Making beats on a Mac

LooksLikeSinbadLooksLikeSinbad 187 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
I know this has been discussed before on the strut, but I can't find an answer to a relatively simple question - What is the best / easiest software to use on the mac for manipulating samples, loops, and sampled drum hits?[/b] My MPC is currently on hiatus and I want something on the computer to mimic it. I have tried to make music with garage band but it just feels like manipulating samples with it is very awkward. For example, looping stuff, timestretching, and even pitching samples can be a pain in the ass. Software synths, mutlti-track recording, and effects are not a major necessity. I have a decent sound card and a midi keyboard. So what should I use?

Comments

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Logic is my shit, but if you're coming from an MPC, I wouldn't recommend it. For something more intuitive, maybe you should try Ableton Live. I have a lot of friends who are coming from the drum machine perspective, and they love it to death. I remember a recent thread where there was a lot of hatting on Live, but as far as I can see it's an excellent piece of software. It's just not my bag.

You be the judge:
    http://www.ableton.com/

• Thanks. I have heard good things about Live, I need to try it out. Is Logic good for working with samples or are you doing alot of synth stuff?

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    if your working with samples and you want to do alot of asigning to banks /cels and triggering ala on a drum machine then you want ableton live.

Is Logic good for working with samples or are you doing alot of synth stuff?

I don't use soft synths. I'm mostly a sample dude, but if I need synths, i prefer hardware. I use Logic with an external soft sampler, cause the built-in sample player EXS24 is too rinky-dink for my needs, and I don't like operating directly on audio files in audio tracks, that's much too rigid. I like to MIDIfy my samples, for more flexibility and control, and then record the tracks when the song is all done. I want to try the soft sampler Kontakt from Native Instruments. Does anyone have any experience with that?

• Is Logic good for working with samples or are you doing alot of synth stuff?

Yea! The automation for synths is real ill. They got some nice VSTis too like:

EVP88 (dope rhodes emu), EVB3 (Hammond b3 emu w/ drawbar), EVOC (crazy multiband filters ) and dozens other synths that really have a nice sound if you tweak em right. You can also automate Hardware synths real easy and record via CC using knobs on a Midi controler for dope sweeps etc... afaik you can do this in Cubase, Nuendo, Protools aswell though... I heard extremes from both sides, but I really love the Logic design. To me its the best looking computer sequencer app there is...

I want to try the soft sampler Kontakt from Native Instruments. Does anyone have any experience with that?

Yea. I've used Kontakt, Halion (ewww), EXS and what not with Logic back when I didnt have a MP. I never touched software again after getting my first mp, apart from recording,and preediting samples,etc. So my knowledge is pretty dusty on this Subject. Back when I was using Kontakt it was new on the Market and buggy as hell. From what I see by scanning over some keyboard magazine covers nowadays it looks like it has emerged into the most powerfull Softsampler there is so far (I havnt tried the other candidates. MOTU MACH5 is one of em). Oh yea, do ppl still use gigasampler????)

The dope thing about Kontakt is you have realtime timestreching/pitchshifting, loads of tweaking "modules" you can load into your instrument to fuck around with the sound. So it leaves you 100s of methods to crazy-up your sound by combining/linking/stacking these modules like EQ, Envelopes, etc..

All these parts can be automated with logic.

Back when I was fucking around with Kontakt they just included multi-midi and multi-outs making it possible to have like 16(if my memory aint playing tricks on me they lateron changed this to as many audio outputs as your cpu would allow) different channels you can automate and also mixing your samples with dedicated channels...

I would love to go back to Logic but a g5 is just too expensive for me now. I wouldnt jump on it blind without testing it before (you can DL a "try before buy version" . Or just ask for Logic at your local GC) since things like the environment window and the configuration can really freak ppl out. I heard 100s of ppl saying shit was too complicated and used to bug em making music. To me, if you set it up once and save a preset project file (autoload)with all your settings and channels etc it is the most flexible and easiest App of em all.

I used to work at a place running Logic with TDM hardware, which is .It's been a while and my knowledge is a bit rusted but the basics always stay the same. So, any specific questions??

peace

Daily

• iam working with logic, reason and some external midi synth & a korg octapad. works smoothly all together through the rewire protocol.

never worked with kontakt, but sounds like i should try.

• never worked with kontakt, but sounds like i should try.

If you're into breakbeatish production you really should. you can do some insane stuff with Kontakt...as I said

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Whatup Jay?

• Kontakt or Battery.
    As a sampler player battery is so fucking easy and dope to use... very much like an MPC player.

