Dilla likes donuts

pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
edited November 2005 in Music Talk
Begun simply enough as a production beat tape, "Donuts" evolved into a project as unusual as the environment in which it was created. It's a hip-hop album without MC's. An album of electronic music that at times sounds like a 70s soul mixtape. Its abrupt transitions and numerous interludes might make you think you're rapidly turning the radio dial in some strange city where every station is programmed by a certain Detroit hip-hop producer. "Donuts" is J Dilla doing what he does best ??? crafting hip-hop, soul and electronic music into his own sound. TracklistJ DILLA - DONUTS01. Donuts (Outro) 02. Workinonit 03. Waves 04. Light My Fire 05. The New 06. Stop 07. People 08. The Diff'rence 09. Mash 10. Time: The Donut of the Heart 11. Glazed 12. Airworks 13. Lightworks 14. Stepson of the Clapper 15. The Twister (Huh, What) 16. One Eleven 17. Two Can Win 18. Don't Cry 19. Anti-American Graffiti 20. Geek Down 21. Thunder 22. Gobstopper 23. One for Ghost 24. Dilla Says Go 25. Walkinonit 26. The Factory 27. U-Love 28. Hi. 29. Bye. 30. Last Donut of the Night 31. Donuts (Intro) Looks dope

Comments

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    This is supposedly track 14 from this project...

His handle of melody and fitting it w/in a groove is one of his fortes, especially evident if you've been privy to his beat CDs...

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Might as well release it. His beat tapes are already all over the internet. Some of them are pretty hot. Whats electronic music?

• i really havent dug any of dudes beats for awhile now, hope this is good

happy to see guy doing his thing again but he does not look well, hope things get better for him

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i really havent dug any of dudes beats for awhile now, hope this is good

happy to see guy doing his thing again but he does not look well, hope things get better for him

He should be. That was scary shit. Iwas'nt eating much just making beats all the time sometimes 8 hours straight. Take it easy dilla

• i really havent dug any of dudes beats for awhile now, hope this is good

More importantly, what records are those in the expedit?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

My man does not look well at all. Hope he gets things back on track.

Peep the bottle of Belvedere chillin' in front of the Expedit.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

My man does not look well at all. Hope he gets things back on track.

Peep the bottle of Belvedere chillin' in front of the Expedit.

One string bass

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    An unexpected source told me this record is good...

• Can anyone shed some light on what happened to Jay Dee? He was def. on the rise w/ SV, the Q-Tip album, beats for Janet Jackson..

...followed by endless beattapes. Soul searching? identity crisis?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Can anyone shed some light on what happened to Jay Dee? He was def. on the rise w/ SV, the Q-Tip album, beats for Janet Jackson..

He decides to stay where he is. Check the urb interview with him around the time jaylib came out.he adresses these issues
    He released his stuff on bbe a sign of dare I say "stayin in the underground" dilla's just making beats and not taking any pressure on him especially after those medical complications.

also

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    medical complications

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Can anyone shed some light on what happened to Jay Dee?

The Curse Of Electric Circus..............killed several careers

• medical complications

SP-finger?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Melinda OST in the back! Great music!!! Underrated!!!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    medical complications

Were you really in a coma?
    Nah, man. The rumors were like, Jay Dee is dead and all that, but I was just in the hospital for like two months. I was in ICU, with all types of tubes, man. It was crazy. I was out of it for, like, most of January.

What exactly happened?
    I went overseas for two weeks and was eatin' all this crazy-ass food. As soon as I got back, had the flu or something, and I had to check myself into the hospital. Then they find out I had a ruptured kidney and was malnourished from not eatin' the right kinda food. It was something real simple, but it ended with me being in the hospital.

Damn, that must've cut into your production time.
    Oh, nah. My boy brought a sound system and some vinyl through, so I was in the hospital, making beats.

xxl

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Can anyone shed some light on what happened to Jay Dee? He was def. on the rise w/ SV, the Q-Tip album, beats for Janet Jackson..

URB INTERVIEW

That was in 2001, when Dilla (aka James Yancey) was being hailed for his bass-heavy work with Slum Village and artists like Q-Tip (check the echo-chamber bounce of "Vivrant Thing"), Common (the crisp cymbal 'n' bass hit "The Light") and De La Soul (the psych-tinged boom-bap of "Peer Pressure"). After leaving Slum - from whose MC T3 he'd grown disconnected - Dilla hooked up with MCA and started work on his first solo album. But like so many others in the game, the producer got squeezed out of his deal after 9/11, leaving him nowhere to go but underground.

"This is a game that can literally break you down into tears," says Dilla with a weary shake of the head. 'Everyone knows about all the politics with labels, but I've literally had cats laugh at me on the phone like I was a joke."

