great argentine records

lasaruslasarus 23 Posts
edited April 2005 in Music Talk
been in buenos aires and mendoza in argentina for a month now and picked up some great records, specially a poetry/fusionjazz record called Borca Buenos Aires, some great records by Lito Vitale fusion band MIA, some Lalo Schifrin and Gato Barbieri records and of course Astor Piazollas tangojazz albums which is amazing (especially the ones from his Milan period)simple question, do anyone know any other great albums from Argentinia?????thankslars

Comments

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    Augustin Pereyra Lucena... great bossa guitarist.

• los gatos are dope
    charlie garcia has some nice records
    piero

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    I got a great one on e-bay a few years ago by Los Barbaros (The Barbarians). Their 1970 LP has great covers of "Spirit in the Sky" and "Magic Carpet Ride" in Spanish plus some really cool psych/fuzz originals (or at least songs I don't recognize).

• jorge lopez ruiz 5 - "de prepo" on ten

jazz band de free - "ego" on Ten

quinteplus - S/T on EMI

These are all fantastic, creative, early jazz fusion. Quite pricey unless you get lucky.

If you find any electronic or electro acoustic, like "musica electroacustica" on MCBA or Musica Argentina Contemporanea vol. 2 on Ten, let me know!!!

• keep it goin keep it goin....

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Pescado Rabioso
    Vox Dei
    Almendra
    El Reloj

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    I have this compilation from Argentina called "Alta Tension". Has a couple of decent tunes, but the standout Kingston Karachi's version of Van Morrison's "I Shall Sing" ("Yo Cantare", but sung in English). You might want to check her out.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    I have this compilation from Argentina called "Alta Tension". Has a couple of decent tunes, but the standout Kingston Karachi's version of Van Morrison's "I Shall Sing" ("Yo Cantare", but sung in English). You might want to check her out.

i think that must be the record i found on Sunday while out and about. It's got a bunch of folks on motorcycles on the cover, and it's color wax, right?

will pass this on for any who are interested.

No, just regular black vinyl with twin Latinas on the cover

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    No, just regular black vinyl with twin Latinas on the cover

hmmm... maybe i have a different pressing.

who are some of the other groups on it? I remember the last tune being by a group called Katunga i believe...

sorry, not at home right now.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    the loved/hated LA Negros were from Argentinia.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    thought they were from chile?

chivo borraro was from agentina.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    thought they were from chile?

oh.... nevermind then...

• BTW there's also a Quinteplus album from the 80s that's a live show from the 70s. They both have this fuggin creature on them. It should be in the worst cover art thread.

I'm not at home either so I got the names off a South American website: Manolo Galvan, Silvana Di Lorenzo, Charles Aznavour, Erasmo Carlos, Juan Marcelo, Palito Ortega, Ricardo DuPont, Kingston Karachi, Camilo Sesto, Sergio Reis, Alain Debray. Again, the LP is not spectacular other than that Kingston Karachi cover. But upon searching the web, I did notice that there are a few "Alta Tension"s. You must have the "...En Sotano Beat" one. There is a band named Katunga, though, but I dont think they were from Argentina. They do have this one LP on Arcano with a funky rumba cut with organ, ARP, horn section and a really long bass breakdown

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Vox Dei
    Thats a dope fucking record.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Dude, I'm off to Buenos Aires and Montevideo in early May. We should hook up.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    BTW there's also a Quinteplus album from the 80s that's a live show from the 70s. They both have this fuggin creature on them. It should be in the worst cover art thread.

I think that's a great cover. If hcrink wants it for an avatar, I'll hand it over.

• lasaruslasarus 23 Posts
    thanks for all the great tips, found some of them down here others are really hard to find
    off to peru and new york in a week

lars

• thanks for all the great tips, found some of them down here others are really hard to find
    off to peru and new york in a week

lars

So... which ones did you pick up??

after meeting a dealer and paying allot of cash in argentine standards i found

jorge lopez ruiz 5 de prapo album and a jazz band de free album but the real killer was Bronca Buenos Aires with music by Jorge Lopez Ruiz and texts by Jose Tcherkaski

also astor piazollas albums tango contemprorara and reunion cumbre with gery muligan are very good fusion tangoalbums

also by chance found some nice janko nilovics albums

peace

l

• after meeting a dealer and paying allot of cash in argentine standards i found

jorge lopez ruiz 5 de prapo album and a jazz band de free album but the real killer was Bronca Buenos Aires with music by Jorge Lopez Ruiz and texts by Jose Tcherkaski

also astor piazollas albums tango contemprorara and reunion cumbre with gery muligan are very good fusion tangoalbums

NICE! You got the whole whatmusic reissue series.

Bronca Buenos Aires is a good one, too. Personally I like "de prepo" over that style of big band funk, but they are both quality. Jorge Ruiz did some amazing stuff in the early 70s.

If you want to part with the jazz band de free, let me know via PM. I'm looking for a copy.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    off to peru[/b] and new york in a week

Peru is where its at! If you find any copies of We All Together, Traffic Sound, Gerardo Manuel y el Humo, or Telegraph Ave, let me know, I'll make it worth your while (no ayo), especially if your gonna be in NY later on.

also found a really good album by bass player Alfredo Remus NARDIS which has Jorge Navarro on it and some good originals as well as miles and corea covers, but the stand out is the percussionist Pocho Lapouble track Pepis a real jazz groover.

I also picked up for 70 dollars Jorge Lopez Ruiz de Grito album, theink it came out some years before de prepo, hadnt had a chance to listen to it properly but its more big band based,,,,,,,,,,

now im in lima, gonna keep you updated if i find any of the records mentioned

L

• Wicked.... Grito is a good LP, a little earlier tho, has more of a 60s sound.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    after meeting a dealer and paying allot of cash in argentine standards i found

NICE! You got the whole whatmusic reissue series.

Bronca Buenos Aires is a good one, too. Personally I like "de prepo" over that style of big band funk, but they are both quality. Jorge Ruiz did some amazing stuff in the early 70s.

If you want to part with the jazz band de free, let me know via PM. I'm looking for a copy.

Bronca Buenos Aires (71), also released in US on the Catalyst label in 1977 (with a diffrent cover than the original), entitled Amour Buenos Aires, this record is super dope, has some really heavy moments bigband style, nice sound on the organ and lots of funky bass lines....(the other 50% is jazz).
    Another Jorge Lopez Ruiz album you might wanna scoop up while hanging out in Argentina is Viejas Raices- De las colonias del Rio de la Plata on the Trova label 75,... extremely dope rhodes/synth jazzfusion, latin style, and influenced by what was going on musically in the states (mid 70's),... Herbie Hancock, Weather Report and even a little Rufus...

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    look out for this dude on your travels

• Peru is where its at! If you find any copies of We All Together[/b], I'll make it worth your while (no ayo), especially if your gonna be in NY later on.

Well,

I was in Germany on this fleamarket last summer and found an incredible well shaped original copy of this.

If you want to drop some good money just send me a PM.

Greetings
    Seb