"Country" DJ gig...help... (in over my head R)

GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
I'm a confused cowboy...Doing it for a co-worker...I really have no idea about country...good news is that they like soul and blues as well. Mostly doing background with a bit of middle age dancing at the end. I have no idea. help...please...

Comments

• Oh, your poor thing. You're a brave man. Just make sure you have some Johnny Cash.
    And double copies of that Kenny Rogers record, 'You Turn the Light On'.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I'd just cut up that Kenny Rogers break for 3 hours.

• Do you know or like country?

How much time to prepare?

I'd be skeptical about playing soul. I'd say you should try to get some country joints, and quick. CD's would probably be your best bet. Get some classic shit, and country standards... maybe mix in some more shit you enjoy if you feel like making it interesting for you and them.

Gotta give the people what they want... and that probably means Boot Scoot Boogie, and I Got Friends In Low Places.

Good Luck,
    FNM

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    Do you know or like country?
    No
    How much time to prepare?
    Thursday

Gotta give the people what they want... and that probably means Boot Scoot Boogie, and I Got Friends In Low Places.

I got Serato so I can make something happen...I think I will cut up said song...any more recs?

gNAt

• Merle Haggard, Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn, Tammy Wynette, Johnny Cash, Hank Williams... lots of good classic shit.

For newer shit, they'd probably dig Bonnie Rait, and thats kinda bluesy country... Maybe Allison Kraus to pull the ladies...

Lots of corny ass new stuff that I don't know, and that you would probably hate... you should try to get some of that.

• don't forget waylon jennings & willie nelson

• Merle Haggard, Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn, Tammy Wynette, Johnny Cash, Hank Williams... lots of good classic shit.

For newer shit, they'd probably dig Bonnie Rait, and thats kinda bluesy country... Maybe Allison Kraus to pull the ladies...

Lots of corny ass new stuff that I don't know, and that you would probably hate... you should try to get some of that.

also get some big & rich. I hear them suburban cowboys like that shit. same with hthat cowboy troy bullshit "now that kind of rap music I can listen too" -- I hate people that say shit like that. heh.

get some roy rogers, sons of the pioneers and some jerry jeff walker.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    I'm a confused cowboy...Doing it for a co-worker...I really have no idea about country...good news is that they like soul and blues as well. Mostly doing background with a bit of middle age dancing at the end. I have no idea. help...please...

You probably need to figure out whether or not the crowd is of the current Nashville pop w/ a pedal steel variety of 'country' or aficionados of the more classic vein - Loretta Lynn, Faron Young, Hank Williams, etc. Playing either for the other audience is - and/or would leave your DJ rep in tatters... Affiliates of the latter also could include the outlaw country associated w/ Austin, bluegrass, Texas Swing, and the likes of Willie Nelson as well as material by Gram Parsons, Emmylou Harris, etc.

• George Jones is that dude...cop that.