Selling Your House Strut

Comments

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    NateBizzo said:
    RAJ said:
    mrmatthew said:
    RAJ said:
    DJ_WubWub said:
    Just out of interest what kind of money will this beautiful house go for? A lot of Aussies are buying US real estate at the moment with high Aussie dollar it is a good time to buy.

Asking $575,000... US DOLLARS that is ;-)

:micro:

Hey Raj,

Would you consider some trades?
    Ive got some Rawkus deadstock heat tha you might be interested in ;)

I don't even think the Rawkus record company is worth $575,000

Holy Hell, your house would be worth $10M in they bay area! Location, Location, Location I suppose. What is sad is that since living out here you asking price seems cheap, though the mid-westerner in me knows that is still a lot of money. SMH.

Serious. Baller digs like that would be outrageous out here. 575 would get you a possibly decent boring house in the bay. We live in a strange world.

Good luck Raj. I imagine it's going to draw some real interest.

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    That's a beautiful pad man. Can't believe this only costs $575.000. Surely enough it depends on were you live but a house like that in Holland were I live would exceed 1.000.000 in euros easily. It looks very well taken care off too.
    We recently bought a new house and needed to sell our old place. My experience so far is that good houses that are well taken care off will sell, even if the market is kind of weak.

Good luck with the sale!

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    About the price, I believe this would easily be a 700k house during the real estate boom. Bad timing, I guess, but on the flip side, we were able to get a killer price on a lot overlooking a local lake (which is prime real estate because there are NO lakes around here.) Also, its a great time to build because it is so competitive with contractors... So it's all relative I guess.

• absolutely gorgeous.

if i wasn't so fond of Canadian healthcare id cut you a cheque this afternoon.

this would sell for 1.5-2 million in my hood.

i hope a bidding war starts on this driving the price up to what it's truly worth.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    RAJ said:
    About the price, I believe this would easily be a 700k house during the real estate boom. Bad timing, I guess, but on the flip side, we were able to get a killer price on a lot overlooking a local lake (which is prime real estate because there are NO lakes around here.) Also, its a great time to build because it is so competitive with contractors... So it's all relative I guess.

The market you sell in... cliche

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    gareth said:
    RAJ said:

Exactly. In Manhattan, that house and land would be worth upward of ten million easily, I would imagine.

• that is a spectacular house. after all the work you have done, it's gotta be tough to leave.

And the price...holy moly. That would cost prob close to 10x that in DC.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Sadly still on my first home so can't offer advice on selling but, after spending the last ten minutes clicking on the pictures and being filled full of envy, felt I had to chime in and say what a beautiful, beautiful house that is. I hope whoever does buy it continues to dedicate the kind of love and attention to the property that you and your wife have so obviously given.

• gareth said:

thank you.

as long as your selling to move on to a new building/buying project, it all evens out. remember, if it was a hot market you'd have to live somewhere and buy in a hot market and any growth on your investment would wash out.

it's the people who are currently selling to rent who are going to get killed, letting go at the bottom. it may take several years to bounce back but it's a great time to buy.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    Just gotta add to the list and say that is a really beautiful house Raj. Good luck selling it.

Thanks everybody for the kind words!

I am trying to beef up likes in a Facebook group:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cressman-House-Historic-Bucks-County-Victorian-For-Sale/134903169917082

Plaese like?

• i dont know if it's worth your time or money to list this internationally or not, but i know that the market here (Toronto) wasn't hit nearly as hard as places in the US.

that combined with our dollar (rarely) above parity has resulted in a LOT more people willing to make large investments south of the border.

ive been passing the link you posted to nearly everyone i know who may be more liquid and plugged into the market than me.

vintageinfants said:
    i dont know if it's worth your time or money to list this internationally or not, but i know that the market here (Toronto) wasn't hit nearly as hard as places in the US.

that combined with our dollar (rarely) above parity has resulted in a LOT more people willing to make large investments south of the border.

ive been passing the link you posted to nearly everyone i know who may be more liquid and plugged into the market than me.

Thanks man... You are right. My co-workers sold a nice house on a lot of land last year and one of the bids was from an Australian couple.

BTW: Bucks County, PA is an AWESOME place to live. It's very earthy, lots of barns , hippies, open space, boutique shops, great place to raise a family, good schools, etc... yet it is very accessible to cities like Philly and NYC and a few hours to the beach. A lot of people are moving out here and commuting and the uber rich NYCers are "summering" here. Buy my house, please?

• as tempting as it is, im a flipper not a gripper. maybe one day i'll be able to parlay that into the latter, but that's a ways out from where i'm standing (covered in sawdust and plumbing flux).

you've all but wrote me out of this one with all the hard work you've put in, but i can't help but be truly impressed with the what you've creates there.

again, i'll definitely move word along to any contacts i may have.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    575k? You are making all the Californians reading this thread cry. $150 per square foot!

• Options
    I have no experience with houses. When I price records at $1 sometimes they go much higher than if I priced them buy it now because of a bidding war.

ND10

NorthernDealer10 said:
    I have no experience with houses. When I price records at $1 sometimes they go much higher than if I priced them buy it now because of a bidding war.

