• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Haters steer clear....here we go....

DEADRINGER or SINCE WE LAST SPOKE?

• deadringer!

• StringsStrings 82 Posts
    Entroducing & Deadringer!

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    I find it hard to listen to this stuff with the same ears these days. It just doesn't do it for ne anymore and this stuff was huge for me like 10-15 years ago.

Endtroducing way over private press. It's got a whole different feeling and it works better as an album. Private press has some amazing, technically solid songs, but it's got an overall coatin of cheese. Sans vocals I'd rather take the unkle beats. Private press is kind of like a comp where endtroducing is a solid album.

I tried to listened to since we last spoke the other day and decide I didn't need to hear it ever again. That song with him singing is too much. Deadringer has some great songs on it, but the "this was produced on an mpc" thing kind of bugs me a bit. There are a few songs that are great, but I'm kind of at the point in life where it's like if I want to listen to songs that are supposed to sound like a real band then I'll just listen to a real band. I know those songs dint exist except in that cut and paste format, but th occasional technical difficulties and sloppy moments just take me out of the music. It's kind of like some dude texting next to me in the movie theater.

Sorry for all the typos. iPhone related.

Since We Last Spoke has been on heavy rotation lately. It's really grown on me.

• bigchalzbigchalz 220 Posts
    I find it hard to listen to this stuff with the same ears these days. It just doesn't do it for ne anymore and this stuff was huge for me like 10-15 years ago.

Endtroducing way over private press. It's got a whole different feeling and it works better as an album. Private press has some amazing, technically solid songs, but it's got an overall coatin of cheese. Sans vocals I'd rather take the unkle beats. Private press is kind of like a comp where endtroducing is a solid album.

exactly, couldn't have said it better. think about the first time you heard endtroducing(my middle brother Chris sat me down saying 'you need to hear this right now' after a nice blaze on a sunny day in the ohio wasteland) and most of you would probably arrive at the same conclusion.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Mr_Lee_PHD said:

No question.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    day said:
    Mr_Lee_PHD said:

No question.

shit thread. it's pretty obvious.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    When I first skimmed this thread, I saw djsheep's username and thought it said djshadow. Wishful thinking.

I'll be one of the many who chooses Endtroducing. It's the most played CD in my car of all time (not that I own many CDs), and that's probably bc, as Controller_7 said, it was written to be listened to as an album, and it's a very solid album at that. I appreciate the experimentation DJ Shadow did on Private Press, especially with the vocals; Six Days blew me out of the water bc it was so unexpected compared to what I heard on Endtroducing, whereas Fixed Income seemed very similar vibe- and sound-wise to Endtroducing. I def feel like Shadow has been living his career in the shadow of his first full-length album which was deemed a magnum opus rather early on, not only for Shadow as an artist, but for instrumental hip-hop. Although I feel like his subsequent works are unfairly compared to Endtroducing, I also feel like having such a hugely successful, untouchable album under his belt gives DJ Shadow license to experiment however he wants in future sonic endeavors. I've really liked some of his post-Endtroducing output, and some of it left me scratching my head. Endtroducing seemed like the ultimate ode to digging and sampling, which any record collector can appreciate, and even the record cover photograph is just perfect. Overall, it was Endtroducing that got me interested in instrumental hip-hop, and I still really, really love that album.

Yuichi, they're both great albums, but I'm curious why you choose Private Press. Mind elaborating on your preference?

Yuichi, they're both great albums, but I'm curious why you choose Private Press. Mind elaborating on your preference?

Private press was actually the first of the two Shadow albums I came across. Endtroducing is dope without question. Private press to me goes through a wider range of emotions...to me at least....and the layering of samples seems more intricate on the later album. The drums are harder on Endtroducing, and while it's pretty much set in stone as THE instrumental hip-hop album; Private press is the one that still intrigues me.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Private press was actually the first of the two Shadow albums I came across.

• iDOXiDOX 43 Posts
    copped this yesterday @ RSD

Track Listing;

1. DJ Shadow's Theme (Original Version)
    2. The Source Is Serious Business
    3. Make It Critical
    4. Rock Lesson
    5. Cult of Brutality
    6. Do You Remember
    7. Lesson 5 [!!!]
    8. Reverse Beat
    9. Closing Credits

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    listened to the shadow 4-track cd and it didn't hold my interest at all. exactly what it is, a 4-track beat tape. interesting but that's it for me i guess...

