early in tha week digs

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
well, this kinda a weekend dig/story...there was a record swap at shangri-la this weekend, my table happened to be next to Wayne Jackson who was signing his book. I didnt know he was gonna be there and the only record of his I had for sale was "Get Up and Dance"(even though he is prolly on half the records at Shangri-la)...so I had him sign it, he took one look at it and started laughing and said "oh yeah, THAT dude hasnt been drinking and poppin pills" and continued to laugh about it. Chatted with him a little while, nice dude.here is what I copped at the swap and yesterday(hence the "beginning of the week")45sVariations[/b] "put the music on funk"(amour)....weird ass record, it sure aint no "sayin it doin it"Big Maybelle [/b]"baby wont you please come home/sat it isnt so"(savoy) cant have too many Big Maybelle records IMODennis Robinson[/b] "hard to handle/unchained melody"(red lite)Mack Simmons and Jimmy Mitchell[/b]"43rd street bus stop/I wanna make you feel like a woman"(RM)Harran Griffin & the explosions[/b] "movin much to fast"(bama) some straight ghetto-ass funk y'all...grab one if ya canVicki Anderson[/b] "dont throw your love in the garbage can/in the land of milk and honey"(Brownstone)LPsToad[/b] s/t yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ok it was a used re-ish, but I cant afford to throw down $400 on an OG at the momentScorpions[/b] "Fly to the Rainbow"Scorpions[/b] "In Trance" my Uli Roth-era collection is completeSlade[/b] "Sladest"Spacemen 3[/b] "Perfect prescription" promoRufus Thomas[/b] "Walking the Dog" OG!!!!!!! dont see those around everyday!

Comments

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts
    i found a few goodies yesterday:

Counts--What's up Front Counts

Jimmy McGriff--Electric Funk

Dorthy Ashby--Afro Harping

Julius Watlins--Les Jazz Moderne

Freddie McCoy--Lonely Avenue

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    From my local:

and from Brazil, safely stored between two huge styrofoam blocks wrapped in kraft paper (seriously, when I left the post office, it looked like I just bought a painting)

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts
    what's that whole winston's jawn like? i only have the amen 45.

• not bad for a Monday.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    what's that whole winston's jawn like? i only have the amen 45.

Amen is the only good thing about it. I mean, the drums are kinda snappy all over the album, but no other songs that are good all the way through. Mostly it's because they sing on all the other tracks!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Spacemen 3 "Perfect prescription" promo

Vinyl? I've never seen one. I kinda thought it maybe didn't exist. What cover does it have?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

Vinyl? I've never seen one. I kinda thought it maybe didn't exist. What cover does it have?

plain black 12" sleeve...with a sticker with the band logo and album title...no artwork.

plain black 12" sleeve...with a sticker with the band logo and album title...no artwork.

wow! promo only maybe? I used to have nearly all their stuff on vinyl, bootlegs & all. Never ever saw that. Good find!

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Yup, I have that Spacemen 3. I'll keep my eyes peeled for another one for you Crink. The Hook Up, I just got that Brainticket- celestial ocean cd, cool stuff.

Early week rackords-
    Jeremy Steig-wayfaring stranger (blue note)
    Seldon Powell- messin with (encounter)
    Salome Bey- sings songs from dude (w/ Galt MacDermot and Bernard Purdie
    and some other stuff thats not in front of me right now

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    i found a few goddies yesterday:

Counts--What's up Front Counts
    Jimmy McGriff--Electric Funk
    Dorthy Ashby--Afro Harping
    Julius Watlins--Les Jazz Moderne
    Freddie McCoy--Lonely Avenue

Finally found George Braith-Musart(this better warrant the Soulstrut Factor, you pricks!)

also:
    Andrew Hill - One for One Blue Note 2fer(finally)
    Mat Matthews-The Modern Art of Jazz(feat. Julius Watkins, Kenny Clarke, Oscar Pettiford and more)
    Jazz West Coast Vol 2
    psychedelic Dream 1982 Columbia Psych comp
    Charles Mingus-Right Now late pressing
    Groove Holmes-Coming Home

Thanks to Denmark for the tip!

