The Soul Rockers: Reach down and get it ??? Goldleaf 010
    ?? Reflection Rhythm Section: The puzzle ??? Cotton 102
    ?? Robbie Robinson & The Show Stoppers: Hip slip ??? Mockingbird 1018
    ?? Barbara Stant: Baby I love you ??? Shiptown 202932
    ?? Degree of Freedom: Vegetable Soup ??? DCI 1001
    ?? Reno Expedition: Ain't nothing but a party ??? Tri-It 001
    ?? Roc-Kays Band:Roc-kays afro ??? Nairobi 2501
    ?? Swingmasters: Boogie on down ??? Guess 001
    ?? Vernon Young: Make love tonight ??? Music-Go-Round 1004
    ?? Ebonystic: Ain't it good to you ??? Scream 101
    ?? Nathan Wilkes: Strange feeling ??? Tragar 6817
    ?? Big T & The Peace Makers: Tighten up tighter ??? Nasco 030
    ?? Soul Unlimited: Rise everybody ??? Atomic Power 1001
    ?? Bettye Scott & Del-Vetts: Good feeling ??? Teako 1000
    ?? Gregory Washington: Pamla lamour ??? Brainstorm 169
    ?? LaShawan Collins: Girl choose the boy ??? Sincere 1004
    ?? Daytown Sidewinders: Let's go down to funksville/Slippin into darkness ??? Carlco 105
    ?? Andy Aaron: Right on time ??? CRS 000002 (only Information and soundfile)
    ?? Countdowns: Creative soul ??? Apollo 71669
    ?? Deacon Witherspoon & The Sons of Soul: Mandingo ??? Inner-Soul 1001
    ?? Pride: Come on, get dancing- Disco 206
    ?? Apollos Show Band: Peace still is with us ??? Apollos 1007
    ?? Black Fur: Feel the shock ??? BarTone 76129
    ?? Brass Horizon: We just want to play ??? Minda Mark
    ?? Co-Real Artists: What about you ??? Jordan 1012
    ?? Embracers: Latin blood ??? Spectrum 1
    ?? Miles Grayson: Stuck in the mud ??? Respect 101
    ?? Natural Resources Unpolluted: Funky with my stuff ??? Dore 854
    ?? Standards of Living: Cut up ??? Pacific 58210
    ?? Theodis Ealy: This is my life ??? Chelan 1001
    ?? Gate: Streetman ??? Violetville Musice 41216
    ?? Ramsey & Company: Love call ??? Ramco 001
    ?? Future Shock: Jive cootie ??? Woogie 1

Also other very good funky 45s are welcome as contribution. To make it easy for me to add them to the lexicon, please provide a scan as described in the beginning of the thread as well as all details on both 45s single sides as well as all deadwax-information (signs, letters, numbers). It would very much help if I can listen somewhere how such contribution sound because I only add records which I know about. That's kind of quality insurance not to add rumours. Most information are also double-checked before definitively added to the lexicon.

• Hi Peter, didnt know that you are on this board too. I posted the list from your website because I feel a little bit guilty when it comes to your person and I hoped to help you a little bit.
    I'm the dude from Germany who wanted to interview you last year, but unfortunatly I couldnt make it happen.

I got one question, what kinda criterias do you have for a record to appear in your book ??

Age, genre, musicians, lables ??

Where are the frontiers that you wont break ?? What is with Breakestra or the whole stuff from Soulfire, Desco or Daptone Records. Would those stuff appear in your book ??

Peace
    Hawkeye

• Thanks, help is always very much appreciated as it is an endless task with no end and almost endless time needed. I've not the time to untertain all connections necessary and/or wishable, so all who participate the task of discovering and preserving information about funky music keep the thing going and lively.

According your question. Age is no criteria, musicians and labels are neither. Genre, just more or less - because in many absolutely not funky genre you might spot a track which has an edge to funky grooves. It's very difficult to say where the frontier is. Breakestra, Soulfire and all those you find in the book. I only left a few away which had 'in my option' no 'funky & groovy' touch. Like 'soft soul' tracks, 'very traditional afro' and so on. I also can't imagine to include Techno, New Wave, Heavy Metal or many more styles. But say never no, if a heavy metal group would play a though funky version of "Rock steady" I would probably add it as "Funk Rock". The borders whether this or that record should be listed is shady and that was intend so. In the 2nd issue of the lexicon in 1983 I changed the title first time to "Funky & Groovy Music" and thereby opened it a little. Border-crossing to jazz, afro, blues .... was possible and wished. The whole project was open-minded from the beginning and I didn't want to act as master of fixing borders and definitions. I simply collected information as base for our memory and base for discussion about it. The work on this reference-guide is never finished, so if there is something missing, it doesn't necessarily mean I didn't think it belongs into the book, it can simply be because I didn't know it, had not yet complete and verified/confirmed information about it (which is the reason for many not to appear). And last but not least, a little bit it depends on my personal view, whether I add it or not - but only a little bit ;-)

I hope that helps a little bit about a topic which is very difficult for me to write about in english as I can hardly give a clear answer in my native language.

PS) also a lot had to be left away to keep the weight of the book below 2kg because of the postage costs and custom forms needed.

PPS) Somebody ask be why there is Betty Boo listed and Lewis Connection not. For that special case, the listed Betty Boo is not important but (in my opinion) it's funky and listed since a long time. Lewis Connection I had no good picture and also the information about the LP was not verified, so I couldn't add it. I will add it to a future update. Will Betty Boo be delete in the future? Who knows ;-)

Anyway, happy funky & groovy records hunting ....

Hi Peter, didnt know that you are on this board too. I posted the list from your website because I feel a little bit guilty when it comes to your person and I hoped to help you a little bit.
    I'm the dude from Germany who wanted to interview you last year, but unfortunatly I couldnt make it happen.

I got one question, what kinda criterias do you have for a record to appear in your book ??

Age, genre, musicians, lables ??

Where are the frontiers that you wont break ?? What is with Breakestra or the whole stuff from Soulfire, Desco or Daptone Records. Would those stuff appear in your book ??

Peace
    Hawkeye