• Endtroducing as a whole, but my favorite track is still Blood On The Motorway.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I enjoy PPress here and there. Its got some joints on there, but Endtro was a game shifter.

PP has actually "aged" better. I tried listening to Endtro recently and it was hard to get through.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    Endtro was a game shifter.

this guy was so far ahead at that point in time it was mindbending, this track dropped, if im not mistaking, pretty close after endtroducing had come out, still rocks..

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    Has anyone heard the Psyence Fiction or Private Press instrumental LPs? It might change your opinion.

:real_headz:

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    day said:
    Mr_Lee_PHD said:

No question.

I need to see Dark Days again. I remember seeing that and shitting myself when I realised they'd used Entroducing as the soundtrack, talk about a match made in heaven. One of my personal favourite albums at the time, and I still give it spins.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts

Track Listing;

1. DJ Shadow's Theme (Original Version)
    2. The Source Is Serious Business
    3. Make It Critical
    4. Rock Lesson
    5. Cult of Brutality
    6. Do You Remember
    7. Lesson 5 [!!!]
    8. Reverse Beat
    9. Closing Credits

Whoa.

Is this any good in comparison to Lesson 4 etc ?

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    knewjak said:
    Has anyone heard the Psyence Fiction or Private Press instrumental LPs? It might change your opinion.

:real_headz:

Hm, need to check those out. Some of the beats on the UNKLE album are great but ruined by the vocals.

Honestly, when I heard Endtroducing at first, it took me a while to appreciate the "dark" vibe. By the time Private Press came out I was something of a Shadow Stan and it was a bit like seeing Phantom Menace in the theatre - some cool moments, but an overall feeling of "Is this it?". I wish he would have done an album building on the strong tracks - Six Days, Giving up the ghost - and left the vocal tracks and electronica experiments for EPs or something. Endtroducing has such a solid album feel - PP just feels like a bunch of separate tracks thrown together.

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I would definitely rather hear Psyence Fiction than any of Shadow's solo work at this point.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    cookbook said:

THIS.

For me these days it's all about cut chemist's litmus test. Even audience's listening is really strong. Litmus is incredible as a megamix and an even bigger "in your face" that it's made out of his own works. Audience's Listening is well balanced and has more of the kind of drums and samples that I'd like to hear these days.

Someone send me a link to the psyence fiction instrumentals. I didn't see anything in a google search.

Preemptive strike plays really well too. Works great as an album. A little long in parts, but really solid.

• Controller_7 said:
    Deadringer has some great songs on it, but the "this was produced on an mpc" thing kind of bugs me a bit. There are a few songs that are great, but I'm kind of at the point in life where it's like if I want to listen to songs that are supposed to sound like a real band then I'll just listen to a real band. I know those songs dint exist except in that cut and paste format, but th occasional technical difficulties and sloppy moments just take me out of the music.

Would you be so kind as to expound on this a bit? I'm really interested in your thoughts on this - particularly since whenever I make music on the MPC I'm always thinking of how a band would build the song (the drum samples are the drummer, the bass samples are the bass guy, etc.....). It would be nice to think outside that frame of reference, but I can't picture what that is.
    Am I just over thinking it?

That Rjd2 mix is almost flawless.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Controller_7 said:

Preemptive strike plays really well too. Works great as an album. A little long in parts, but really solid.

I think that Shadow's best work was around the Entroducing years. When all this came out I???d be bumping his MoWax singles/Preemptive Strike & Entroducing best bits on a 90 min cassette. I don???t know whether he felt it was time to move on to a different sound, or simply that the work involved in sculpting another Entroducing was beyond him, but Private Press doesn???t nearly sound as polished or as complete a ???vision??? as Entroducing. I think that his production techniques improved, but he never took enough time out to get a feel for what he was making. Would never make a mix tape based around PP, and rarely sit down to listen to it as a whole; it just doesn???t grab me in the same way, despite or because the palette has changed considerably.

Whutchoosayin'bout Marley Marl?