ND10

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    RAJ said:
    NorthernDealer10 said:

ND10

I think he's telling you to put your house on ebay.

• Options
    Lol, I am not talking about houses. I am talking about records and how I try to avoid too high of a standard by sometimes starting the auctions at like $1.

• NorthernDealer10 said:
    Lol, I am not talking about houses. I am talking about records and how I try to avoid too high of a standard by sometimes starting the auctions at like $1.

oh. well that makes perfect sense then.

your contribution to the discussion is appreciated.

• Options
    vintageinfants said:
    NorthernDealer10 said:

oh. well that makes perfect sense then.

your contribution to the discussion is appreciated.

You're welcome.

• SaracenusSaracenus 671 Posts
    The wife and I sold our house last year and it was an eye opening experience.

How its going to go is dependent on a lot of factors:

What are the comparables? If your opening price point is near or just under the local price for a similar house you will probably do well.

What's your stake in the game, how much is left after you pay off the mortgage, and how much did you sink into the property. If you are close to those two combined numbers it makes it hard to lower the price. If you have a big cushion like we did, not so much.

What is your goal, get the most money or sell it in a timely fashion? In today's market in general you have to make a choice between the two.

Chance. There is a buyer for every property out there (notice I didn't say price). If the right buyer (or better yet, buyers) are on the scene when you open, then your sale will be easy-peasy.

My brother's warning about medication goes double for things like jewelry and small art objects. Better to store them or stash them in a safety deposit box until you are in your new digs. Anything that someone can palm or hide on their person should not be left out or even in drawers unless you don't care if it walks.

The first week we had lots of people come through, we chose to stay away from our house for about 10 days because real estate agents would call at the last minute all the time. You want to keep the house looking 100% and it sucks to be in the middle of dinner and suddenly have to pack up everything and clear out for a half hour. Save yourself the pain and stay with friends or family nearby if you can. Or do a bed and breakfast if you can't (talk to your tax accountant about whether you can use that expense as part of the sale of the house).

My two bits...

Saracenus said:

What are the comparables? If your opening price point is near or just under the local price for a similar house you will probably do well.

What's your stake in the game, how much is left after you pay off the mortgage, and how much did you sink into the property. If you are close to those two combined numbers it makes it hard to lower the price. If you have a big cushion like we did, not so much.

What is your goal, get the most money or sell it in a timely fashion? In today's market in general you have to make a choice between the two.

Chance. There is a buyer for every property out there (notice I didn't say price). If the right buyer (or better yet, buyers) are on the scene when you open, then your sale will be easy-peasy.

My brother's warning about medication goes double for things like jewelry and small art objects. Better to store them or stash them in a safety deposit box until you are in your new digs. Anything that someone can palm or hide on their person should not be left out or even in drawers unless you don't care if it walks.

The first week we had lots of people come through, we chose to stay away from our house for about 10 days because real estate agents would call at the last minute all the time. You want to keep the house looking 100% and it sucks to be in the middle of dinner and suddenly have to pack up everything and clear out for a half hour. Save yourself the pain and stay with friends or family nearby if you can. Or do a bed and breakfast if you can't (talk to your tax accountant about whether you can use that expense as part of the sale of the house).

My two bits...

Thanks man... lots of that rings true.

We had an open house this afternoon and NO ONE came through except for fucking neighbors. The "open house" did make us get our shit together. The house looks like a museum right now... probably won't last long.

• RAJ said:
    Saracenus said:

My two bits...

Thanks man... lots of that rings true.

We had an open house this afternoon and NO ONE came through except for fucking neighbors. The "open house" did make us get our shit together. The house looks like a museum right now... probably won't last long.

Like I said above: Open house + Sunday = Complete waste of time

I never pulled crap like that on my neighbors when they tried to sell.
    I guess people have got nothing better to do on Sunday.

Talked to a realtor friend of mine in LA. His firm does most of their
    business in Santa Monica. Asked him how the market was doing. He
    said everything from 800K-2M was selling good but that everything above
    that was not. Go figure.

• Post-summer status?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    RAJ said:
    DJ_WubWub said:
    Just out of interest what kind of money will this beautiful house go for? A lot of Aussies are buying US real estate at the moment with high Aussie dollar it is a good time to buy.

Asking $575,000... US DOLLARS that is ;-)

:micro:

I just ran the numbers and that's 1/3rd the average $/sq. ft. in my neighborhood. Or, to put it a different way, if this house were around the corner from mine, it'd be up for $1.3M, at least.

:oof:

Beautiful house. You'll have to hit us with photos of the spot you're building.

Deegreez said:
    Post-summer status?

Lots of interest. No offers yet.

:hated_it:

• cloud9cloud9 49 Posts
    Maybe I'll do a post on my Real Estate blog about it, I'm in CA but who cares. Hope you get it sold soon! (Beautiful btw)

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    We did a kind of open house (limited to a 2 hour slots) and the Saturday crowd seemed like the more serious leads since a few came back for a second view. Sunday was padded out with neighbours and oddballs who didn't look like they couldn't afford toothpaste let alone houses. Your place is beautiful - love that staircase.