Yup, I have that Spacemen 3.

promo styleee?

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts

wow! promo only maybe? I used to have nearly all their stuff on vinyl, bootlegs & all. Never ever saw that. Good find!

I've got that record with its normal cover...so yes, it exists.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    -Quinn Harris "Statements"
    Unknown 2nd Quinn Harris LP. Anybody know the deal? Several great tracks. "Supernatural Thing" being the standout. His flute is always on point.

-Mary Lou Williams "Mary Lou's Mass"
    Finally. Spiritual face melter

-Musique Sans Paroles
    Really really good afro-jazz from the Pied Piper of Nola

-Charles Pryor and Kream "Skin Hot"
    Great modern Funk outta detroit

-Minnie Riperton "Come to My Garden"
    Thought I'd find this cheap, 8 years later and that never happend so I had to pay.

Which cover is it though?

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts

This one:

This one:

DOPE!

damn, why have I never senn this!

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Unknown 2nd Quinn Harris LP. Anybody know the deal? Several great tracks. "Supernatural Thing" being the standout. His flute is always on point.

Glad you're enjoying it. I thought the entire thing was pretty good.

I haven't posted up finds/trades/ebaypurchases in a little bit, but that's because I don't do that much digging anymore. However, here are the highlights of what I've obtained over the last few weeks:

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Glad you're enjoying it. I thought the entire thing was pretty good.

I haven't posted up finds/trades/ebaypurchases in a little bit, but that's because I don't do that much digging anymore. However, here are the highlights of what I've obtained over the last few weeks:

That Gandalf lp is the SHIT!

Good Find.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    damn.i been needin that Professionals lp. nice score dude

Is that the LP you got in a set sale list?

Also how much did you pay for that Gandalf. Been after that for a minute.

NB

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    plaese to explain to me why Gandalf is so in demand? I dont get it...sounds like some boring ass hobbit rock to me...

plaese to explain to me why Gandalf is so in demand? I dont get it...sounds like some boring ass hobbit rock to me...

Hobbit rock? Aside from the name, I can't see any connection to The Lord of the Rings. Anyway, I dig it a lot. Both it and the Professionals were purchased on ebay.

Don't sleep on the Japanese OSTs, though. The one I found has a little heat: http://s7.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1PFRDVOCGAZ5Y160MNNYIQOGHJ

• -Quinn Harris "Statements"

Scan/audio please

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Finally found George Braith-Musart(this better warrant the Soulstrut Factor, you pricks!)

Nice one, scored that recently as well. Soulstrut hype cannot touch this record!

Scan/audio please

TWOPLY, do you still have the picture of this? Otherwise, when I get home this eve.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Oh also picked these up on my way to get a haircut:

Don Covay & Jefferson Lemon Blues Band - Different Strokes For Different Folks - Janus
    Ornette Coleman - Ornette! - Atlantic (red/green, early 70s)
    Universal Robot Band - Dance & Shake Your Tambourine 12" - Red Greg

Not bad.

• -Quinn Harris "Statements"

Scan/audio please

TWOPLY, do you still have the picture of this? Otherwise, when I get home this eve.

Hook a soulstrut brother up on this one...

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts

-Mary Lou Williams "Mary Lou's Mass"
    Finally. Spiritual face melter

What did you have to pay/come off to get this? I've been listening to her quite a bit, as she is perfect computer lab/final paper music. Folkways just reissued this and Black Christ of the Andes on CD with unreleased tracks. Her LPs are some "when I get money" type shit

• All I've gotten so far this week is a Maceo and the Kings Men reish for 5 bucks and Terry Callier-What Color is Love in a trade with my friend. I didn't have to come off anything heavy for it either.