Post a Good Documentary You Have Seen Recently

DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts
edited December 2015 in Off Topic (NRR)
Any suggestions?

I just watched A Night in Havana: Dizzy Gillespie in Cuba from 1989, very good.

I have eschewed most other movie watching besides documentaries of late.

Comments

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    just to reaffirm...

• Does anyone know anywhere on the net where I can watch or download Thunder Soul - The Kashmere Stage Band doc?

Thanks

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    EXIT THROUGH THE GIFT SHOP:

BRA BOYS:

Swansea Love Story:

• Dear Zachary
    A documentary about Adults accused of child molestation in Bakersfield..horrible. Can't remember the name, caught it on Netflix.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    badder_than_evil said:
    Dear Zachary
    A documentary about Adults accused of child molestation in Bakersfield..horrible. Can't remember the name, caught it on Netflix.

Was it Capturing the Friedmans? That was a really interesting, crazy-ass movie that was definitely worth watching and that I will never watch again.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    badder_than_evil said:
    Dear Zachary

Was itCapturing the Friedmans? That was a really interesting, crazy-ass movie that was definitely worth watching and that I will never watch again.

Dear Zachary is the most harrowing film i have seen in a long while, i cried my eyes out.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    badder_than_evil said:
    Dear Zachary

Yeah, that second one has to be ...Friedmans.

If you liked those two, I recommend Brother's Keeper. It's just as captivating as those, but not as emotionally heavy.

"A HEARTWARMING TALE OF MURDER"

http://www.amazon.com/Brothers-Keeper-Delbert-Ward/dp/B00008DDJ6

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    badder_than_evil said:
    Dear Zachary

I cannot cosign "Dear Zachary" enough. But jesus if that movie didn't make me cry like a motherfucker. fucking absolutely gut-wrenching the shit dudes parents had to deal with.

and to be clear..."Dear Zachary" isn't about child molestation...cuz its hard to discern that b_t_e is talking about 2 different movies in his post above.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Don't You Forget About Me - A Tribute to John Hughes

• streaming on NetFlix right now.....

• "Still Bill"
    documentary about Bill Withers thats really worth a watch. hes an inspiring dude

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRetUqQbDc4

• jlee said:
    badder_than_evil said:
    Dear Zachary

I cannot cosign "Dear Zachary" enough. But jesus if that movie didn't make me cry like a motherfucker. fucking absolutely gut-wrenching the shit dudes parents had to deal with.

and to be clear..."Dear Zachary" isn't about child molestation...cuz its hard to discern that b_t_e is talking about 2 different movies in his post above.

Didn't think of that was just listing them quickly.

Dear Zachary is not about molestation.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I'm not sure if 'Exit through the gift shop' is an actual documentary or a work of fiction.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    It's kinda old now, but the Nick Drake doc. 'A skin too few' is very good.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    ja_bruce said:

big cosignage

also;

Dreaming by Numbers

And Dictator Hunter

Enjoy Poverty

• I watched this the other night, and I have to admit the trailer here sucks, but the doc was short and sweet, very enjoyable. I'd recommend it to anyone just looking for some easy going entertainment with a good story.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Fantastic. NEVER going to be another fashion designer like Valentino.......

• ketan said:
    badder_than_evil said:
    Dear Zachary

no it it doesn't sound like capturing the friedmans which is not in bakersfield but rather long island. i think you are referring to witch hunt narrated by sean penn?

• Monster Camp - all about LARP

Skateboard Kings - good footage of the Dogtown skaters doing their thing

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=27737

Swedish Doc on Albert Ayler: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1KIE6FMZ
    it's mostly in english (not dubbed) but there are some short passages in swedish

• Between the Folds. About some serious next level origami. Only saw the first 20 minutes or so, but shit blew my mind.

Pressure Cooker. About a high school cooking competition. Feel-good, heart warming stuff. Really good, if you are into that sort of thing.

Objectified. About industrial design. not amazing, but really interesting.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    I watched Cities on Speed - Bogota last year and it really made me not too excited about going to visit. "A city of people who hated their city" (or something like that).

Anyhow, I visited last month and had a great itme. So, the stuff in the doc must have worked.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    The Mumbai one was boring unless you like endless footage of NIMBY meetings.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    If you're looking for artful older fare I heartily recommend the Allan King box set just released by Eclipse (Criterion "no frills" sub-label). The late 60s / early 70s titles such as A Married Couple and Come On Children will thrill fans of the Maysles, Frederick Wiseman, etc.

• AKallDay said:
    ketan said:
    badder_than_evil said:
    Dear Zachary

no it it doesn't sound like capturing the friedmans which is not in bakersfield but rather long island. i think you are referring to witch hunt narrated by sean penn?

Bingo.
    Thats the one.

I started watching "I Need That Record" two days ago, got 17 minutes in and stopped.
    Not sure if I'll go back..

• this a good one if you are a fan of garage rock...arguably, Fort Worth probably had the greatest garage scene of any city in the country as far as sheer numbers of realy really good bands and records
    kicks79

• BBC's Lost Land of the Tiger. About searching for tigers in Bhutan, 4-5000 feet up in the Himalayas. Some group is trying to make a tiger corridor to link up all the small habitats and enclaves. Brilliant. BBC is without question, king of the natural world documentary.