rep/praise/recommend ONE (and only one) DUB LP

SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
edited April 2018 in Music Talk
there's a million dub albums. a few are mindblowing, some are great, and many just suck.

please tell us one dub LP you think is worthy of mention. you can tell us why, post sound, or not say anything about it.

but just pick one and make it count. I ask this because these threads tend to collapse when immediately people post jpegs and youtubes from 75 different albums. it makes it more fun IMO if you have to decide on just one album to rep instead of showing us all the breadth of your collection.

since it's my idea, I get to go first. absolute classic LP with organic, live band feel to it. Prince Jammy dubs out as the Aggrovators go heavy on the clav and harpsichord.

and it's not some super-rare. you can probably get a UK OG for $25-$35, worth every penny and then some.
TAGGED:

Comments

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I've been revisiting my dub collection recently, so much great stuff...

If I had to settle for one, OGs and REs considered, I would go with this:

At least that's what I say today.

• macka dub 1 and 2 (btw- i need both of these, can anyone hook me up?)

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    One of the first i ever bought and still it blows me away.

Full lp + a dub version.

crabmongerfunk said:
    macka dub 1 and 2 (btw- i need both of these, can anyone hook me up?)

Love this, probably my second or third choice. Pretty sure that there is no Vol. 2, though.

The currently available re sounds great, btw.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    good point that if you had to choose one you might have to go with a comp. those Blood & Fire sets are so dense with heat, I do tend to play them more than the OG albums I own.

SoulOnIce said:
    Blood & Fire

I really consider them a forerunner of today's crop of top-quality reissues that get everything right - sound, selection, packaging, licensing, liners etc.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Keith Hudson - Brand

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    i may have already sung ut's praises to you, m*rk, but for me it's Augustus Pablo's "Rockers Meet King Tubbys In A Firehouse"... also, the first dub record i ever bought, so in a lot ways it's a junkie thing; always chasing that first fix! not sure which track is my fav, i shift around alot, not a bad tune on there..
    Duderonomy

Can we post more than one if we spread it out over a bunch of posts and promise to not clog it with youtubes?

TheKindCromang said:

Not dub.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    bassie said:
    Can we post more than one if we spread it out over a bunch of posts and promise to not clog it with youtubes?

haha you sound like a little kid in the supermarket rationalizing to Mom why he actually deserves the candy bar! "and I'll clean my room TONIGHT and ..."

I just like the post-one concept because it opens it up and paces things well. but if it flops feel free to come off the bench and save my ass ????

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    Always dug this Bunny Lee classic:

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    Prince Far I /and done, for me

i celebrate his entire catalog but it would be between these 2:

which i was super happy to have found in a $2 bin 1994 in port chester, westchester county at Final Vinyl

and this one,

which was the first of his i ever bought and still love to this day

• Hate if you must, but I'll go with this:

This album epitomizes what I love about dub, which is the tweaking of the original track. The showcase style--vocal followed by dub--is the perfect way to, um, showcase what's been dubbed out and what's been left it. I've always felt like you appreciate a dub much more if you know the original. There's something about being familiar with Jacob Miller singing, "You keep on knockin', but you can't come in" and then hearing, "You keep on knockin', but you-you-you-you" echo out. Ditto for basslines, percussion, guitar riffs, etc.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    AKallDay said:
    Prince Far I /and done, for me

i celebrate his entire catalog but it would be between these 2:

which i was super happy to have found in a $2 bin 1994 in port chester, westchester county at Final Vinyl

and this one,

which was the first of his i ever bought and still love to this day

Huge cosign!

• Horseleech said:
    TheKindCromang said:

Not dub.

Had a feeling this particular hair would get split.

Here's my alternate pick:

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    RAJ said:

sayin

• SpacechoSpacecho 176 Posts
    I'm far from a reggae expert, and only have the Blood & Fire reish of this but... its definitely in the Top 5 dub lp's i've heard

Keith Hudson "Pick A Dub"

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    this one is heavy and quite new, released this year:

You should definetly check it.

• sneakypsneakyp 202 Posts

• nothing beats scientist for me

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Yeah the Scientist is the shit . Great thread. Here's another I play alot:

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    cheating, here's another I found a while back:

• LoopDreams said:
    Yeah the Scientist is the shit . Great thread. Here's another I play alot:

Just picked this up a couple of weeks ago -- so good

batmon said:

This one is crazy -- love the digi Sly & Robbie style

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    meistromoco said:

This one is crazy -- love the digi Sly & Robbie style

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Kind of suprised to see that the Aswad is a respected record, I've loved that record for 20+ years but never really heard anyone give it props, I just assumed because it wasn't from JA.

Here's my choice, hate all you want:

asstro said:

Great pick. This is an excellent record.

I'm glad Garvey's Ghost is in here. Foundation and all that.

East of the River Nile - A Pablo
    Blackboard Jungle - L Perry and The Upsetters
    Dangerous Dub - Roots Radics and King Tubby
    Dub Conference Vol.1 - Harry Mudie and King Tubby