the term "modern soul" !?

spcspc 534 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
Listing to the graveship daviz (which is mad mad dope) from the album thread and the Trumains track in the song thread, it makes me wonder, what is "modern soul"?

I didn't know the term before and when reading it I thought some 90s RnB was meant. But it seems it is what was known to me as "80s funk", which is really big in my city.

So to get it straight: are Bands like Cameo, Lakeside, Gap Band, Starpoint, Dazz Band, Breakwater, Kleeer, ... regarded as "modern soul" ?

Comments

• spcspc 534 Posts
    anybody?

• Listing to the graveship daviz (which is mad mad dope) from the album thread and the Trumains track in the song thread, it makes me wonder, what is "modern soul"?

I didn't know the tream before and when reading it I thought some 90s RnB was meant. But it seems it is what was known to me as "80s funk", which is really big in my city.

So to get it straight: are Bands like Cameo, Lakeside, Gap Band, Starpoint, Dazz Band, Breakwater, Kleeer, ... regarded as "modern soul" ?

It's referred to as '80's Funk' down here..those artists you mentioned.
    Funny thing is that the Greek/Italian community grew up playing this stuff to me when I was at school & if you said Funk to them, it'd mean those artists, not the 45funk styles with drum breaks, etc...

Is Kashif 'Modern Soul'...
    Yes please, someone. I'm hella curious.

• spcspc 534 Posts
    Listing to the graveship daviz (which is mad mad dope) from the album thread and the Trumains track in the song thread, it makes me wonder, what is "modern soul"?

I didn't know the tream before and when reading it I thought some 90s RnB was meant. But it seems it is what was known to me as "80s funk", which is really big in my city.

It's referred to as '80's Funk' down here..those artists you mentioned.
    Funny thing is that the Greek/Italian community grew up playing this stuff to me when I was at school & if you said Funk to them, it'd mean those artists, not the 45funk styles with drum breaks, etc...

Is Kashif 'Modern Soul'...
    Yes please, someone. I'm hella curious.

Kashif is definitely "80s funk" to me, so if

"80s funk" == "modern soul"

-> Kashif == "modern soul"

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Dude, before you ask question that you should probably assume has been asked many times before, avail yourself of the 'search' option. I can think of at least a handful of threads that have discussed this exhaustively.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Dude, before you ask question that you should probably assume has been asked many times before, avail yourself of the 'search' option. I can think of at least a handful of threads that have discussed this exhaustively.

Lets not start hammering on newbies to use the search function. This site would be nothing if we didnt talk about the same things over and over again.

Plus, i hate that kind of shit.

modern soul sounds like a british term. Probably used to big up some dj's who "discovered" some 80's r&b tunes and played them at a "pub"

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

modern soul sounds like a british term. Probably used to big up some dj's who "discovered" some 80's r&b tunes and played them at a "pub"

Nah, I think this genere is all about the covers. If there's a man in a Miami Vice outfit, then is modern soul

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    "Modern Soul" like all genre titles that sound silly to us Americans, was in fact created by the British.

God bless them though, silly genre classifications or not, they've had great taste in obscure black Amercian music for decades.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    God bless them though, silly genre classifications or not, they've had great taste in obscure black Amercian music for decades.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

God bless them though, silly genre classifications or not, they've had great taste in obscure black Amercian music for decades we've been selling awful records to them for years

• spcspc 534 Posts

Lets not start hammering on newbies to use the search function. This site would be nothing if we didnt talk about the same things over and over again.

I've been here since 2002 or something, had a mix on the frontside (the "soulchaser" mix in'03), have donated, got raj's mix cds andwear my soulstrut shirt from time to time, so I'm not a newbie. I think I had one or two accounts before, but lost the email/password.
    I've been looking for a search function, but couldn't find it before and just found it below the forum list. It would perhaps be a good idea to move it above the forum list, there might be others wanting to search for something.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

God bless them though, silly genre classifications or not, they've had great taste in obscure black Amercian music for decades we've been selling awful records to them for years

now that would mostly apply to French 'modern soul'.

• Options
    I wish you fucks would quit limiting the definition to just the 80's. The sound and (who developed it) is actually based on later 70's 45's such as this slice of gold

Jinx, tag in

K in Canada.

• modern soul

modern soul

modern soul

modern soul

modern soul

Most of that 80's funk and soul is called BOOGIE.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    "Modern Soul" like all genre titles that sound silly to us Americans, was in fact created by the British.

It is my understanding (which, coming from a US fan of the "genre", may be completely wrong) that the term "Modern Soul" was originally coined in the UK's Northern Soul scene as a way of differentiating between non-disco soul cuts from the mid to late 70's and the more standard 60's soul fare...the common thread being that all these tracks were underappreciated upon inital release in the US, yet found a cult following and critical reappraisal in the UK's Northern Clubs.

Eventually, tracks from the early 80's would also end up being called Modern Soul, although I personally consider the dancier cuts from this era "boogie."

SG

• spcspc 534 Posts
    Hm, I thought "boogie" was only used by the house music guys...

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

Don't know about that, though I suppose it makes sense.