It's hard to believe that anybody could find Dilla's work laughable, especially given his track record with The Pharcyde and A Tribe Called Quest, never mind his renown as the architect of neo-soul. As the brains behind D'Angelo's canonical Voodoo and the genre-defining remix of Janet Jackson's "Got Till It's Gone," Dilla could have chosen to focus on his smooth soul sound, but just as Madlib dabbles across genres - from house to jazz to broken beat - so too does Dilla dally in fields afar, an approach most gloriously audible on his 2002 BBE debut, Welcome 2 Detroit. Here, listeners found Dilla at his most eclectic, whether retouching Donald Byrd's soul-jazz gem "Think Twice," indulging his inner techno freak on "B.B.E. (Big Booty Express)" or channeling an ancestral drum circle on "African Rhythms."

Under the acknowledgments in the liner notes for that album, Dilla wrote, "They wanted a thank you list, but if it were up to me I'd give 'em a fuck you list." Given those defiant words and his reputation as a media-shy recluse, I approach the Detroit native with uncertainty, gingerly sidling up to him for our interview. But far from the surly antagonist I feared, Jay Dee proves impossibly gentle, and if I glean one insight from my time with him, it's that the music business is toughest on the pure of heart. In the weeks leading up to his West Coast visit, rumors were swirling that the producer was in ill health. When I meet him, Dilla does not look his best, especially his eyes, which are the very embodiment of hangdog dejection. Where Madlib guards himself by averting his gaze, Dilla's eyes bare all, telling the tale of a man who's just had the hardest year of his life.

The year 2003 started off with the completion of his Ruff Draft EP, a collection of rude street bangers featuring Dilla's gotta-get-paid spitting. Upon his return from a stint of DJ gigs in Europe, the producer fell ill. Figuring he might have fallen prey to pneumonia, he checked himself into a hospital in Detroit

I had never been so sick in all my life," he recalls. "I had never been in the hospital for nothing. What happened was that the doctor told me that I'd ruptured my kidney from being too busy and being stressed out and not eating right. He told me that if I'd waited another day, I might not have made it."[/b]

While the ostensible cause of the beatmaker's illness was malnutrition, Dilla figures the true culprit was music itself, which has been his foremost obsession since his late teenage years. Like just about every crate digger in the business, Jay Dee's an all-music-all-the-time kind of guy, the sort of person who often lets his art override all other concerns in his life - whether it's family, friends or his own health.

"Sometimes that fixation can be a good thing and sometimes it can be bad," he admits. There'd be days when I wouldn't eat at all because I'd be in the basement working all day. Even after being in the hospital so long, I had to fight with the doctors [to go home] because being away from music was starting to get to me."

Dilla isn't the first musician to let his craft overwhelm his health, and he won't be the last. But ever since emerging from the hospital, he's learned that while music might be his passion, he can't let it consume his every thought. This is definitely my second chance, my wakeup call," he says with a knowing nod. "ALL my priorities have shifted. As soon as I got out, I was right over to my mom's house, getting a home-cooked meal and spending time around my family. I still love the music, but I wouldn't put it first in my life. It's family first - and then everything else

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Oh, nah. My boy brought a sound system and some vinyl through, so I was in the hospital, making beats.

• Thanks!

• More importantly, what records are those in the expedit?

Bueller?

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    I have the one on the top right, its an electronic LP, lots of meandering and such. I can't recall the name, or if it even has a name. THe middle one is that Italian prog shit, Perigeo I think .

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    the top one is a Nik Raicevic lp.

the middle one is Pollution II.

dont know the bottom one. those pictures are in Giant Magazine. it's actually sittin right next to my computer. other records pictured in the article are: Tarika Blue, Caston and Majors, some Nektar record, Freda Payne Reachin out, Drugs wont get it people will, Herbie Hancock-dedication, Soul Children, kool and the gang-live at sex machine, the advancement lp, some alice coltrane, sylvia sweet stuff. dam im a nerd

• ouch, that gives me the creeps. i hope he??s on the up and up

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    Might as well release it. His beat tapes are already all over the internet. Some of them are pretty hot. Whats electronic music?

Damn I have only heard the released ish. I have always liked dudes shit...anybody please to post or PM a leaked tape

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I have the one on the top right, its an electronic LP, lots of meandering and such.

Yah, not worth more than a few bux unless synthy weird ish gives you a boner.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    An unexpected source told me this record is good...
    it is

• Yah, not worth more than a few bux unless synthy weird ish gives you a boner.

======= location.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    NERD

• Damn, that was wack! What a crappy loop!

• the top one is a Nik Raicevic lp.

the middle one is Pollution II.

dont know the bottom one. those pictures are in Giant Magazine. it's actually sittin right next to my computer. other records pictured in the article are: Tarika Blue, Caston and Majors, some Nektar record, Freda Payne Reachin out, Drugs wont get it people will, Herbie Hancock-dedication, Soul Children, kool and the gang-live at sex machine, the advancement lp, some alice coltrane, sylvia sweet stuff. dam im a nerd

Damn dude. Thanks for the info..............................................

• Damn, that was wack! What a crappy loop!

Are you serious, newbie????