Palm Springs: Yay or Nay?

PlantweedPlantweed 394 Posts
edited August 2011 in Strut Central
We're thinking about moving there if I get laid off from my job again (thanks, Don Cuomo). Visited last year, love the MCM scene. Worried about getting work though (graphic design/publishing). Anyone work in L.A. and telecommute? Have friends in L.A. and would look forward to hanging there on weekends and shit. Housing prices are way down; would get a standalone condo. Taxes are way lower than current home in Upstate NY. Don't play golf. I know I'm trading extreme cold for extreme heat. Know it's a gay getaway. Know it's loaded with retirees. Just parsing facts and opinions at this point. How's the digging?

Random thoughts?

Comments

• Don't all talk at once LOL. I know some folks have hung here or maybe even lived here.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    DJ Day lives in Pam Springs and I'm guessing he loves it there.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I visit there regularly and like to buy old cars out there because they are low mileage and rust free, but I couldn't live there. It's too desolate and hot for me, personally. Haven't found many records there, but lots of other cool stuff.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Good thrifting in those parts (PS/Indio). I hate to say it, but anywhere with rich old people croaking is bound to have good stuff show up. Only place I've seen Gucci loafers at a thrift.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I think you'd either have to love it in that area or it would drive you crazy. On paper it probably looks like a short jaunt over to the greater civilized LA area but in reality it's a pretty brutal trip. Riverside & San Bernardino are more accessible but both kind of represent the absolute worst Southern California has to offer.

• Isn't L.A. a lot more expensive, though? Especially if you wanna own a place in a decent neighborhood?

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Plantweed said:
    Isn't L.A. a lot more expensive, though? Especially if you wanna own a place in a decent neighborhood?

No doubt.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I went there for a party a few years ago.
    Met some people who live there, who grew up there, and are not part of the wealthy play ground scene. I am sure the Palm Springs they know and love is much different than the one I saw.

What I saw was a desert town that wasted tons of water (stolen from the Colorado no doubt).
    Downtown was very humid on a summer night because every bank has a giant fountain out front surrounded by a lush green lawn and every restaurant has misters going none stop.
    A great place to party, eat, shop and enjoy air conditioning. I wouldn't want to live there.

The economics of selling in upstate ny and buying in southern ca are hard for me to grasp.

• Well that's what we're trying to figure out. Housing has dropped considerably in the past 5+ years there. For what we can sell our house for here we can get a nice place there. I'm just weighing the pluses and minuses of actually living there, finding a job, etc. There do seem to be more armed robberies and violent crime there, but we've run out of things to fucking DO in Albany, NY.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    My aunt and uncle live in Palm Springs. I don't get the appeal.

• If you like the desert where's a better place to live? Albuquerque? Phoenix?

between those two - definitely Albq.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Grandfather said:
    definitely Albq.

I read this as "alba-cue", which, in my private mind garden, is the perfect mix of Jessica Alba and barbecue.

Not sure exactly what that entails, but I do know this: talmbout some saucy dealings.

Alba-que all day everyday in Albq.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    You should look into Tucson.

Palm Springs seems like a lousy place for a primary residence.

unless it's this place

Know it's a gay getaway.

My friends that run Odessey magazine have a place out there with a penis shaped swimming pool. It's quite hillarious.

• I live in LA and Palm Springs is the weekend getaway of choice for me and the missus.

We love all the MCM (art, architecture, furniture, etc....), Beautiful skies, Palm Trees, Majestic mountains, Good Thrifts (not necessarily for records, but I'm sure if you lived there you'd find good stuff), Ace Hotel/DJ Day!!

It is FUCKING HOT in the Summer!!! If you are not by a pool or in an air conditioned room you are hating life.

If retirement were ever an option for us, this is where we would choose to retire.

I knew a famous guitarist who was sooooo rich he had a swimming pool shaped like an amp.

• jjfad027, is that Bob Hope's place? Here's a pic I took last year.

• LaserWolf said:
    I knew a famous guitarist who was sooooo rich he had a swimming pool shaped like an amp.

damn, a pool shaped like a rectangle?!

Plantweed said:
    jjfad027, is that Bob Hope's place? Here's a pic I took last year.

No it's a different house, but both were designed by Lautner.

walter_chron said:
    LaserWolf said:

damn, a pool shaped like a rectangle?!

:cheese:

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    commuting into LA will make you want to kill yourself. there are times when traffic makes it 4+ hours one way.

• one dozen words to sum up Palm Springs.
    hot. retired. no cabs. horny old men. golf. retired. a/c. sandy vaginas.

Plantweed said:
    but we've run out of things to fucking DO in Albany, NY.

Rereading your first post I see you say you are aware of everything people are telling you.
    Albany is 2 hours+ from NYC so I am guessing it is less about things to do and more about being near la friends and west coast living.

I would check out San Deigo, and the mountains around SD, Northern Cal and the NW.
    Obviously the job market sucks most everywhere, and housing prices are down most everywhere.
    While PS might have the MCM culture on lock, MCM homes and furnishings can be found through out the west.

• Thx LW...

• Dupe post...so, here's a pic. Horseback riding in the canyons.

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts
    Why you would want to live there? I was just there in June and enjoyed myself at a wedding at the Ace but it is a very odd place.

3 categories of people live there in my observation:

1. Aging gay men
    2. Very old people who are politically very right wing, Nixon types
    3. Very trashy young men and women who might serve you in a restaurant or a shop and look like they love meth and want to beat your ass but are too tired from the heat