NBA OFFSEASON 2010: BRONMANIA aka FA INSANITY

Comments

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:
    faux_rillz said:
    There's a lot to like about the Celtics, but they have just become my least favorite team by signing the league's two most loathsome players in Nate Robinson and the Big Fail.

but you can't deny the idea of seeing old man Shaq Fu help take out Miami and/or L.A. in a Celtics uniform has potential. I've never been a Shaq fan, but not a hater either. 4 rings kind of squash the "Big Fail" tag. Besides, it will only work in Boston if he knows his role and stays in his lane - nobody expects him to dominate the game, but he is not without value and I am fully down with this signing.

BOSTON SUCKS BOSTON SUCKS BOSTON SUCKS

COME AGAIN

Not that anyone cares, but Shannon Brown signs 2 year, $4.6 mil deal! YES.

• HarveyCanal said:
    We're all fans of the NBA here, all good. But those who really really ride for the NBA, like it's the end all be all, are really the most homo-thug brothers and the white/Asian/Latino pipsqueaks who love them, period.

Len Bias > Michael Jordan

DEAL.

What in the hell are you talking about.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    jibber-jabber

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    yuichi said:

that's a great value for the lakers. they're good at that.
    where's jerry west at these days? shouldn't him and the lakers front office be aligning right about now for some collusive adam morrison for durant straight up type shit?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    what's the video w/ Bobby Brown rockin' a Len Bias jersey?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    faux_rillz said:
    Rockadelic said:
    batmon said:
    G_Balliando said:
    The talent level might not be as high, but the NCAA is just a more exciting game to watch.

Every game means something in the short NCAA season.

No collegiate athletic contest means anything ever

Unlike the sententious National Basketball Association where every game is momentus.

This is a League of Stars

b/w

Do you even know what "sententious" means?

SoulOnIce said:
    faux_rillz said:
    There's a lot to like about the Celtics, but they have just become my least favorite team by signing the league's two most loathsome players in Nate Robinson and the Big Fail.

but you can't deny the idea of seeing old man Shaq Fu help take out Miami and/or L.A. in a Celtics uniform has potential. I've never been a Shaq fan, but not a hater either. 4 rings kind of squash the "Big Fail" tag. Besides, it will only work in Boston if he knows his role and stays in his lane - nobody expects him to dominate the game, but he is not without value and I am fully down with this signing.

Five games in he is gonna start grumbling about how "You gotta feed the big dog"

Just watch

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    batmon said:
    G_Balliando said:
    The talent level might not be as high, but the NCAA is just a more exciting game to watch.

Every game means something in the short NCAA season. .

Like the early games before the conference games start where a top team usually plays at least a few crap teams to kick their ass and boost their record? Yeah, those exemplify competition and the spirit of the NCAA.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    motown67 said:
    Rockadelic said:
    batmon said:
    G_Balliando said:

Like the early games before the conference games start where a top team usually plays at least a few crap teams to kick their ass and boost their record? Yeah, those exemplify competition and the spirit of the NCAA.

Losing one of those "patsy" games can ruin a whole season for a team.

I'm a fan of basketball, on any/every level.

If you enjoy the Miami Heat vs. the NY Knicks more than I enjoy Texas vs. Lamar or Lincoln HS vs. South Oak Cliff HS.....that's certainly your perogative.

Competition & Spirit is not predicated on talent level or big dollar contracts.

Rockadelic said:
    motown67 said:
    Rockadelic said:
    batmon said:
    G_Balliando said:

If you enjoy the Miami Heat vs. the NY Knicks more than I enjoy Texas vs. Lamar or Lincoln HS vs. South Oak Cliff HS.....that's certainly your perogative.

I agree but the whole NCAA or WNBA or HS is more "pure" basketball is str8 bullshit.

Rockadelic said:
    motown67 said:
    Rockadelic said:
    batmon said:
    G_Balliando said:

I agree but the whole NCAA or WNBA or HS is more "pure" basketball is str8 bullshit.

I don't think I said anything about one being "more pure".....my original comments were aimed at Faux claiming all NCAA games were "meaningless"......not sure what "meaning" he is getting from the NBA either.

I've seen GREAT H.S., College and Pro games and I've seen crappy ones on all levels.....Hell I used to enjoy watching never was and has beens playing on the playground down in the Village with cans in brown paper bags taking the place of Gatorade.

While I enjoy the NBA I don't particularly enjoy the "Entertainment Tonight" aspect of the L and some of it's players.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    batmon said:

You cant separate the off court "drama" from the actual game?

I'm more referring to the on-court drama with the corrupt officiating, selfish superstar play/pouting and crying, and all the other game-related drama with contracts and scandalous trades and blah blah blah.

Rockadelic said:
    batmon said:
    G_Balliando said:

Every game means something in the short NCAA season.

The fact that the season ends in a one and done tourney is just icing on the cake.

Plus the players at the top level are trying to attain draft spots and their subsequent fortunes so they (usually) leave it all out there on the court.

Exactly. This makes it more exciting IMO.

yuichi said:
    No shit.

But the only reason why you weren't interested in the gawdamnnn NBA Finals which could have swung either way last year was because YOU DIDN'T HAVE A STAKE IN IT (read: your team was not in it)

Hush, child. Nobody gives a shit about what your ignorant yahoo sports reading steven a smith slobbering ass has to say. You're like the little kid who tried his whole childhood to be down, but never really figured it out.

Harvey - Len Bias: biggest tragedy in basketball history?

