Check out my uncle's awesome unreleased disco track

m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
edited February 2011 in Strut Central
My uncle Fritz Dejean is a musician, working in the industry since the 70s. He's a multi-instrumentalist playing sax, percussion, piano, etc. and has played with a lot of different soul/jazz/rock artists. In the late 70s/early 80s he was a member of Mandrill (he's on their album "Energized" from '82). Besides working for others, he also does his own music.

A couple of days ago, he posted this track he did in the 80s on his facebook page:

"Get Tuff"

I think the video is from some local L.A. cable show.
I thought it was a pretty cool tune so I thought I'd share it with you guys.
I'm sure someone will appreciate it. I would play this out myself.

Comments

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Thanks for sharing - I think it's great! Some pretty editing in the vid, too.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    You're keeping the real smoldering sh*t from us:

I'm actually pretty into all the tracks from that session.

• Wow!! thanks so much for letting us know about your uncle??s music, really nice! is it unreleased then? does he still keep the original tapes? IMO this deserves a proper release

• Damn! This was really good:

Nice video! A bit like the Aaron Broomfield - I'm gonna miss ya video

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    Cool tunes! Co-Sign about the need to have this properly released. Thanks for sharing this with us and tell your uncle he's the dude.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    very dope.

eeehhh, did he have any of these tracks pressed up?

• Dope stuff! You should let your uncle get in contact with P.P.U. Records !!!!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i'll be waiting is ill!
    did you ever mention this before!

• That one with the fuzzy tits is fine!

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    pcmr said:
    i'll be waiting is ill!
    did you ever mention this before!
    at the beginning of the "i'll be waiting" (which is awesome btw.) it says fritz de jean featuring panache... PANACHE as in fred and debra thompson?

There's still one track missing from the performance

while "I'll Be Waiting" and "Get Tuff" remain the best out of the lot. Still an amazing discovery given this was only seen by a few people on cable TV and then disappeared from the face of the world for 30 years. I wonder why this thread didn't get more reaction on here.

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    "I'll be Waiting" is the joint, these are all actually really good songs. You have the coolest Uncle ever. Who's gonna press an ep for this? I'll put in my pre order now.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    Your uncle is a cool cat.
    This could indeed be interesting in a small (approx 500) pressing but only if the instrumentals for the main tracks are included imo.

• YNOT said:
    You have the coolest Uncle ever.

These tracks are tip top. I'd buy one if it meant this getting a proper release - I'll Be Waiting is great.

• disco_che said:
    I wonder why this thread didn't get more reaction on here.

I agree

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    Where do I start...It didn't get more attention because:
    -it's music related
    -it isn't one of the tiresome clone posts about the same f*in topic every month
    -it doesn't involve rappers no-one really cares about

etc...
    etc...
    etc...

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Great stuff, thanks for sharing! "I'll be waiting" was really nice too, total smoothness!

BTW M*rtin - I can definitely see the similarity. Get the hairdo, the outfit and some gold and you could show those hipsters in Copenhagen what men's fashion is all about!

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    Put me down for a 12" !!

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    Martin said:
    m_dejean said:
    In the late 70s/early 80s he was a member of Mandrill (he's on their album "Energized" from '82).

you're still picking War tho right?

haha... ,;)

GREAT to finally see your uncle do his thing, fritz is def the man !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!and yeah, there do seem to be a pretty close resemblance look wise, a smooth operator like yourself homie, haha!!!

Sweet_Premium said:
    Damn! This was really good:

Nice video! A bit like the Aaron Broomfield - I'm gonna miss ya video

daamn, this track is hot!!
    reminds me a bit of the world is a ghetto, with the groove..
    dope vocal too!

would love to check out what your uncle has hidden away in his desk of other older pre mandrill material.. ?

• Fuckin awesome. I have a 70's Mexican disco record that my dad played wah wah guitar on. haha pretty kool.

Just rememberd this thread and wondered if somebody has tried to work out a proper release. Thought these finds were quite amazing.

• these are fire! i'd grab a copy too! thanks for sharing!