78s and needles

bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
so i don't own any 78s, but mainly cause i don't really know what's what. once i get a feel for some of that golden blues, jazz, and r & b, i'll see what i can uncover. but my question is, for those of you who listen to 78s, do have a separate needle to listen to them? the old record player that i managed to get here in india, and a few of the record players i've seen that were made during the 78-lp transition, have a different needle to play lps/45s or 78s. so do y'all listen on a different player or what? just curious.

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I used to have a TT that played 78 & it had a double sided needle. Never had 78's to play, but perhaps this was why...

I guess the sound of a record spinning so fast is to die for though...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    On a different player.

• yes, most all 78s require a special needle because the grooves are cut differently. you don't need anything fancy unless you plan on picking up elvis and robert johnson though. those old school-issue turnables you used to be able to find everywhere have the dual needle deals and they work fine. you can hook'em up to real speakers if you need a bigger sound. lemme know if you find some of them beatles 78s over there in india. i think they made'em into the late 60's!

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    yes, most all 78s require a special needle because the grooves are cut differently. you don't need anything fancy unless you plan on picking up elvis and robert johnson though. those old school-issue turnables you used to be able to find everywhere have the dual needle deals and they work fine. you can hook'em up to real speakers if you need a bigger sound. lemme know if you find some of them beatles 78s over there in india. i think they made'em into the late 60's!

yeah, i heard about those beatles 78s. i think india is the only country to press beatles on 78. apparently they're worth thousands.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    They used to be, but India isn't the only country. India, Pakistan, Nepal and maybe Burma (now Myanmar).

78s look cool (I had some blues and James Brown shiz), but who has the time to get the needle and all that? Maybe when I'm older and drinking more wine/eating cheese and talking about stocks to acquaintances.
    Peace
    T.N.