Also, Rock, I'm the one who said NCAA games are more pure (although I did not say that about the WNBA, that's batmon inserting words where they never existed). Argue it one way or the other if you like, but that's how I see it. Team work seems to be a more important value at the college level. That, to me, makes the game. A bunch of super athletic beasts trying to individually dominate the court is more akin to And1 than it is pure basketball, IMO. Purity does exist in the NBA, just not consistently.

PURITY is bullshit.

The Harlem Globetrotters arent real basketball?

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    G_Balliando said:
    batmon said:

You cant separate the off court "drama" from the actual game?

I'm more referring to the on-court drama with the corrupt officiating, selfish superstar play/pouting and crying, and all the other game-related drama with contracts and scandalous trades and blah blah blah. .

Yeah, and none of that happens in college ball. How many b-ball programs have been busted for paying players, etc.??? USC just went down. Calipari gets busted everywhere he goes. College players transfer because they don't like their coach. Big time programs put on shows just like the NBA. Did you see any of the stuff Kentucky did for John Wall last year? Not to mention the NCAA is just as much of a big business as the NBA.

And back to my original point, the majority of college games consist of teams walking the ball up the court, and then passing the ball around the perimeter for 25 out of 35 seconds before making a play. That is not exciting or enjoyable to me at all.

NCAA = More White Players

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    batmon said:
    NCAA = More White Players

RLMAO

G_Balliando said:
    A bunch of super athletic beasts.

NBA = Too Black

batmon said:
    G_Balliando said:
    A bunch of super athletic beasts.

NBA = Too Black

If that was a concern I'd watch Hockey, which I don't.

I enjoy fundamentals.....I enjoy watching a well coached game....I think the greatest single game I ever watched was the 1972 UCLA - Florida State Championship game......and NO team has ever been more fun for me to watch than the 1985 St. John's squad that had Walter Berry, Mark Jackson, Chris Mullin, the very under rated Willie Glass and the coaching of legend Lou Carnasecca.

• I find NCAA basketball fairly close to unwatchable at this point, owing to the quality of play and players.

Which is unfortunate, as owing to my job, I watch a lot of it.

But, seriously... Some Big Ten 48-44 sludgefest usually shows nothing in the way of purity. Usually, it shows a lot of fouls, stupid turnovers, and missed mid-range jumpers leading to a slew of poorly thought out 3-point shots.

Man, college basketball is brutal.

What's "worse" you traditionalists.......

LeBron to Miami
    Shaq(LA) to The Celtics
    Rick Fox - Celtics & LA
    Chamberlain - Philly/LA

JimBeam said:
    yuichi said:

that's a great value for the lakers. they're good at that.
    where's jerry west at these days? shouldn't him and the lakers front office be aligning right about now for some collusive adam morrison for durant straight up type shit?

hahahahhahahaa. Funniest shit I've read from you in a while. LOL

batmon said:

LeBron to Miami
    Shaq(LA) to The Celtics
    Rick Fox - Celtics & LA
    Chamberlain - Philly/LA

One and two are equally bad.

If Miami can't win a title in the next few years though, they're gonna be the laughingstock amongst NBA fans.

It's sad but maybe true, you can't win a title without having two or three superstars now-a-days.

As much as I've liked Lebron up to this point, i cringe at the thought of him/wade/bosh accepting the Larry O'Brien trophy (not gonna happen) and complementing on how great the other is......the ultimate diplomatic soft-batch move, IMO. At least Kobe and Shaq were fighting over top dawg position even during the championship years!

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    batmon said:

LeBron to Miami
    Shaq(LA) to The Celtics
    Rick Fox - Celtics & LA
    Chamberlain - Philly/LA

Worst of all?

Isiah back to the Knicks.

Beyond comprehension.

Just when the Dolans couldn't get any dumber....

• Options
    A suggested fantasy league team name from Bill Simmons of ESPN:

The Premature Pitinos.

Made me laugh.

• Horseleech said:
    batmon said:

LeBron to Miami
    Shaq(LA) to The Celtics
    Rick Fox - Celtics & LA
    Chamberlain - Philly/LA

Worst of all?

Beyond comprehension.

Jesus fucking Christ.

• December 2 is going to feel almost like Brett Favre's return to Lambeau in a Vikings uniform. If LeBron does that pre-game chalk thing, I can only imagine the fans throwing some of it at him. Only thing is I wonder who on the Cavs team will hear the chant of "M.V.P" while taking free throws. GO MO!

So Isiah single handedly tanked the franchise?

Why did Riley and Van Gundy both leave on a sour note?

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    batmon said:
    So Isiah single handedly tanked the franchise?

Why did Riley and Van Gundy both leave on a sour note?

Did you follow his tenure with the Knicks at all?

Isiah is a one man wrecking crew that could tank several franchises at once if he was given the chance.

He gives a huge contract to Eddy Curry, a player nobody wanted and who has not been in adequate condition a single day of his contract.

Refuses to settle the sexual harassment case out of court (which he could have done for 100g) and it ends up costing 11 million.

It goes on and on.

But in a way you're right. None of this matters because as long as the dark cloud of the Dolans hangs over MSG there is no hope.

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Horseleech said:
    batmon said:

LeBron to Miami
    Shaq(LA) to The Celtics
    Rick Fox - Celtics & LA
    Chamberlain - Philly/LA

Worst of all?

Beyond comprehension.

Jesus fucking Christ.

Reportedly without Walsh's consent

Simply incredible