Scorpio & His People?

13»

Comments

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    james said:
    blah blah blah

Well said. And your post about brits from last year is spot on. Strange this thread came up, I've been listening to mp3s I had all morning. (needed a mp3 under 2 meg for a project related..).

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Look, in 10 or so years on Soulstrut, I've done nothing but share and contribute... for once I was holding back just a bit. Yeah, I wanted people to know I had it... I spent a small fortune on it after all and I can count the number of people who come to see me DJ when I do on one hand. Would anyone listen to my mixes if it didn't have a tracklist? Probably not. Do I actually care if people do? As a matter of fact I do. Do I think I'm special because I own the record? Of course not.

The issue I had here is that I've over stepped my online boundaries before and been called out on it... very recently in fact by a Strutter I consider a close friend. I'm not trying to hold this record as sacred or anything, it's just a record, I just don't want to be disrespectful. Fine, I over reacted and maybe it was bound to get out... but it just sucks that it probably came from my copy if it popped up on Soulseek because someone decided not to listen to my request when I graciously shared the mp3's in private. That's all.

• yeah, i dont think you got nothing to worry about man. your mixes are great, tracklisting or not (im not gonna be finding most of those records anyway). you shouldnt feel bad and your friend should understand that you tried to respect his wishes but were excited about something you dropped loot on. shit leaks...especially when its banging.
    take your friend out to lunch, bring him something nice to smoke and have a fun listening session. the end.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    FortyFivan said:
    Would anyone listen to my mixes if it didn't have a tracklist? Probably not.

I didn't listen to you mix specifically because of your tracklist. Not trying to be an jerk, just sayin.

(I do have it archived and likely will at some point)

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    FortyFivan said:
    And yes, I realize I put them in DJ mixes

I'd go with Clean Up Man by Eddie Finley & The Cincinatti Show Band. It has the raerity,

You know Jazzman edited this. He fades it in, trying to hide the very un-funky, rock guitar on the intro. here's the OG ... which I sold... for around $1300. I'm so goddamned rich.

:balla:

• high_c said:
    Duderonomy said:
    FortyFivan said:

I'd go with Clean Up Man by Eddie Finley & The Cincinatti Show Band. It has the raerity,

You know Jazzman edited this. He fades it in, trying to hide the very un-funky, rock guitar on the intro. here's the OG ... which I sold... for around $1300. I'm so goddamned rich.

Those dudes aversion to anything remotely rock or fuzz guitar related is truly incomprehensible. How could you not want MORE of that facemelting sustain at the end of the song, shit is beyond funky, in my mind.

BTW The unforgiven was posted up either here or on Waxi months ago, iirc. This latest installment was the first time I heard the other side, though.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Chuck_Huss said:
    high_c said:
    Duderonomy said:
    FortyFivan said:

Those dudes aversion to anything remotely rock or fuzz guitar related is truly incomprehensible. How could you not want MORE of that facemelting sustain at the end of the song, shit is beyond funky, in my mind.

God knows why anyone would edit any of that out. It's just fucking amazing (pardon my French).
    I love this track even more now. Thanks!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Chuck_Huss said:

BTW The unforgiven was posted up either here or on Waxi months ago, iirc. This latest installment was the first time I heard the other side, though.

It was first posted up here almost 2 years ago. But yeah, first time I've heard the other side.

• Duderonomy said:
    Chuck_Huss said:
    high_c said:
    Duderonomy said:
    FortyFivan said:

God knows why anyone would edit any of that out. It's just fucking amazing (pardon my French).

It seems like a UK thing.

I've had several UK collectors of funk, disco and Latin tell me that they didn't want anything with a guitar solo on it.

Duderonomy said:
    Chuck_Huss said:
    high_c said:
    Duderonomy said:
    FortyFivan said:

It seems like a UK thing.

I've had several UK collectors of funk, disco and Latin tell me that they didn't want anything with a guitar solo on it.

Yeah, what was that show-off Hendrix doing coming over here? He should've stayed in the states where he really would've been appreciated.

I kid.
    I guess the hard-core collector has a certain sound in mind, and they don't want anything that diverges from what a funk record 'should' sound like. Whatever that is.

