"The Beat" Soul DVDs

ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
Anybody picked these DVDs up? They are amazing!!! Barbara Lynn, Little Gary Ferguson, Freddie King, Clarence Henry, Etta James, Earl Gaines, Rodge Martin, Gerri Hall, Robert Parker, Louis Jordan, Willie Mitchell, Venice Starks and many more! The film and sound are excellent. The only complaint I have is there is about 60% live and 40% overdub. I don't get it...some artists would come out and do a live song with band and then turn around and do an overdubed track right afterwards. Why would they do this? Anyways, we are throwing a big soul night here on saturday and I've been taking the best of the best to show at the begining of the night on the big screen. It should look pretty damn cool on stage. I highly recommend all 6 volumes. The Bear Family team put these out.

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Anybody picked these DVDs up? They are amazing!!! Barbara Lynn, Little Gary Ferguson, Freddie King, Clarence Henry, Etta James, Earl Gaines, Rodge Martin, Gerri Hall, Robert Parker, Louis Jordan, Willie Mitchell, Venice Starks and many more! The film and sound are excellent. The only complaint I have is there is about 60% live and 40% overdub. I don't get it...some artists would come out and do a live song with band and then turn around and do an overdubed track right afterwards. Why would they do this? Anyways, we are throwing a big soul night here on saturday and I've been taking the best of the best to show at the begining of the night on the big screen. It should look pretty damn cool on stage. I highly recommend all 6 volumes. The Bear Family team put these out.

I have vol 1 and Vol 6 and fully intend to pick up the rest, but the $28-32 price tag is a bit prohibitive. Plus, a little goes a long way, as each DVD is PACKED with that good shit.

I don't know why some is live and some lip-synced, but it really didn't bother me. Killer stuff. The last episode is almost an ALL-STAX affair hosted by a very sharp-looking Otis Redding. amazing.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Anybody picked these DVDs up? They are amazing!!!

I have a couple. They are simply amazing. That final episode with the Stax/Volt Revue takeover is mindblowing. I show it to everyone who comes over my apartment, and they freak out every time. Garnet Mimms...Mitty Collier...Percy Sledge...Sam & Dave everybody[/b] kills it!

the $28-32 price tag is a bit prohibitive.
    This guy has been HOOKING IT UP for a month or so now.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Anybody picked these DVDs up? They are amazing!!!

I have a couple. They are simply amazing. That final episode with the Stax/Volt Revue takeover is mindblowing. I show it to everyone who comes over my apartment, and they freak out every time. Garnet Mimms...Mitty Collier...Percy Sledge...Sam & Dave everybody[/b] kills it!

Good lookin out on that...that's a bit more like it!

• Anybody picked these DVDs up? They are amazing!!!

Good lookin out on that...that's a bit more like it!
    Damn! Thanks M**k! You can get them from Bear Family for $21.85 plus tax also.

• The only complaint I have is there is about 60% live and 40% overdub. I don't get it...some artists would come out and do a live song with band and then turn around and do an overdubed track right afterwards. Why would they do this?

I don't know why some is live and some lip-synced, but it really didn't bother me.

I grew up watching shows like this in the 70's and 80's, and I never looked at lip-synching as a big issue; that was just the way things were done. Besides, when you're getting a bunch of chitlin'-circuit acts - IN COLOR - who aren't known for their frequent TV appearances, you don't question it, ya just go with the goodness!