Record Pressing Quality

PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
I've noticed that a lot of new vinyl releases have flaws in the pressings. Some lables more than others but damn what's going on? I've bought new records and some of them have torn off center lables, lumps or foreign objects stuck in the vinyl. Some have dents in the vinyl or are pretty scuffed up. I've even bought new records that still had the excess vinyl around the edge cause the plant forgot to trim it off. So shit man you never know sometimes....

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    dildo

• every LP i ordered from whatmusic was fucked up. i love em. but they were all fucked up. Basically warped for at least the first track.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    I've had consistant problems with a few labels so I get nervous when they put something out that I want to buy. Ain't nothing worse than a flaw like warpage. I guess it's jut sthe cheap plants they use, who knows.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I'm sketchy about new vinyl that isn't 180 gram - for said reasons, especially warpage.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    its really hard to get good pressed wax these days it seems...

my buddy had to get 4 seperate test presses of a 12" he was doin... each was fucked in a new and differant way... then he goes to another plant... same deal.. goes through 2 test pressings and the final record STILL came back with issues.

i havent seen alot of warpage but i have seen alot of mastering / plating issues

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I don't get it when people complain about minor deffects in their reissues.

• HA HA! Annie[/b].

• I've noticed that a lot of new vinyl releases have flaws in the pressings. Some lables more than others but damn what's going on? I've bought new records and some of them have torn off center lables, lumps or foreign objects stuck in the vinyl. Some have dents in the vinyl or are pretty scuffed up. I've even bought new records that still had the excess vinyl around the edge cause the plant forgot to trim it off. So shit man you never know sometimes....

To be honest, some record pressing plants have been cutting corners since the late 1970's, and they probably thing "eh, they're not going to care". Lack of quality control can also be interpreted for some records as "fake pressing". Counterfeit. Bootleg.

I've yet to see someone's fingernail or galagala lumps, but there's a first for everything.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I don't get it when people complain about minor deffects in their reissues.

Well, probably because I can buy 30 year old LP's that have been played to death, and they play through without issue - then I crack the seal on a 180 gram RE of Food, "Forever is a Dream" and it plays with all this noise at the quiet parts, and skips on one track, on the first play!
    For that matter, it's not reissues that I have the most trouble with, but just vinyl pressings of new records. I got "Late Registration" on vinyl, and it had pops the first time I played it. whaddupwitdat?

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I was just joking about that severely warped Annie. I hear you. I don't buy lots of new records because of that. There's no quality control.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Haha what do you mean-Annie is rare as hell. No but seriously I pulled that off of Google. The problem with new releases is that if you're going to charge someone $14.99 and up for an album the vinyl better be cut clean. Fuck that shit. But it's not happening. A few labels do it right but not many. I could name names of labels that have given me problems but I'm not in the mood to pull cards today. But it's just frustrating to throw down some cash on some vinyl and you crack it open and the shit is flawed. Pops, warpage, lumps, scuffs, mastering is shit. Especially on double vinyl pressings when the songs are still quiet. It's fuckin bullshit. Where's the quality control!!??