Modulations: It’s Rough Out Here - Appreciate

JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts
edited November 2005 in Music Talk
Listening to this after a long time right now. It's got to be one of the best mid 70's soul records ever made IMO. So many fantastic tunes, with a consistent flow on the whole LP as well. Everything from the multi-layered cover art is just so on point. Despite the sweetness, it's got this weird rough edge to it too, or maybe I'm just imagining it because of this one guys smudged white shoes on the cover + that they are sitting on a staircase! Did this group record anything before this?

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Listening to this after a long time right now. It's got to be one of the best mid 70's soul records ever made IMO. So many fantastic tunes, with a consistent flow on the whole LP as well. Everything from the multi-layered cover art is just so on point. Despite the sweetness, it's got this weird rough edge to it too, or maybe I'm just imagining it because of this one guys smudged white shoes on the cover + that they are sitting on a staircase! Did this group record anything before this?

Great over looked record. Sounds lots like Mayfield and the Impressions. I know nothing about them accept this lp.

Dan

• Options
    There's 45's, no? I swear I've seen/had them before.

Agree with you wholeheartedly - wicked LP...and a huge playout record within the Jamaican community here (50 and older guys).

K in Canada.

• Yes there is a 45 of "I'm hopelessly in love with you" from the LP. They recorded a gospel album later on too, but I was wondering about stuff that came before this album.

• such an incredible record.
    the title track is a classic.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Believe it or not, this had an argentinian release too. Title was translated to "Bruto, fuera de aqui" which is something like "Gross, get out of here"

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Yes there is a 45 of "I'm hopelessly in love with you" from the LP. They recorded a gospel album later on too, but I was wondering about stuff that came before this album.

I can't find the source from which I got this info, but the gospel Modulations and the one that released "It's Rough Out Here" are two different groups altogether. As a sidenote, Keith Barrow (who recorded the modern soul/stepper's (!) classic "You Know You Want to Be Loved", among other tracks), was a member of the gospel Modulations.

SG

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Yeah, different groups altogether. The secular one is better.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    i need that album bad

another mid 70's buddah soul album thats highly slept-on.

• Yes there is a 45 of "I'm hopelessly in love with you" from the LP. They recorded a gospel album later on too, but I was wondering about stuff that came before this album.

I can't find the source from which I got this info, but the gospel Modulations and the one that released "It's Rough Out Here" are two different groups altogether. As a sidenote, Keith Barrow (who recorded the modern soul/stepper's (!) classic "You Know You Want to Be Loved", among other tracks), was a member of the gospel Modulations.

SG

Keith Barrow also has a solo gospel album that I got recently. There's one standout song on it (don't have it in front of me to check the title). I actually have to track down some of his secular output now.

• i need that album bad

So, what's Walter Heath's story? For some reason I'm assuming he's in the folk-soul bag ala Bill Withers, Jae Mason, etc..

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

imo:

the only cut im diggin on this is the title track, Its Rough Out Here, really really dope!!
    the 2nd track has the Keep On Trucking bass line....close anyway
    3rd and 4th track is softy soul
    side B, continues with the soft sweetish soulsound on all tracks, not really my cup...
    the last track is a slow very laidback instrumental that has some groove...

• 'worth your weight in gold' was a 45 too. theres a reggae cover of it by delroy wilson that's on a 12 and album (same title) that is awesome.

m j cole covered 'rough out here' a few years back.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    i need that album bad

So, what's Walter Heath's story? For some reason I'm assuming he's in the folk-soul bag ala Bill Withers, Jae Mason, etc..

Huge co-sign on the greatness of this LP. A record that you can pick up for loose change, and comparable to the Lou Courtenay 'In need of love' LP, IMO.

i need that album bad

imo:

im not really hearing any stand out cuts (like rough out here) on this...
    vocal soul/funk, pretty cool nothing crazy though.
    3rd track is kinda dope, dedicated to his daughter i think
    side b's 2nd cut has some cool mellow parts and im hearing acouple of open snares and a bassline that sounds like hotpants road on the last track, thats about it.

• i need that album bad

imo:

side b's 2nd cut has some cool mellow parts and im hearing acouple of open snares and a bassline that sounds like hotpants road on the last track, thats about it.

Maybe you should try to shake some of that hiphop perspective off, when approaching soul records like the ones appreciated above. Or maybe you just don't like that sweet, sweet soul music. I can tell you that it has nothing to do with open snares or JB basslines etc... not dissing at all because I used to think the same way years ago, but fortunately got over it.

i need that album bad

imo:

Maybe you should try to shake some of that hiphop perspective off, when approaching soul records like the ones appreciated above. Or maybe you just don't like that sweet, sweet soul music. I can tell you that it has nothing to do with open snares or JB basslines etc... not dissing at all because I used to think the same way years ago, but fortunately got over it.

im just saying the way i feel and a dope song has nothing to do with breakbeats, i dont really listen to hiphop but i might listen to music partly from that perspective, i love soul music, for me some soul cuts through stone and some doesnt...

• Before Buddah, the Modulations of Durham, North Carolina cut an excellent 45 for the Mozel imprint. The following might be their complete 45 discography (am I missing anything?):

"Who's Going To Lose/ Share Your Love" (Mozel 101)
    "I'm Hopelessly In Love/ What Good Am I" (Buddah 398) 1973
    "I Can't Fight Your Love/ Your Love Has Me Locked Up" (Buddah 418) 1974
    "Worth Your Weight In Gold/ I'll Always Love You" (Buddah 497) 1975

(I cut and pasted this from my Carolina Soul website.)

• i need that album bad

imo:

Maybe you should try to shake some of that hiphop perspective off, when approaching soul records like the ones appreciated above. I can tell you that it has nothing to do with open snares or JB basslines etc...

I started to say - Upskiboo's quotes about the "kinda dope cool mellow parts" and "open snares" sounds like a description from the Dusty Grooves site.

i need that album bad

imo:

Maybe you should try to shake some of that hiphop perspective off, when approaching soul records like the ones appreciated above. I can tell you that it has nothing to do with open snares or JB basslines etc...

I started to say - Upskiboo's quotes about the "kinda dope cool mellow parts" and "open snares" sounds like a description from the Dusty Grooves site.

limited vocab

i'll try finding some new words next time (although it will be difficult)...any suggestions?

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    i need that album bad

Huge co-sign on the greatness of this LP. A record that you can pick up for loose change, and comparable to the Lou Courtenay 'In need of love' LP, IMO.
    yup. i love it. never gets mentioned either. stop sleepin!

i need that album bad

imo:

limited vocab

i'll try finding some new words next time (although it will be difficult)...any suggestions?

.......no?
    should have payed more attention in school i quess...

little boo: teacher whats another word for dope???
    teacher: (looking suspicious) why do you want to know that little boo?
    little boo: well im on this internet board and im getting dissed by pikwick...
    teacher: drugs
    little boo: THANK YOU!