Home Systems Strut

InnerSpaceInnerSpace 443 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
What do you use for home listening? (my bad if this has already been a topic.) Here's mine:

Comments

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    here's mine

• I'm about to go out and buy myself another amplifier.
    I would like an older amplifier.

Any recommendations?

• markus71 said:
    I'm about to go out and buy myself another amplifier.

Any recommendations?

Depends on your cash flow, but I am a McIntosh lover. Just good clean tube sound.

• sabadabada said:

I like.

• InnerSpace said:
    markus71 said:

Any recommendations?

Depends on your cash flow, but I am a McIntosh lover. Just good clean tube sound.

McIntosh is really really really really expensive. I got my Bogen from my parent's old stereo - one of those giant furniture units, and its worked fine with some minor tube replacements over the years. Bogen is top of the line consumer audio from the 50s and 60s and you can find them on ebay or online for relatively cheap.

• I need a good turntable. I use a 1200, because I didn't know any better. I never play out. I need a good listening turntable for under $1000. Vintage. Maybe with a little wood.

• sabadabada said:
    I need a good turntable. I use a 1200, because I didn't know any better. I never play out. I need a good listening turntable for under $1000. Vintage. Maybe with a little wood.

Thorens or Lindek are solid. I have an Ariston RD11s and a Sota Comet that I use. Love them both.

• markus71 said:

Any recommendations?

there are so many nice ones, but they are hard to get locally nowadays, i wouldn??t import one, cause the chances are 50/50 that you??ll receive it in one piece.

my faves in case you like the silver/champagne style are:

luxman l-540

and

Accuphase E-405

this is super solid, you can buy it blind and you won??t regret it. but incase it??s a used one check if it has the "phono card" (don??t know the word) built in, else you have to pay about 800 euros extra for it. the thing is not cheap i know, but it??s an investment for the whole life, if you buy an accuphase you??ll get a lifetime gurantee!!

if you don??t wanna spend that many money for an amp. a good and cheap alternative these days is the Harman Kardon HK 6900

also this combo isn??t bad

i know technics amps don??t satisfy the audiphiles critcs, but this is solid, same as the 7000 series

• sabadabada said:
    I need a good turntable. I use a 1200, because I didn't know any better. I never play out. I need a good listening turntable for under $1000. Vintage. Maybe with a little wood.

a thorens, check the varitaions of the thorens td 124, they have different wood chassis. this so so oooold and still good and super solid, but the thing is many people want it nowadays.

• planless said:
    sabadabada said:

a thorens, check the varitaions of the thorens td 124, they have different wood chassis. this so so oooold and still good and super solid, but the thing is many people want it nowadays.

Thorens is great. They look awesome and the sound is really nice.
    I bought a TD124 last year. They are definitely not cheap and if you need a repair that sure will cost you a couple of bucks but I'm super pleased with it.
    This turntable is the reason I'm now looking for a nice warm amplifier to match.

thanks for the suggestions so far.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I was unaware of amazing sound quality until about a year ago. My future father in law used to be into audiophile gear and it's given us a good bonding topic. He's dropped tons of knowledge on me and the Studio Two power amp. Since then, I've enthusiastically listened to my whole collection again. Don't underestimate a cleaning system to protect your cartridge and get the best sound.

Thorens TD-160 Super with Grace Tonearm and Ortofon Cart.
    PSE Studio SL pre-amp
    PSE Studio Two Power Amp
    JBL Northridge Speakers
    VPI cleaner
    Ridiculously happy with the above set-up. I would like to explore speaker options, but pretty well set for TT and amp.

Also have a Sansui AU-D9 amp which I thought was a great buy for the money.

• Running an early 80's Luxman system w a Technics SL-10.

Linear tracking tt's are generally not my thing but this one's been cool.

• planlessplanless 819 Posts
    hey Innerspace,
    do yourself a favour and try to rearrange the speakers. sry to say that it, but right now it??s pure nonsens. :shame_on_you:
    your desk is on the right and you only hear with the left ear? even if you turn your chair, the speakers are so damn close together that i can??t imagine the sound is good in the room. and remove the speakers from the wall, good would be a meter from the wall, or atleast 30- 50 cm.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I am very happy with my 1200. It's a tank. Stands up to the abuse I give it.
    I have Goodman speakers that date to about 1990 and they are great to me.

I have yet to find a consumer amp that is solid, dependable and has good sound. I have been through many amps.
    I currently have a sansui au-717. Supposed to be quality, but I have never been happy with it.

• planless said:
    hey Innerspace,
    do yourself a favour and try to rearrange the speakers. sry to say that it, but right now it??s pure nonsens. :shame_on_you:
    your desk is on the right and you only hear with the left ear? even if you turn your chair, the speakers are so damn close together that i can??t imagine the sound is good in the room. and remove the speakers from the wall, good would be a meter from the wall, or atleast 30- 50 cm.

That's solid advice. When I took that pic I had just purchased the system. All of what you said is already my current set up. The desk moved out the next day. Now I have a great listening chair positioned great in the room. Thanks for the heads up for someone else though. Speaker positioning is key for sure as well as listening at the right distance!

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Onkyo CR 525

All the mod cons, good sound, reliable and affordable.

B/w

Remember this thread ?