70's Disco --> 80's Boogie --> 90's House

Leroy Burgess, formerly of Black Ivory, is considered a godfather of boogie (the Logg album is a classic example of "boogie" IMO) and is also somewhat popular among house producers (Cassius and Slippery People have both featured Burgess as a guest vocalist a number of years ago).

SG

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

It is my understanding (which, coming from a US fan of the "genre", may be completely wrong) that the term "Modern Soul" was originally coined in the UK's Northern Soul scene as a way of differentiating between non-disco soul cuts from the mid to late 70's and the more standard 60's soul fare...the common thread being that all these tracks were underappreciated upon inital release in the US, yet found a cult following and critical reappraisal in the UK's Northern Clubs.

Eventually, tracks from the early 80's would also end up being called Modern Soul, although I personally consider the dancier cuts from this era "boogie."

SG

That's the way it went down pretty much in the UK, as described to me by an overseas friend who is a veteran of this northern soul vs. modern soul split scene stuff. These terms were all local and all go back to the DJs, the clubs playing it and the dancers that danced to it in the UK. Here in the US those sounds always pretty much fell into any of the r&b/soul/disco/dance categories.

With the internet especially, you get people reading up on these records years later after their releases, and depending on who's websites they are reading, they get all caught up in these genre titles which were all extremely localized until the www. Then you get confused kids who are trying to figure it all out, and try to make some sense out of all of this. It's so much easier for a lot of these newbies to follow categories and genre titles, instead of just listening to records and deciding if they like them or not.

In the end, titles like boogie or modern really just boil down to the person listening to it, and their background in this music. Or the seller trying to e-bay the shit and the market$ they are trying to profit off of.

Heck, I still describe much of that boogie stuff as "Garage", which is another perfect example of localized scenester slang. You talk to the real people that actually bought this stuff in NYC when it came out, and danced to it at places like The Paradise Garage or Better Days, they are gonna look at you like you are an idiot when you throw these terms around.

• Options
    How old are you, 14? Boogie is not used by solely house guys.

K.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

Ohh lawd.. Here we go again...

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

K.

Hahaha, I need to become friends with you.

No ayo.

Record talk strictly.

Now if we want to show people how retarded things get, that can also fall into Loft Classic category, no?

This is all so silly, which is the point of my post...

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    Another way to tell the difference between modern soul boogie disco dance r&b northern funk records

• spcspc 534 Posts

I'm 28 and I've known what some call "modern soul", "boogie", "garage","disco" ... as 80s funk my whole life. It's just what I experienced.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

I'm 28 and I've known what some call "modern soul", "boogie", "garage","disco" ... as 80s funk my whole life. It's just what I experienced.

What did you call it in the 80s?

80s funk?

Are you lying about your age?

• Options
    You don't live in North America???

K.

• "Modern Soul" like all genre titles that sound silly to us Americans, was in fact created by the British.

SG

That's the way it went down pretty much in the UK, as described to me by an overseas friend who is a veteran of this northern soul vs. modern soul split scene stuff. These terms were all local and all go back to the DJs, the clubs playing it and the dancers that danced to it in the UK. Here in the US those sounds always pretty much fell into any of the r&b/soul/disco/dance categories.

With the internet especially, you get people reading up on these records years later after their releases, and depending on who's websites they are reading, they get all caught up in these genre titles which were all extremely localized until the www. Then you get confused kids who are trying to figure it all out, and try to make some sense out of all of this. It's so much easier for a lot of these newbies to follow categories and genre titles, instead of just listening to records and deciding if they like them or not.

In the end, titles like boogie or modern really just boil down to the person listening to it, and their background in this music. Or the seller trying to e-bay the shit and the market$ they are trying to profit off of.

Heck, I still describe much of that boogie stuff as "Garage", which is another perfect example of localized scenester slang. You talk to the real people that actually bought this stuff in NYC when it came out, and danced to it at places like The Paradise Garage or Better Days, they are gonna look at you like you are an idiot when you throw these terms around.

I don't think genres are so bad. It's just language, you know. Some people know what you are talking about and some couldn't give a shit anyway. It's just easier when you see a friend holding a record, you can ask: "What's it like?" and he'll say "It's a country record", instead of "It's got this old guy playing guitar and singing about drinking and picking up chicks. They play like - Dum-da-da-dum-dum da-da-da-da-da. Yeaah!"

And, if country is your cup of tea, then you can go in the specifics by asking: "Great, is it like an old guy playing guitar and singing about drinking and picking up chicks?" And, he'll be like: "Yeah man, it's all about that." And you'll be like: "Lemme holler at that!"

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Another way to tell the difference between modern soul boogie disco dance r&b northern funk records

Solid![/b]

• spcspc 534 Posts

80s funk?

Are you lying about your age?

In the 80s I didn't call it anything, it wasn't present in my mindset, I was too young I think. I got to know it in the early 90s when I started going to hip hop jams in Germany and everybody called it 80s funk.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    God bless them though, silly genre classifications or not, they've been schooling Americans on Amercian music for decades.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

• Options

K.

Hahaha, I need to become friends with you.

No ayo.

Record talk strictly.

Now if we want to show people how retarded things get, that can also fall into Loft Classic category, no?

This is all so silly, which is the point of my post...

No problem.

K.