Or, could it be some hangover from Mods vs Rockers? Or a Northern Soul thing?
    Again, pigeonholing, another UK thing...

But thanks again for poasting that unexpurgated version Hi-C.

fryer_motherfunk said:
    I'm gonna post remastered Wavs from a minter and get it over with.

Or to be really annoying, you could re-ish it.

%-P

Sorry Ferrari, couldn't resist.

Duderonomy said:
    Sorry Ferrari, couldn't resist.

No offense taken :cheese:

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I too have met many UK soul/funk heads down the years who have an aversion to loud guitars. As has been noted, this can lead to some very suspect value judgements. Not that it's a funk/soul record per se, but I once read a review in the NME of Material's "Bustin' Out", a first-rate disco-rock crossover joint from '81 with Nona Hendryx on lead vocals, which suggested that it would be improved immeasurably by the removal of Ronnie Drayton's scalding maggot-brain guitar solo near the end. Crazy talk.

• Reynaldo said:

FINALLY!!!!! Thank You! Us Second Class Citizens can get a proper rip of this fantastic 45. No thanks to FortyFivan who didn't reply to my pm request for an mp3 copy. Yeah I might have just joined the strut recently, having lurked, but I've been collecting 45s for years and am a deep funk, raw soul lover. Doubt You have been in the game as long. All I could do was snip his latest mix to get the track but it was faded in & out, incomplete and I wanted a clean copy, strangely this song definitely belongs in a mix, standing alone it's not as powerful, but very intriguing nonetheless.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    ^^^
    Man, when @FortyFivan stormed the field all berserk-like I thought maybe he was overreacting a touch, but then along comes a poast like this and its instant vindication.

button said:
    ^^^
    Man, when @FortyFivan stormed the field all berserk-like I thought maybe he was overreacting a touch, but then along comes a poast like this and its instant vindication.

• breadwinner said:

fourty fivan need to be like the rock in the background. calm and immovable. there are some dipshits who have talked too much negativity. let it wash off your back fourty fivan.

Haha, right?!

Although I totally did overreact and felt pretty shitty about it... sorry Rey and team, that's not like me at all. I've been mega stressed out at my day job, have been busting my ass trying to start my own business on the side, just got booted from my apartment, and just went through a very painful breakup, so I was as high strung as I've ever been. But I'm like the rock in the picture now!

I didn't think it was so much an overact. Exclusivity and Djing have gone hand in hand since the beginning.

I just thought it wasn't a big deal since a fairly decent rip was posted almost 2 years ago.

DOR said:
    I just thought it wasn't a big deal since a fairly decent rip was posted almost 2 years ago.

Only half of one side if I recall... but completely irrelevant at this point!

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    FortyFivan said:
    Haha, right?!

Although I totally did overreact and felt pretty shitty about it... sorry Rey and team, that's not like me at all. I've been mega stressed out at my day job, have been busting my ass trying to start my own business on the side, just got booted from my apartment, and just went through a very painful breakup with a devil woman, so I was as high strung as I've ever been. But I'm like the rock in the picture now!

not to mention the added bonus of fending off aggro ankle-biters like S**l Z**la. :gulp:

• FortyFivan said:
    Haha, right?!

Although I totally did overreact and felt pretty shitty about it... sorry Rey and team, that's not like me at all. I've been mega stressed out at my day job, have been busting my ass trying to start my own business on the side, just got booted from my apartment, and just went through a very painful breakup with a devil woman, so I was as high strung as I've ever been. But I'm like the rock in the picture now!

Hang in there Bro. We share similar tastes. Love your mixes. Keep them comin'. Women come and go but friends last forever.

Soul Zilla said:
    FortyFivan said:
    Haha, right?!

Hang in there Bro. We share similar tastes. Love your mixes. Keep them comin'. Women come and go but friends last forever.

No we're talking! Thanks man. Sorry, I would have responded to your PM if I had seen it... I rarely check those. Enjoy the mixes.

• not to mention the added bonus of fending off aggro ankle-biters like S**l Z**la. :gulp:
    Um Not sure what that means? But it's your opinion and you are entitled to it!