• Yo Bapt homie!
    PM me your AOL id again or whatever it was you prefered to MSN.
    Cuz I never catch you there....

Never really liked battery, but its pretty sollid!

• to go off subject a little ...

is there any way to slave soft synths to external hardware like an ASR-10? It sounds stupid but I just want to use reason as a synth, I wanna do everything else on the ASR and then track it to pro-tools later.

yeah I'll do drums on a MP someday.. hate learning new machines

please don't respond making fun of the ASR

please don't respond making fun of the ASR

Never that, son. The ASR is a great machine. I used to have one too.

• Thanks for the knowledge my peeples.

• is there any way to slave soft synths to external hardware like an ASR-10? It sounds stupid but I just want to use reason as a synth, I wanna do everything else on the ASR and then track it to pro-tools later.

dont know if i got you right, but i'll do kinda stuff in combination of reason and logic. you can "connect" reasons sound out (every single channel, so you can route several softsynths) via the rewire protocol to logic or other software that uses the rewire protocol.
    my analogue synth is connected via midi and sound (midi in/out to logic, sound in to logic), so i'll afterwards record the analogue synth sound in logic and merge it with the sound of reasons softsynths... thats it.

• I use Reason a lot in Pro Tools via Rewire. In the same session I may run outboard machines via midi as well.

Ableton Live is great but it's pretty far removed from traditional hip-hop beat making, as if it matters, so I prefer Reason. I use both at times.

• girgir 329 Posts
    to go off subject a little ...

is there any way to slave soft synths to external hardware like an ASR-10? It sounds stupid but I just want to use reason as a synth, I wanna do everything else on the ASR and then track it to pro-tools later.

midi?

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts
    to go off subject a little ...

midi?

this is just some basic midi shit...maybe will get you started.

Rewire can slave all your ouputs to one master - like Logic, Digital Performer, etc - you can also do this w/ tools like Soundflower - point all your audio outputs (buses) to logic or whatever you use, and then hook up an external midi controller using a midi interface, or use a USB controller, or whatever you can get you hands on to give you values...a USB keyboard controller, anything.

Map that controller to your synth. You need to tell your instrument to receive midi input, then assign it to channel that cooresponds to your device.

Bottom line is you need a midi interface to connect your device to Reason or whatever you use. The interface translates your device's controller data to your computer, which can map the data to whatever you want.

• The ASR is what I do everything on. I am tryin to diversify using Reason and Recycle. Not good at it yet though. Anybody know how to convert wavs and mp3's into aiff or rec files?

You can do it in different programs, but I like to use Bias Peak for all that format conversion/DSP stuff. I even used it to convert Mac OS system sounds to .aif, cause I had a little piece of freeware called kinkybeepl which was a simple softsynth for making weird system alert sounds. I could make some cool things with it. The problem was that it could only export the sound in the Mac alert sounds format. Peak was the only software I could convert it with.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    The Bapt is...

Making beats on a Mac

... since 1992.

• The ASR is what I do everything on. I am tryin to diversify using Reason and Recycle. Not good at it yet though. Anybody know how to convert wavs and mp3's into aiff or rec files?

there was an small (230kb) and easy to use drag&drop mp3 to aiff converter called "macast mp3 converter" for osx. has been removed from all download pages, but if you like to have it, just pm me.

peace,

dk essence

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    Taza, in reference to using LIVE and REASON:
    I use both at times.
    Why? Aren't the functions redundant? I used Reason but don't know why I should use live...

The ASR is what I do everything on. I am tryin to diversify using Reason and Recycle. Not good at it yet though. Anybody know how to convert wavs and mp3's into aiff or rec files?

Damn, I forgot the obvious. You can use good ol' Itunes, of course! Drag the .mp3 or .wav into the library. From the menu bar, go to Itunes->Preferences->Advanced->Importing and select "import using AIFF decoder". Highlight the file in the library list and select Advanced->Convert selection to AIFF in the menu bar. The converted file will be in your specified music folder. If you want it somewhere else than with all your mp3s, you should change the folder in your preferences before converting, just change it back again afterwards. You can do conversions back and forth from different formats, you just have to select the decoder you want to use in your preferences first. Again, remember to change it back to the mp3 decoder afterwards.

• Taza, in reference to using LIVE and REASON:
    I use both at times.
    Why? Aren't the functions redundant? I used Reason but don't know why I should use live...

Sometimes I use Live as the Rewire host. I also use live to pitch shift and time stretch samples. I rarely use them both at the same time, but I do, just sayin'.