Music Taste How Its Changed

DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
With the recent posts on here discussing everything from 50 Cent to Mash-ups - it got me thinking how "OUR" musical tastes have changed. For most of us, we have a foundation of music we like and always seek, but we venture out, discover some new shit and our taste changes over time... How has your taste/style changed when it comes to music...??? It may be too long of a post to write down everything you got into but let keep at your top 5...1. Elementary school was all about Michael Jackson (Off the Wall and Thriller was my shit). There wasn't better music to dance to. But then I heard Run-DMC and Michael never sounded the same. 2. Junior High came around and the Bobby Brown, Al B Sure, Guy, Heavy D aka New Jack Swing was what I was gettin at... (Circa 1991) 3. High School was on some super-underground hiphop steez and reppin East Coast hip hop really hard (on some f*ck west coast shit???) Around 1992-95.4 College is when I discovered breaks (before it was just the music my parents listened to - literally).5. Now, I'm all fucked up. Its all the ones I mentioned above plus I like more pop/mainstream music lately (why??? I have no idea) and have gotten more into downtempo and mellow/jazzy hiphop...There were more but those were the styles that really stood out...

Comments

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    I started out influenced by my sister in the grunge era.

Pearl Jam/Nirvana/Green Day/Rage against the Machine

I got into real hiphop with the 100th issue of the source. Back when hiphop was fighting for a spot on TV. EPMD, the Primo/Pete Rock/Large Pro obsession phases. I was even a slight "militant" with letters to music stations and whatnot. Then bling came and i got into more underground stuff as heroes of the past were starting to appeal to the mainstream.
    Ive been loving the evolution of hiphop eversince (madlib,waly oyedidje, jneiro jarel) but getting into a lot more jazz and funk as i started DJing.
    My friend introduced me to salsa and my digging excursions in Peru opened my horizon.

I am now activaly seeking brazilian, afro beat grooves and basically anything good.

On another point, whats funny is also the hating evolution. The same kids that we're hating on me for listening to rockers "just screaming". Were the guyslistenenig to offspring 2 years later and hating on rappers for talking and the same beat. They are probably dancing to some reggaeton as we speak

Good thread

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Well in the 80's it was Electro for me and shit like The Jets, Michael Jackson etc.. Mid to late 80's it was Rakim, Juice Crew, BDP, MC Lyte, De La, NWA, Too Short, 2 Live Crew, 90's Alternative Rock Tribe, Mobb Deep, Digable Planets, Pete And CL, Diamond, Breaks... 21st century I've become more selective with vocals so now I don't want buulshit lyrics or beats. I listen to a lot of Hiphop instrumentals too. But I also still into a lot of other shit too.