Bookstrut

pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
My friend was doing a sociology paper on music/corporatism and he showed me some books he researched pretty funny to see hiphop academiaMaking beats The art of sample-based hiphop looks like a dope book stunned to see a picture of Odub in thereBut this book i saw in this version and laughed Eithne Quinn is a gangsta name

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Josh Kun: Audiotopia

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

This book is a terd

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I've been hearing good things about this. Any one confirm/deny?

I've been hearing good things about this. Any one confirm/deny?

Let me know when you get a confirmation/denial... I've been thinking about checking that out.

I just read this and it was fairly informative, although Ronin Ro is a hack and I suspect that he just sort of makes up a lot of his material:

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    What's the ratio of bad hip-hop books to good? 50-1?

What's the ratio of bad hip-hop books to good? 50-1?

Something like that

• What's the ratio of bad hip-hop books to good? 50-1?

Something like that

By far the best book on hip hop I have read... he used to write for The Source back when it was still somewhat relevant (in a meaningful sense).

• The first half of Queens Reigns Supreme is like a long-ass hyperlink to 1990s NY rap lyrics...you gain some insight into the rise/personalities of Kenneth McGriff/Supreme Team, Fat Cat, Pappy Mason and other names one might recognize from listening to Illmatic. Shit gets grimy. It's not artfully written--and the rigidly reported stream of names/dates can be tiresome--but as raw data it's really hard to put down. After all, it's not like the Sauce or XXL commission this kind of investigative journalism.

The second half is more analytical and poses Jay, Nas, Pac, etc as little dudes whose careers are predicated on modeling themselves after the big drug lord dudes--it gets a bit more into authenticity, though the word is never used. (Predictably, 50 comes off pretty hard.) (Coincidentally, 50's book is actually pretty good.) While I don't really care one way or another whether, say, Pac did 100% of the things he rapped about, I think Brown sort of underplays the hustling pasts of a lot of rap dudes. For example: Hov probably isn't still spending money from '88, but I'm guessing he wasn't just some little voyeur (Brown's argument) either. Plus, there's way too much Jimmy Hentchman.

• i'm readin' this bad mamma jamma

peace, stein. . .

• It's anti-copyrighted, so read it online here:

http://www.hermetic.com/bey/taz_cont.html

• That's the shit son. Drop a terd in Citi Bank? I'm down.

• I just read this and it was fairly informative, although Ronin Ro is a hack and I suspect that he just sort of makes up a lot of his material:

Really? Did you read the Suge Night book? I wonder if a lot of that is made up. BTW. a friend of mine used to baby sit for one of the cops busted in the Rampart Squad. In prison for robbing a bank. "Tell him to admit it." "We know he killed Biggie" Messing with the kids like that. LOL that's messed up. id whoop his ass.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    right now, i'm reading a book called "welcome to the land of cannibalistic horses" by AP Smith. my girlfriend's band played at his book signing, and i think i stole the book somewhere in my intoxicated haze. the book is really interesting, and explores several topics that would make 5pages here on soulstrut. check it out. http://www.pubertypress.com

also, is the spelling of TURD entered "TERD" as a joke, like other soulstrut slang? for some reason this is the only one that irks me. TURD

also, is the spelling of TURD entered "TERD" as a joke, like other soulstrut slang?

yes

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    word up.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    whoops... didn't read hsu's post. i give it a "what he said"

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    My friend was doing a sociology paper on music/corporatism and he showed me some books he researched pretty funny to see hiphop academia

Making beats The art of sample-based hiphop looks like a dope book stunned to see a picture of Odub in there

But this book
    i saw in this version

and laughed Eithne Quinn is a gangsta name

I saw that book, Naking Beats. I don't think it has any pics of O-DUB. And the book is kind of over analizing the production of Hiphop producers. I mean it was written by a college professor if I remember correctly.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    My friend was doing a sociology paper on music/corporatism and he showed me some books he researched pretty funny to see hiphop academia

Making beats The art of sample-based hiphop looks like a dope book stunned to see a picture of Odub in there

I saw that book, Naking Beats. I don't think it has any pics of O-DUB. And the book is kind of over analizing the production of Hiphop producers. I mean it was written by a college professor if I remember correctly.

Yeah it is a professor. Its an overanalysis in the sense that it focuses solely on sampling based production however there are great cats that are interviewed.

There is a pic of Odub (along with steinski and others at the very en of the book. Sure O.W**g can confirm

• I'm reading this, not because of the Oprah's Book Club endorsement sash, but because I've always wanted to read it and the translation is top notch.

I guess I'm going through a heavy book phase because these are last two books I read:

• About 1/2 way through this. A classic about Telepathy/Mind Sciences. Forward by Ingo Swann from SRI.

Also saw this guy speak at a community college the other night. Good family fun...

Peace,
    Cortez

• about an armed robber who escaped over the front wall of a melbourne jail and started a new life, and new string of more socially acceptable crimes in india.

Sounds trite- but it has alot of really interesting philosophical points. Not just in terms of the criminal/victim - crime/punishement dynamics, but alot of interesting human elements from the indians in the book.