Potential music history being made tonight at midnight

Comments

• The server look like

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    My dude. You know I'm sharp. I got teh smartzes. But I need you to break this down for me. I am a layman.

Tell me in simple words why this is an important shift in music formats. Tell me why this is better. And for the love of god, explain what the ratios mean. [/layman]

Basically it means that the file is so big that your iPod won't have room for any other song. Think of a Walkman that can only have one cassette at the time.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    4YearGraduate said:
    Thanks Mjukis, appreciate the support.
    It could potentially be a really great medium, here's hoping to the future - and faster downloads!

Swedens internet is great in general - at home my connection is 100 mbit upload and download. And ipods and iphones are only getting bigger and bigger. I'd rather have 500 great sounding albums than 5000 in mp3 format - at least I'd like to have the option. But before something like this catches on, the tech will have to catch up a bit. The audio/hifi nerdus might be interested though. Hey - I'm one of them.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    nzshadow said:
    It'slike Blu-Ray but you don't need a new player.

THAT'S WHAT I"M TALKING ABOUT. That's the message. That will sell people.

• Congrats Thes, this is a really smart move on your part.
    Will be copt.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    My D/L was 'interrupted' with 15 min to go.

Started again from my email link and this time it says 1 instead of 3 hours.

While this is inconvenient, it adds to the 'event', in this age of instant gratification and leaked albums etc, it's kinda cool to be jonsing like this, it's been a long while.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I'm ready to take the Pepsi Challenge with this new codec.

Would much rather prefer vinyls.

• Always exciting to see new high quality formats. Congrats on this.

Serato compatible?

I wonder how it will compare to straight analog to vinyl.

I assume this should shit on superaudio CDs?

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Congrats on this Thes. Going to cop now, and I can tell you for a fact that you're way ahead of the curve on this one. Hope you get a lot of buzz off of this, too.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    So whats the exact size?
    This is interesting stuff.

• Quick update:

The download comes with two music folder: HD-AAC, which is about 800mgb, and a 320kbps MP3 encoded straight from the master as well. The 320 is pretagged with 5 serato cue points per track, some loop points where it makes sense and other treats. That file is about 100 mgb. So people have the choice. of what they want to listen to or keep. Or, they can use ITunes to downgrade the HD-AAC to like 192 if that be their preference.

In other news, the server got decimated this morning, even with us rolling out the release in 11 waves, and we have been forced to take the entire server and site offline and switch to the absolute maxxed out server $$$$$$$ can buy to accommodate the requests. I apologize to anyone who has been trying to download it thus far and has been unsuccessful but it should be a whole new game very shortly.

Feedback on the Hd-AAC so far has been amazing (once people get the download that is)

• I find this inspiring and extremely forward thinking.
    There should be some way to make sure that this is registered in the public realm that you were the first to do this.
    Have you released that fact to the media? A publicist worth their salt should find ways to get you into markets such as High End Audio Mags/blogs and such. This could garner you sales from usually untapped areas.
    I wish you much success based both on your music, your ideas, and your positivity.

...and the Lincoln Mayorga comment was genius.

• An hour and a half to download.. Lookin forward to hearing this!

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    tuneup said:
    I wish you much success based both on your music, your ideas, and your positivity.

I mainly listen to digital music on my ancient 1GB mp3 player, which doesn't even play WAVs let alone AACs. As a non-Apple person, I'm thinking about the potential for this quality of digital music to become my norm (which I would very much like to see). Can anyone comment on how likely it is that AAC will/is be/being supported by other modern mp3s players and smartphones, etc.?

• Thanks tuneup, I really appreciate it.
    This last week has gone from can we do this? to Let's do this! to oh shit maybe we shouldn't have done this! It's crazy because we are running like full size dedicated servers now and still struggling, not because of the file size but becasue of the requests - but now that the album is live, every time it sells our site generates a unique download link and then it stacks up on top of the existing downloads. Waterfall effect like a mug.

Our press girl is gonna be on it but i think even she was waiting to see what would happen and what the response would be. We had to test the actual HD-AAC file in like 30 different players/itunes and it's holding up fine (which is crazy).

My research (again this isn't really my field so i may be wrong) shows that the android developer platform supports high resolution AAC - at the minimum the file will play in it's lossy version on most any player, which is 192AAC. As technology advances over the course of the next few years, we should see more and more players using Fraunhoffer chipset and codecs (they invented MP3) and so i have no doubt this format will be adopted widescale a few years from now.

• The biggest difference I hear, even on 5$ chinese headphones is the reverb tails on all of the vocals and the room ambiance on everything. Like I can here when Kat's foot steps off of the piano sustain pedal and the amps humming at he very end of the record, the tape hiss, the vinyl crackles - funny enough, all of the things that kind of get burried on a rap album. More importantly though, I think this format over the next few years will become more of astandard and technology will up itself to the resoution of the record, so it may sound even better int eh future. Hard to say. The 320 MP3 we bundled with it also used the newest FHII codecs and came off of the master reels so it sounds pretty rad too though.

For shits and giggles I imported a 44/16 cd master here into itunes and let it spit out a MP3 - like the olden days - sounded different. Mainly becasue to get from 24/48 down to 44/16 the audio is Dithered, which is a psychoacoustic process of adding noise to the record to hide the bit truncation. When that file is then converted to MP3, thatdither noise creates a warbling sound in the high frequencies - especially on high hats and vocals.

Not preferable, to me at least.

Is the site still having problems or is it my Euroman ISP?

• Prblems for sure. And we've thrown every $ we can at the server, the tubez going in and out are overloaded. This is insane. It defies logic. GODDAM YOU INTERWEBZ!

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    I was having troubles with ordering from the site, but finally got through.

Copped. DLing now. Stoked!

• 2 1/2 hours left...

• The last twenty four hours here have been

the god spelunk holding shit down something serious right now.

• only took 45 minutes to DL and now I feel like I'm sitting in your MPC listening to this. Sounds amazing!!!!

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    nzshadow said:
    Is the site still having problems or is it my Euroman ISP?

same here. Download was crashed 5 minutes ago. Hope to get another chance....

• jjfad027 said:
    cool

nice werk

Fuck yes.

This sounds amazing.

• 1) new PUTS? excited to hear this. pushing for hi-res lossless downloads? thank you!

2) at the risk of starting a nerd war, ummmm...... 24-bit is better than 16, but it's not the extra 8 bottom bits of a 24-bit word that makes music sound better. What you *will* hear is the *quality circuitry* inside the quality gear needed to run at those specs (24bit/48k). 100 mph is the same in a ferrari and a honda. but it feels way better in the ferrari.

feel free to share if you disagree. new PUTS!

• no, your definately right - the real difference is that the MBit or Pow dithering on a truncated source uses noise shaping to make up the loss, that noise is then coded in the MP3 which is why the CD 44/16 step is bogus. IT adds a layer of hash to the actual recording.
    I'm gonna make a video showing soloing the noise the MP# encoding adds, that shit is gonna blow peoples minds.. gimme an hour and i'll get it up.

thanks again for the support!

• So who do I email to get a download link again? Download failed twice so I restarted my cpu and I guess you only have one chance to download it?

EDIT.. Nevermind

• orders@pl70.net

though you should have another chance to download it. Either way hit us up and we'll get you sorted. This shit is crazy

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    damms said:
    who cares about that stuff
    do the beats bang ?